Archived 4X4's??? How are they handled in your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past 2 days our store had a all team 4x4 blitz after huddle which can turn into almost a hr or more doing 4x4's in a department each day. Im on a speciality team so each minute counts to finish our workload or we will be here late. Our STL said its not a store thing that is a company thing to blitz it out. I don't believe that, I know 4X4's are back but I want to know how and who are doing them.

They are just handed out at my store. So far as I know, they aren't done all at once.

Usually someone is put on for that. Not that it's been getting done. C and D look like a train wreck. No ptming no zone and for a person like me its killing me. I love ptming and 4x4.

The whole store goes to a specific area (green side on Mondays, grocery on Tuesdays, etc.) at 8:30a-9a and zones, checks labels, facings, capacities, etc. We keep one cashier, the GSTL and electronics in their areas. All specialty teams and logistics are required to help for that half hour. On truck days, that's about 30-40 people.

We would be lucky if you had 10 people that's using everyone except flow and guest services.

The closing team is supposed to do a super zone in a certain area every night. That's zoning to plan-a-gram. The next day the they are supposed to go through and clean the shelf, check for missing labels & signs and do research.
Our hours have been cut so much we can't do a decent job zoning at night let alone do 4 x 4.
The day side struggles to complete their tasks because they're on the lanes all day.
The leaders are really hard-core about doing the super zoning at closing. I was really stressing about it at first then one night we were so short-handed the ETL made a TL help her do the super zone in a huge area. 10 minutes later they were finished. Then I understood. They aren't really worried about us doing the super zone they're worried about us saying we've done the super zone. So now we all just fake it.
Everything is pretty much like that in our store.
One night I thought the LOD wanted us to really do it. He went balletic when we weren't finished in about 15 min. LOL
Sorry 'bout it!
It drives me crazy! I would almost be willing to come in and super zone for free.

Last edited:
I got slightly insulted when they said they were doing 4x4s in toys one day. TL said "we made sure everything was zoned to planogram and pulled forward on the peg hooks." and I just looked at him and told him that it's what I do every night. I don't think the point got across though.

I'd rather they do it in sporting goods.

So look like from some of the responses its happening in other stores too.

We have yet to get on a consistent routine for 4x4's as well. I have seen some store blitz them (but if your store commonly works reshop for smart huddle, you have the entire team doing stuff together for 2+ hours)... I read the FAQ's and it doesn't give much direction. The biggest thing I noticed is that it should simply be built into your store routines. The other expectation is to keep your stores zoned all day, everyday. From what I can tell this means that as your team is zoning (during the middle of the day) they should be spending more time watching for label maintenance and ad issues.

We have a schedule made at the beginning of each week with which team member does which aisles.

4x4's at my store are done every day for one hour between 8am and 11am. It's done like most smart huddles in that the morning huddle is called first, and then everyone is handed a 4x4 worksheet and is assigned an aisle/area. It's become such a big deal and everyone in the store is required to participate, including HR, the SFT, and even AP. It's not just simply zoning though, it's fixing shelf labels, researching outs, and reporting any major issues. Much more detailed than the traditional nightly zone. Even in that hour each team member is only expected to get one aisle done because of the amount of detail they want.

4x4's at my store are done every day for one hour between 8am and 11am. It's done like most smart huddles in that the morning huddle is called first, and then everyone is handed a 4x4 worksheet and is assigned an aisle/area. It's become such a big deal and everyone in the store is required to participate, including HR, the SFT, and even AP. It's not just simply zoning though, it's fixing shelf labels, researching outs, and reporting any major issues. Much more detailed than the traditional nightly zone. Even in that hour each team member is only expected to get one aisle done because of the amount of detail they want.
First problem at our store would be not having equipment. Everything we do needs extra time added in just to chase equipment.

First problem at our store would be not having equipment. Everything we do needs extra time added in just to chase equipment.

We actually set up what's called the "4x4 Smart Cart" which is a dedicated 2-tier cart containing all of the supplies one could need - label holders, peg hooks, a label printer, peghole stoppers, etc. It's been kept well stocked so far so that's been a great resource. We keep it in a central area of the department having the 4x4 in so the team has easy access.

We never do these at our store. Probably why our aisles always look like crap

They get done by TL's and ETL's mostly. They're the only ones with time to spare because we keep a light skeleton crew during the day. I've been asked to do a few just because I happen to have the right training to do them by myself but anyone else with the training is on specialty teams or softlines so ...yeah. Every once in a while the ETLs will go on a blitz and do a section in a couple days but they keep us plebes out of it for the most part (yay).

But I also haven't been to morning huddle in a few weeks so maybe they switched from push/reshop/zone huddles to 4x4s (I doubt it though, haven't heard the bitching that would surely follow).

We never do them. Sometimes, like weeks of a visit, the lods will do 4x4s, but tls and tms never so them.

We do 4x4s from 8 am until noon or 2pm. No time for anything else. Just whoever is on the floor (read sales floor TLs and ETLs) spends the majority of the day doing 4x4s. We're getting nothing else done. No salesplanners, no cafs...just backup cashiering and 4x4s for most of the day.

It's always a good time working in a store with an incompetent STL, ineffective ETLs, TLs that are pitted against each other by the STL in an eternal struggle for limited resources (mainly payroll), a culture that resists change, and where the majority of the leadership team (STL, ETLs, and TLs) doesn't see the store as one team but rather a collection of smaller teams who should only be required to do their job and never help each other.

Last edited:
So...tonight I'm supposed to do 4x4 for the entire grocery section. In 3 hours while helping guests, doing endless backups & probably covering GS lunch & brakes. I'm so tired & fed up that I'm just like, "whatever."

6 aisles tops.

I did some today. What I realized is that it's mostly fixing what flow fucks up. The nightly zone should be able to cover the guest mess-ups. It was when an entire location was filled with the wrong product that I knew it was flow. Can't really blame them though because of the lack of decimal places on the pick label. If spot wants to pay me to fix other people's mistakes, that's fine. Just seems like a waste.

Ugh! I agree. You take a pull out to work. The place where the first items should go is filled with the wrong items. You decide to fix that but the spot where those items should have gone is filled with other items in the wrong place. Something that should have taken 2 min ends up taking 20.

So...tonight I'm supposed to do 4x4 for the entire grocery section. In 3 hours while helping guests, doing endless backups & probably covering GS lunch & brakes. I'm so tired & fed up that I'm just like, "whatever."

The entire grocery section in one night by yourself? Wow. At my store, we only do 3 or 4 market aisles at a time, and we do those in a group.

The nightly zone should be able to cover the guest mess-ups.

That's assuming there is a nightly zone.

We are expected to do all the areas for that day. Not 3 aisles or just one area but all the areas for that day. It makes no sense. Yesterday I was the only hl and I was expected to do HBa and cosmetics. Oh and do reshop and help guests and cover electronics breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back