Archived AAR hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, our ETL has decided that our electronics accessory rate in the entire store for next week will be 80% (we've been in the 50s). He cannot figure out why the GSAs and cashiers are laughing at him and not with him. Hmm...none of us know what is in electronics, what covers AARs for what products, and by the time they get up to the check lanes, it is entirely too late without gumming up the registers as a cashier with no knowledge tries to push random products. So it's looking like we will be required to keep track of all electronics that come through our lane and figure out if they got an AAR without even know what those might be? My ETL told me that the stuff that is on clearance makes that easier as well....as if the cashiers would have any chance of knowing that, either.

We"re being set up for failure on the front end next week, and I'm so glad my hours are low for that week.

So, our ETL has decided that our electronics accessory rate in the entire store for next week will be 80% (we've been in the 50s). He cannot figure out why the GSAs and cashiers are laughing at him and not with him. Hmm...none of us know what is in electronics, what covers AARs for what products, and by the time they get up to the check lanes, it is entirely too late without gumming up the registers as a cashier with no knowledge tries to push random products. So it's looking like we will be required to keep track of all electronics that come through our lane and figure out if they got an AAR without even know what those might be? My ETL told me that the stuff that is on clearance makes that easier as well....as if the cashiers would have any chance of knowing that, either.

We"re being set up for failure on the front end next week, and I'm so glad my hours are low for that week.

I'd challenge the electronics team to be getting REDCards also, if Front End would be playing such a vital role in AAR. Attachments aren't too hard to figure out. If they're buying an xbox and they got a game that would be 1 attachment. Same thing for a Camera + memory card, etc. However there really isn't an opportunity for cashiers to "push" attachments on people since they're already at the checkout, just recognize what might be an attachment and ring it up. Probably the biggest thing Front End can really do though is offer service plans.

Electronics at my store is pretty good at getting REDCards, so we help them out with ESPs ;)

I offer the ESPs....but apparently that isn't good enough...they want cables, games, batteries, etc, etc...stuff that, besides the batteries hanging in the check lane POGs, it is entirely too late to offer. The ETL pointed out to me that if I as a cashier don't get at least 80%, then someone else will have to make that up. But I can't believe lowering our already sinking checkout is fast score due to backup wars is going to be the answer.

All you can do is do your best ;) As cashiers we're limited to what we can offer at the checkout. The ETL-HL will hopefully realize this. Anyways they have no direct authority over the front end unless the ETL-GE is onboard with this.

Maybe the ETL can hold some mini huddles with cashiers (pulling a couple off the lanes at a time so as to not completely clog the front lanes with lines) to educate them on service plans and accessories. It's not too difficult! If your ETL is any decent they should be able to pull that off and make some difference. It needs to be pushed consistently, it cannot be a one time thing. If I've gotten one thing out of working at Target, it's an understanding that one time fixes are just that. If it does not become a part of the store culture, it will not happen. Make it second nature and you're good.

All you can do is do your best ;) As cashiers we're limited to what we can offer at the checkout. The ETL-HL will hopefully realize this. Anyways they have no direct authority over the front end unless the ETL-GE is onboard with this.

We are ULV, so this is ETL-GE's thing.

Mini huddles for cashiers would be fabulous, but again, being ULV, they turn into one on one, "do this" conversations. I've never been so thankful that we aren't high volume on electronics, so this won't be overly often. Of course with the new batch of cashiers we just got, it will make things extra challenging, as some of them aren't even comfortable offering redcards yet.

As you said earlier, the only things that could be added at frontend check-out are batteries, ESPs & maybe gamecards (if they're stocked nearby). Otherwise, you'll end up ticking off the next guest in line while waiting for someone to run to electronics to get "that other item" just to help the AAR score.

Esp's or replacement plans can be on anything that has a battery or a plug. Like toasters, toys, grills, vacs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back