MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
If no TM is to get over 30 hours then that means no benefits. Two of our longest serving inbound TMs will definitely be gone as they need this job for insurance. I and a bunch of others will be leaving as it's not worth coming in 5 days a week only to get 20 hours for the week. One was already planning on leaving at the end of May. That only leaves 2 others inbound TMs whom I don't know their intentions yet.

Target is going to find it difficult to find business owners happy to work only 4 hour shifts.

Payroll cutting is a misconception of modernization. Hours don't get cut they get reallocated. someone is either not scheduling to the op model or not allocating right. Even on a non truck day at the low volume stores in my district the style team has at minimum 4 tms plus the lead.

We are a B volume and we have one Style TM and one Lead for most of the day on the floor and 2 to break out and push. And that's on a truck day 4 days a week.

Before the first meeting even started this morning an older tm was telling me they won't climb ladders ever. They are a previous inbound tm now in baby hl and was told to pull a batch. Does the ADA cover a person just being older and worried about going up a ladder??

Last edited:
Our TL meeting today was awesome. About an hour. We were told no one is losing their job, they will find a spot for everyone, all TL and TM . We all know what our new titles and roles are. We are gaining 2 TL for the positions that none of us want. We have 6 months to fully train and work with the tm’s to get them to know the new expectations. Information given to tm’s at huddle and 1:1 over the next few weeks. I feel like we are starting off on the right foot with information and support. Taking it slow.

Can confirm a few things after our meeting.

- Team members are not to get over 30 hours
- team members unwilling or able to do ladders learn opu work faster and harder etc are to be termed regardless of age or physical or mental disabilities
- team leads are eligible for “incentives” more info to come in june
- dcs will not be changed for the foreseeable future we are expected to “make it work or be termed”
Well that's something that was left out of our meeting...not one word was said about the hours....shocker

Just got out of a meeting with my STL. Turns out, Brian Cornell made a deal with the demon cthulu in order to compete with Amazon. And, in return, Cthulu asked for the livelihood of half of Target's Team Members. Obviously Brian couldn't state this publicly, so he had his team come up with a way to do this discretely. They called it Modernization.
Sadly, that seems to explain a lot...

Before the first meeting even started this morning an older tm was telling me they won't climb ladders ever. They are a previous inbound tm now in baby hl and was told to pull a batch. Does the ADA cover a person just being older and worried about going up a ladder??
They would need a doctor's excuse to why they can't use ladders based on a medical condition. Saying I can't or won't is not acceptable as a reason.

The meeting at my store (TL) was about 2 hours. Our STL gave the impression that team members that can do it all will be given plenty of hours. Those that cannot, won’t. We’re slightly over headcount, but told not to worry. Those that were the ‘extras’ will be kept until something opens up. Good meeting overall. The front end will be a huge focus this year. It’s going to be rough. Though, I’d imagine it will be that way for most stores.

at this point this thread has almost zero information because i'm pretty sure a couple people in here are posting complete bullshit lmao.

I'm getting over 30 hours, and that isn't changing unless they're going to unnecessarily add another Electronics TM.

We have a shit ton of people that can't use ladders and if they all get fired I would be surprised as that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
My store right now has 7 people for electronics and just hired an 8th person. When questioned I was told that's how many people we were supposed to have.

When I check here literally no one has that many people working in their electronics. We are not a Super Target. P Fresh B volume.

I just assume all my leaders are full of shit tbh. I refused to believe we are supposed to have 8 people when we use to run on 4 who got full time hours with rotating weekends off, and had an extra person that worked part time hours. You knew who did what and everything looked nice and ran well.

They would need a doctor's excuse to why they can't use ladders based on a medical condition. Saying I can't or won't is not acceptable as a reason.
I'll use it when they get one with a higher weight capacity. I'm not going to climb it, fall, and then have them tell me I shouldn't have been on it anyways and not pay my medical bills.

I'm a PTL now, but I"ve been a Flow and Market TM, and the unofficial Backroom TL for like the longest time ,and just received my new role as GM TL, was either that or Foods and Beverage TL. I was told at my meeting to identify the TMs' strengths and designate a role for them, i.e. someone that sucks at backstocking but ok at pushing will do most of the backstocking when its a lot or when we are behind, but that TM that sucks at backstocking will still have to do it themselves if they bring just a handful (say half a smart-cart) of backstock. Excited about the changes, but still a lot of questions need to be answered. Our STL either won't or can't share more info, or just doesn't know the answers himself.

I'm still curious about the opening/closing piece. I guess we'll find out soon enough, but if the GSTLs/Leads/whatever are mids and there are no GSAs, will they just rotate well-qualified cashiers to open/close until they bring everyone up to speed? (Having them come in, for example, 7:30-1 and 6-11:30 to avoid that sixth hour, thereby cutting payroll?) Are cashiers closing their own registers? Is GS closing the Service Desk registers? I know the GSTMs and Electronics TMs can close theirs, no problem. The idea of a few of our cashiers doing it makes me nervous.
Gsa is going away , all cashier will be able to override , and all cashiers will learn how to close /open registers , sd and cash office.

Whether it works or not the fact is that it's not going away. Its not going to be pretty or easy for some. There is garranteed to be alot of turnover right off the bat but it's not going away. Our TL meeting this morning didn't answer any questions and I'm still in the dark as to where I'm moving to since Plano TL is now gone. So I get it's hard to be positive when all my TMs are stressed and frustrated and morale is so low and just want answers same as me. We can either roll with it or leave.

I'm just concentrating on teaching as many TMs as I can how to do pricing, salvage, how to read and set a pog and all the little things that go along with it that aren't on that planogram paper while I can. I haven't had a 'team' for like 6 months. I may not be as positive and it definitely sucks but I'm going to make sure my stores TMs are completely lost when they are responsible for their own pogs.
We will have a GM leader who owns transitions as well as certain areas. We will have 4 presentation experts. So in a sense presentation exist but you also own areas and help set the big transitions throughout the store. We ended up one TL to many though so not sure if I will keep my position or be transferred.

My store right now has 7 people for electronics and just hired an 8th person. When questioned I was told that's how many people we were supposed to have.

When I check here literally no one has that many people working in their electronics. We are not a Super Target. P Fresh B volume.

I just assume all my leaders are full of shit tbh. I refused to believe we are supposed to have 8 people when we use to run on 4 who got full time hours with rotating weekends off, and had an extra person that worked part time hours. You knew who did what and everything looked nice and ran well.

Those 4 got 40 hours a week and benefits. If they 'fully staff' the department that's 8 getting 20 hours each and no one works enough for insurance.

Man, this is a really bad idea...

They're going to end up with college students and working moms.

None of whom are known to stay long at jobs with shit hours

I would say the close-to-retired or older folks wanting something to do, but from what I've read here, Target would rather not employ people of a certain age.

Man, this is a really bad idea...

They're going to end up with college students and working moms.

None of whom are known to stay long at jobs with shit hours

I would say the close-to-retired or older folks wanting something to do, but from what I've read here, Target would rather not employ people of a certain age.
Most of the people at my store are working Moms and I’d say the average length time of working at Target for them is 7 or so years.

I’m also a working mom, but just became one after working at Target for 11 years.

Most of the people at my store are working Moms and I’d say the average length time of working at Target for them is 7 or so years.

I’m also a working mom, but just became one after working at Target for 11 years.

Sorry, I'm up way, way late and I left out an important word. Single working moms is what I meant to say. With the new lack of hours I can't imagine any of them will be able or want to keep working here. Most of the ones at my store have been looking for other jobs

Back