MEGATHREAD $9 minimum wage starts soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was talking to a TM who works in Elex dept. She was telling me that one TM got his rate bumped up to the $9.00. Since the change in pay, this newer TM is making the same hourly wage as this 5 year TM. Said 5 year TM sure is an UNHAPPY camper. Said TM says that she'll stop her "going above and beyond" work and start working only her real Target job.

I'm in an area that is aggressively increasing minimum wage, so all of our TMs are being bumped up to the same amount regardless of tenure. Next year, the minimum is increasing again, so we'll do it all over again. It sure makes performance interesting as the team members are well aware that their merit raises will be null once the minimum wage kicks up again. I understand that Spot wants to keep payroll costs as low as possible, but I also know that it cannot be good for morale for their to be no incentive for higher performance. I expect turnover will increase substantially.

[QUOTdoepellinore, post: 190700, member: 180"]I'm hearing that people at Walmart will get the $10.00 an hour, but that no one will be able to work more than 20 hours a week. So, if this is true then the $10.00 starting wage won't help out very much at all.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound right. As long as no one works over 40 hours/wk, it shouldn't matter. No difference if you have 2 workers working 15 hours a week or one working 30 hours. Only outside factor is how many hours worked triggers the insurance

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound right. As long as no one works over 40 hours/wk, it shouldn't matter. No difference if you have 2 workers working 15 hours a week or one working 30 hours. Only outside factor is how many hours worked triggers the insurance
More people working less hours has an additional benefit to Spot. Since you have more people, there's a higher likelihood someone will pick up a shift in case of a call out or vacation, especially since each person is getting shorted on hours. It also means that calling someone in to cover an additional shift doesn't cause them to hit 30 hours, so you can add someone repeatedly without incurring the cost of providing benefits.

I'm hearing that people at Walmart will get the $10.00 an hour, but that no one will be able to work more than 20 hours a week. So, if this is true then the $10.00 starting wage won't help out very much at all.
Probably not but Walmart also said they were moving toward consistent scheduling, meaning that their associates might be able to pick up a second job if they knew what hrs to work around - a BIG contrast to Spot.

$10.50 is the new starting wage at my Target. We bumped to $9 several months ago so this spring's bump did nothing for us. Pretty surprising, huh?

I'm curious what it's going to be like for all the folks working in the L.A. stores now that they've raised minimum wage to $15.00 an hour.
Of course, keeping in mind that you need to make $27 an hour to rent a two bedroom apartment in LA so if you have a family that's not great but it's better than before.

$10.50 is the new starting wage at my Target. We bumped to $9 several months ago so this spring's bump did nothing for us. Pretty surprising, huh?
Was the bump due to a change in local or state law? My store has been hiring since last summer and can't seem to get and keep people.

So did all of the TMs get an appropriate bump in their wages as well? Just trying to understand how Spot allocates money to some stores and not others. We are ALWAYS hiring.

Supposedly in LA they want to jump the min wage to 15.00. Hmm maybe I should move out there lol. However the cost of living would be brutal:(

What happens is that your store is allocated a weekly, monetary, budget. Minimum wage goes up, but budget remains the same. Hours then go down since dollars/hr increases dramatically.

It's a terrible terrible system. It probably won't get a good update until the next cycle, when they see how badly numbers tank due to increased workload.

Only the new hires and the TMs under $10.50 get a bump to $10.50. Everyone else stays the same. And yes, it will affect hours available. You'll be making more, but you'll probably be working less. No, STL didn't mention that fact in his gleeful announcement. But we all know it's coming. Target didn't suddenly get a huge influx of $$$ to cover this increase.

You'll be making more, but you'll probably be working less.
That sounds good to me. I mean, who wants to do the opposite???

"I wanna make less, but work more!"

I don't think so!

How about make more per hour and work 40 hours? Wouldn't that be cool?

It could happen that you'll actually be taking home less because the hours get cut so drastically.

hours got cut drastically at my 70K+ store. 3 plano TMs got zero hours and they have been here 2 1/2 years, what a shame.
I got cut 8 hrs, i guess not too bad. My other PAs got cut 16 hrs.

Now we have trouble keeping things fresh and full with 40 hrs how the hell can we do it with cut hours.

No way am i gonna be able to do salesplanners on 32 hours and do all the PA routines !!
I sure hope seritech come the week we have hours cut !!

Only the new hires and the TMs under $10.50 get a bump to $10.50. Everyone else stays the same. And yes, it will affect hours available. You'll be making more, but you'll probably be working less. No, STL didn't mention that fact in his gleeful announcement. But we all know it's coming. Target didn't suddenly get a huge influx of $$$ to cover this increase.
If a TM transfers, do they keep the same payrate?

hours got cut drastically at my 70K+ store. 3 plano TMs got zero hours and they have been here 2 1/2 years, what a shame.
I got cut 8 hrs, i guess not too bad. My other PAs got cut 16 hrs.

Now we have trouble keeping things fresh and full with 40 hrs how the hell can we do it with cut hours.

No way am i gonna be able to do salesplanners on 32 hours and do all the PA routines !!
I sure hope seritech come the week we have hours cut !!

Is that what you really hope for? You act like that there's going to be some sudden realization by HQ/people calling the shots that they should start giving the stores more hours because processes start breaking down?

Haha, no. That's not what happens. The reality is that it's just going to cause additional stress for you and your leadership because this company doesn't accept excuses/reasons. You get treated like and talked to like you're a piece of shit and that the world is ending if you start missing metrics... so while I agree with where your spirit/heart is on this matter... it's not going to do anything except add additional stress to you in some way unless your leadership completely shields you from the stupidity being handed downward on their heads.

And the $15/hr minimum wage thing is never going to work for the economy in general, never mind Target. Talk about skyrocketing inflation. Additionally, the people that don't get a proportional increase that are just beyond the $15 are going to get pissed and leave their jobs that they have a lot of experience in which is going to further worsen things.

I honestly hope McDonalds lays off AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE out in Los Angeles. Replace them all with machines. ALL of them. Have like 1 active employee at any given location at any given time. Those jobs are even less skilled than the jobs we have at Target, lol.

People shouldn't be entitled to anything. Life isn't fair. You can blame existence or God if you wish, but life isn't fair nor is it ever going to be. If you take away capitalism completely, you significantly reduce the speed at which new ideas and innovation are arriving.

If you can't afford to live in Los Angeles because you are working a shitty job with a shitty level of pay, then move somewhere else. You don't have to live in LA.

That's not to say that I don't care about these people, though I know it sounds that way, because I actually do. However, it's not the government's job to take care of you. Have some personal responsibility. And if you want to talk about the large gap and class divide between blacks and whites, that is a generational affair that can only be corrected through increased education. Raising minimum wage isn't going to do jack shit except make things worse in the long run. You have to correct these problems in the beginning... education, education, education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back