MEGATHREAD 2018-2019 Store Modernization Megathread

[OPINION] How do you feel about these changes?

• I like them.

• I dislike them.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Are unload start times the same company wide?or are they still dependant on sales? Has anyone taken a double w the new process? I'd think it impossible to take two trucks with a inbound team only scheduled for 4 hours. I'd think it nearly impossible to unload one, push it all, unload the second and get through pp1 of the second even if they gave inbound a full 8 hour shift.
No that’s why is tested in multiple markets. There are plenty of stores that take doubles daily so I’m just going to Go ahead and say yes to that one. Modernization doesn’t say anywhere inbound gets 4 hour shifts, that’s store discretion. Also it’s 100% possible because “inbound” isn’t supposed to push all the freight. They unload the truck and then some go home and some transition over to their designated areas to push PP1. We are a push all day process PP1 first and early and PP2 throughout the day. HQ does not expect someone to unload and push a double with 4 hour shifts. These are expectations your store is setting and part of that is them living in the past. Push All Day

And 99% of these problems stem from the fact Target won't use set schedules for TMs. Expecting wide open availability for part time, irregular hours works better for robots than for human beings.
Target was able to brilliantly come up with modernization 😆 , so they could come up with a way to do a set schedule if they wanted to. But I did say “if they wanted to”, they consider employees too expendable nowadays to bother with what would make their work lives easier so I doubt it would ever happen.

It was piloted across the country all of 2018. They chose various store models in various markets. The tested in small format, super, pfresh, single floor, double floors, small volume, large volume. This is that largest structure change in a very long time so they did their research. That being said I’m not agreeing they took all the feedback but they definitely did the research and tested in all options

It was piloted. However, all pilots were not the same. My store was a pilot store. We piloted various aspects of the new op model. We did not do the whole thing. Corporate took chunks of their plans and gave them to us to test out. We are considered enough of doing the new OP model that we got MyDay on the first day of its rollout.

Now, that we've been given the final plans after the pilots we're having problems with full implementation. Lots of stuff we were asked to pilot didn't make it. There's some stuff we never were asked to pilot that is in the final plan. We're hitting some brick walls. Hard enough brick walls that we didn't come clean on a 1100 DPCI truck this weekend.

Last edited:
How could they? TLs and ETLs just found out about it 2 weeks ago. STLs haven’t known about it for much longer than that. This week is the earliest possible week that could be scheduled with modernization, but that doesn’t mean it has to be this week.
My entire district is apparently real far behind. The DTL worked to visit all the stores as quickly as possible and required some changes to be implemented within 24 hours. Looks like he/she is trying to play catch up as to not get fired

Talked to my STL today about how things were going and he likes the idea of everyone 'owning' their own area. What's killing us is the truck not being pushed until once the store is open. Apparently the DTL is raising the proposal to bring back an overnight team (or even 5 or 6) to work 10pm to 6am or around 3am for 8 hours. They would push the truck, backstock freight and do pulls and backstock those.

Essentially the way Modernization is but with the truck process being overnight. I think this is a great idea and our dayside TMs would be a lot less stressed if they didn't have to push their truck freight. I don't see any other way of doing it besides this way come q4. We an hire all the seasonal help we want but there's only a limited amount of space in our backroom for freight and vehicles.
People owning their area includes pushing it. It’s not modernization without it. Modernization gets rid of specialty teams.

Your DTL is gonna get fired.

You need to be certified on any powered equipment before using it. That TL should know that “describing it to you once” isn’t going to cut it. You need to watch the powered equipment safety video on the computer, and receive practical training where a trainer shows you how to use the equipment and certifies you when you are proficient, anything less can be dangerous for you or others. You only have to watch the video once even if you are being certified on multiple types of powered equipment. Your ETL-Log (or whatever they are called now) should be able to set you up with a trainer. Good luck!

Gosh, I don't know if I remember ever watching a video for the powered equipment at my old store. My new store I was asked if I knew how to use them and I said yes, and that was that. I was not allowed to train anyone else. We have so many pallets that I can't get on the plug wall with the wave and our ladder magically disappeared. Cool.

Sounds like they need to hire those who despise any social interaction. Trolls from beneath the bridge seem ideal, but then there’s that whole “everyone cashiers”. Trolls hate cashiering, They are not alone

Tonight I was told they're trying to eliminate backup cashiers. What? So we don't need to retrain everyone to cashier?

I tried not to laugh when I heard that...

Gosh, I don't know if I remember ever watching a video for the powered equipment at my old store. My new store I was asked if I knew how to use them and I said yes, and that was that. I was not allowed to train anyone else. We have so many pallets that I can't get on the plug wall with the wave and our ladder magically disappeared. Cool.

Tonight I was told they're trying to eliminate backup cashiers. What? So we don't need to retrain everyone to cashier?

I tried not to laugh when I heard that...
Because during peak, 2 gstls and the etl will all be working. They should be first responders.

Our store is falling apart, it looks worse than fourth quarter. Nobody is pushing Easter candy we have pallets lined up from one end to the other in the stockroom. Nobody seems to care, right now softlines truck push is more important. Easter is Sunday. They won't let us flex the candy instead they'd rather not sell it.
I don't understand this place anymore. I've been there for a long time and it's the worst I've ever seen.
Our store is known for being a shitshow. But this, this is the worst.
We have a horrible Stl who needs fired. Leads who have been there killing themselves for years at this place, are great at their job, and know their shit, are now on the verge of getting fired because our Stl won't make any decisions and had to be told from the Dtl what to do. People are getting thrown under the bus for shit they didn't do. And they are still keeping everyone's jobs a secret. They do a one on one but won't tell them anything.

Btw, he's new to our store, our last stl was killing it at this store, he busted his ass, got shit done, and we were looking good (we all miss him), it's all gone downhill since this guy started. People are quitting, miserable, and angry.
It's impossible to move in the back room, you can't get a vehicle through, let alone pull a batch, do sfs, or even backstock.
There's no racks for softlines to break out the truck on, we get pulled to push reshop z-racks just so truck can use them. We have pallets upon pallets of clothing that are sitting in the stockroom, not getting pushed from weeks ago. To do sfs, you now have to dig through tons of crap just to end up inf-ing it anyway. It takes hours to pull one sfs batch. Our numbers are crap.
Sorry for the rant, but I just can't take much more of this.

Last edited:
Our store is falling apart, it looks worse than fourth quarter. Nobody is pushing Easter candy we have pallets lined up from one end to the other in the stockroom. Nobody seems to care, right now softlines truck push is more important. Easter is Sunday. They won't let us flex the candy instead they'd rather not sell it.
I don't understand this place anymore. I've been there for 21 years and it's the worst I've ever seen.
We have a horrible Stl who needs fired. Leads who have been there killing themselves for 23 years at this place, are great at their job, and know their shit, are now on the verge of getting fired because our Stl won't make any decisions and had to be told from the Dtl what to do. People are getting thrown under the bus for shit they didn't do. And they are still keeping everyone's jobs a secret. They do a one on one but won't tell them anything.
In fact, our Stl ripped several pages out of the papers the leads got in their April 1st meeting. So someone from another store sent them over to our leads. Why is he keeping everything a secret?

Btw, he's new to our store, our last stl was killing it at this store, he busted his ass, got shit done, and we were looking good (we all miss him), it's all gone downhill since this guy started. People are quitting, miserable, and angry.
It's impossible to move in the back room, you can't get a vehicle through, let alone pull a batch, do sfs, or even backstock.
There's no racks for softlines to break out the truck on, we get pulled to push reshop z-racks just so truck can use them. We have pallets upon pallets of clothing that are sitting in the stockroom, not getting pushed from weeks ago. To do sfs, you now have to dig through tons of crap just to end up inf-ing it anyway. It takes hours to pull one sfs batch. Our numbers are crap.
Pictures take pictures even if you dont post them you have them as proof of how bad it really is

I don't understand this place anymore. I've been there for 21 years and it's the worst I've ever seen.
We have a horrible Stl who needs fired. Leads who have been there killing themselves for 23 years at this place, are great at their job, and know their shit, are now on the verge of getting fired because our Stl won't make any decisions and had to be told from the Dtl what to do. People are getting thrown under the bus for shit they didn't do. And they are still keeping everyone's jobs a secret. They do a one on one but won't tell them anything.
In fact, our Stl ripped several pages out of the papers the leads got in their April 1st meeting. So someone from another store sent them over to our leads. Why is he keeping everything a secret?

It is funny that Spot thinks they are going to get exceptional TMs at $15 an hour, when they can't even hire/promote competent STLs for yearly six figures.

Don't be surprised if your DTL is soon your former DTL. Word on the loading dock is our DTL was recently fired for suggesting that 5-steps not be done this week and everyone concentrate on just pushing the truck to get as much product to the sales floor as possible. Resistance is futile. We will be assimilated.

What is five steps???

Uload, pull, push, zone, collect abandons, backstock, help guest, set pogs, price change, do defects, Audit, EXF, back up the check lanes all in 6 hours... that’s all I’m expected to do to succeed while certain ETL’s and TL’s walk around drinking coffee...

When I started we had two flow team leads. One who walked around the store spitting chewing tobacco into his soda bottle and talking about his dogs and another who would spend their whole shift sitting at the TSC desk. When they were both on at the same time both would sit up there and do nothing out on the floor or backroom. That was about 17 years ago.

My TL and ETL Log have said they are no longer going to be helping much, if at all, with the truck unload. They said they will instead be doing other tasks. Does anyone know what new responsibilities they have before the store opens?

I can't wait for our former POG TMs to refuse to help salesfloor with their POGs. Oops, sorry, forgot what that fixture was! Guess you can ask your TL! Oh, they don't know? Guess you can mySupport it! Sorry, not my job anymore! 😁
I agree, I don’t see this as good. No one person watches over POG or pricing anymore. The remaining leaders are expected to, gulp, work together. Lol. This won’t end well.
I was just told I own all transitions as well as Chems, Pets, Paper, OTC and Personal Care. I will own the metrics for both Price Change and Transitions set on time. I do not agree I should Own those metrics as it has proven to not work with A&A and now the whole floor. I was Previously Plano/Pricing TL.I feel I am already set up to fail.

Back