Archived About those seasonal TMs

Status
Not open for further replies.
>.>

I actually make $15.25 an hour. Bernie getting elected wouldn't have made much difference outside of my city, though. Congress would never let him or Hillary get anything done. He'd be kind of a paper tiger, just like Trump (which in Trump's case is good, because Trump's ideas are absolutely terrible).

As for the U word, I'm not against unions in principle, but I've been in two different unionized retail stores, and the unions did not help. We dealt with the same litany of bullshit from management we get at Target, we didn't get paid more (but had to pay union dues), we didn't get more than one day of vacation pay per year or non-goverment mandated health coverage or sick time, and so on. At Safeway, it was even worse. New hires had to pay $300 in initiation fees and $40 per month just to make minimum wage part time, and then the union proceeded to do absolutely nothing about the massive daily wage theft going on (Store closed at midnight. All courtesy clerks MUST be clocked out at midnight. All cleaning and reshop MUST be done by courtesy clerks who have no real time tto do this during opening hours. We were expected to be there until 1:30 in the morning or so every shift. Fuck you, enjoy the visit from the California labor board.). From everything I've seen of unionized retail, the unions just take their money and then ignore you.

As someone who is active in my union, that can be fixed.
Get a bunch of your people together and get elected as a union official.
It is actually pretty easy because people don't pay much attention to the process.
Then start changing how active the union is at the job.
When the company realizes they aren't dealing with someone who will just roll over every time, things will change.

Edit: I worked in a grocery store with a union as well but I was a meat cutter and they are frelling prima donnas of grocery.
We had our own sections in the contracts.
There is a reason the only group to ever organize in Walmart was the meat cutters (and why Walmart got rid of them).

Last edited:
Not to start a political debate, but all choices this time around starting in the primaries downright sucked. In 18 months the process will be underway again, and neither party has come up with any fresh ideas as whom to run.
the democrats are functionally dead currently.

As someone who is active in my union, that can be fixed.
Get a bunch of your people together and get elected as a union official.
It is actually pretty easy because people don't pay much attention to the process.
Then start changing how active the union is at the job.
When the company realizes they aren't dealing with someone who will just roll over every time, things will change.

Edit: I worked in a grocery store with a union as well but I was a meat cutter and they are frelling prima donnas of grocery.
We had our own sections in the contracts.
There is a reason the only group to ever organize in Walmart was the meat cutters (and why Walmart got rid of them).
We all know the real reason Target solved the pharmacy to CVS. In vermont, a pharmacy successfully unionized.

the democrats are functionally dead currently.

There are Democrats challenging just about every seat in the country (as opposed to previous elections where many went unchallenged) for the midterms and the number of candidates who have raised substantial amounts of funding now is impressive.

One chart shows Democrats are now more eager than ever to run for office - https://www.vox.com/2017/12/11/16748716/chart-democrats-2018-midterms-elections

One thing most candidates have learned is that it isn't about having some kind of over arching theme.
For the average person, they want to know the person they are electing represents them.
This is why some of these awful people keep getting reelected, the people figure everyone else is bad but their guy is looking out for them.
What the Democrats have to do is fight that by going door to door and showing that they know more about the area then the guys in Washington, that they care more, and can do more.
This is how a trans woman won in a deeply conservative area by keeping it local and personal.
All politics are identity politics, people identify with their neighborhoods, the issues they have getting to work, the problems they have in their day to day lives.
When someone can show they understand those issues and gives concrete proof of how they want to help, they win elections.

Trying to move this thread back on track. I'm on charge of scheduling seasonal conversations.

Team leads such as @SrTLall and @Yetive
Do you guys just have conversations with team members as they come or do you inform all your terminations before you start having your conversations with the ones being retained?

Do most seasonals try to get hired on permanently, in your experiences? For those that don't try to stay on, are those convos much different? As I said above, my ETL told me to let her know when I was done, but I would imagine that convo would have bee different if she hadn't been open to having me stay on longer.

Trying to move this thread back on track. I'm on charge of scheduling seasonal conversations.

Do you guys just have conversations with team members as they come or do you inform all your terminations before you start having your conversations with the ones being retained?
I make it happen the day that the schedule posts, before it hits the wall. While it's not the best timing, those who aren't staying generally stop showing up, so I let them know as late as I can so it has as little impact as possible. I let those who are staying know first, those who aren't next.

If you haven't done it before, here's how:

It can be tough to get all of the conversations in before tms start asking! We don't use dummy shifts, so the conversations start a couple weeks before Jan Week 1. I have the keep and not keep convos at the same time. If someone doesn't get a face to face before the schedule is posted, he will get scheduled for a shift on that schedule. Each TL looks at the schedule and figures out when to speak with each tm. At my store, ETLs also help with the convos, because of the short window.

Do most seasonals try to get hired on permanently, in your experiences? For those that don't try to stay on, are those convos much different? As I said above, my ETL told me to let her know when I was done, but I would imagine that convo would have bee different if she hadn't been open to having me stay on longer.

I think of my stores 50 or so seasonals that we have left. Only 10 or so of them have made it clear they just wanted a seasonal job.

If they aren't staying you just let them know their last day and thank them for their hard work. There are some seasonals I will definitely call back in March and April when people quit.

If anyone can beat this Ill be impressed-

We hired a flow seasonal TM. They get assigned an area and is expected to work the boxes in that area. They work maybe 8 boxes (more if the ETL or TL babysits) in 2 hours. Consistent bathroom breaks in that time frame. Then in 2 hours takes their 15 minute break. Instead of coming back like a good TM they come back 10 minutes after break ended. Works about the same until lunch. Then because we dont schedule them longer than 5 hours. They take the last 15 minutes of their shift taking another break then clocks out to go home. We haven't termed them yet because we aren't getting a ton of applications for flow.
So basically if that was the case they'd be coached after a week or a few days depending on how many trucks we had that week. If it happened again on monday they would just term them and call it a lost cause. Haven't had that yet but we have two flow members I know for sure are told daily they need to hustle and they seem to have no enthusiasm or care to. They most likely just want their last paycheck and have given up on helping our team in a satisfactory way.

The seasonal TMs that I worked with, only two are definitely worth keeping. The other ones, OMG! They can't or won't read the pick labels, say that half of what is to be stocked is backstock. One guy I work with was backstocking clearance items! Im done babysitting lol As well seasonal TMs just wanted the $$$ and then they run.

The seasonal TMs that I worked with, only two are definitely worth keeping. The other ones, OMG! They can't or won't read the pick labels, say that half of what is to be stocked is backstock. One guy I work with was backstocking clearance items! Im done babysitting lol As well seasonal TMs just wanted the $$$ and then they run.

I feel you on the backstock one. I'm seasonal as well, but I finished up a different seasonal guy's area one day and as I was getting ready to take his backstock cart to the back, I noticed that one of the items on there would clearly go out. So I decided to try to push the whole cart and about 90% of it ended up going on the shelf. Some of it was other facings of the same item (one shelf up or down from the pick label location), but others it just seemed like he must not have even tried.

One one hand, I kinda wished that someone knew that I did that, but on the other I was just happy I didn't roll that cart in the backroom as-is and be seen dropping off all that pushable stock as backstock. Hah.

One one hand, I kinda wished that someone knew that I did that, but on the other I was just happy I didn't roll that cart in the backroom as-is and be seen dropping off all that pushable stock as backstock. Hah.

Thanks for doing that. Even if no one saw it it helps the store.

One way to get credit without being a brown noser is to let the team lead know.

"Hey can we remind the team at huddle to make sure they are making sure the product won't fit before they backstock something??

Shows leadership on your part.

Some seasonal TMs do go the extra mile. The few "bad apples" ruin the bunch. I started out as seasonal, was asked around this time of year to stay on. My TL and above noticed that I came in everyday, stayed late, did I my job, and so on. Here I am two years later. Just keep on going :)

Thanks for doing that. Even if no one saw it it helps the store.

One way to get credit without being a brown noser is to let the team lead know.

"Hey can we remind the team at huddle to make sure they are making sure the product won't fit before they backstock something??

Shows leadership on your part.

Our TL does that pretty much every day anyway haha. "Look up, look down", etc. "If it's in the back we can't sell it and if we can't sell it, we don't get hours". He also spot checks backstock carts, but he was actually out that day. Maybe that's why the other guy felt like he could get away with it :D

I'm a Sept 1st hired seasonal that not sure if i'm staying or not since I didn't get the 1 on 1 convo in the TSC but i was briefly asked by my ETL how I'm liking it so far like after BF I say yes. My hours on the first week of Jan is 20 hours total only 4 days Mon-Fri working New Years Day also the shifts i got are not my reg position but its in the same department. What you guys think I'm okay with what they decide I really like working at Target though gets me active and it was a fun experience.

This topic sure took a side road.

I’m ready for the seasonal cashiers to go away. There isn’t one that stands out in my mind that I’d like to see stay. But there are a couple of regular cashiers I’d like to see go also do maybe I’m just picky.

I had years of great seasonals except for that one guy last year who kept wanting me to put some hatchimals aside for him. I kept telling him nope. One day he was gone. Guess "Hello secret camera..." was a secret camera. Many thanks Batman. ;)

rofl, hope for his sake a new job hatched out of that egg!

The few "bad apples" ruin the bunch.

Well akshully, they can sometimes be a boon to the other people by making them look much better in comparison. When you're surrounded by a bunch of derpy derparoos who have to be watched like a hawk just to make sure they push correctly, you can win big just by being average...not bad but not amazing, and you'll look like a rockstar and be treated like one too. I know that when I was seasonal I got popular with the leads quick just by showing up to work and always being willing to stay over, hardly a huge accomplishment but hey

Just found out I’ve been invited to stay on past seasonal! From what I can tell, I don’t think many others were (for good reason!). Not all seasonals are useless though ;)

Congrats, Bethy!

When you're surrounded by a bunch of derpy derparoos who have to be watched like a hawk just to make sure they push correctly, you can win big just by being average...not bad but not amazing, and you'll look like a rockstar and be treated like one too. I know that when I was seasonal I got popular with the leads quick just by showing up to work and always being willing to stay over, hardly a huge accomplishment but hey

I'm assuming this is why my ETL was happy to hear I was interested in sticking around. Showed up on time for all of my scheduled shifts. Took a couple unscheduled shifts, stayed a couple times when asked. Have two brain cells to rub together.

Just think... in 3 years these seasonal team members will be making $15 an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back