Archived accidental overtime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our store was crazy last night with multiple call-offs, and our GSA-TL was looking for people to stay help out. I offered, and she asked me if I was at 40 hours for the week. I told her that I wasn't sure, but didn't think I was. She ran off to guest services for a little while and came back and then said it was fine if I stayed,so I assumed that she had most likely checked, especially since I had seen her talking with our LOD for the night.

I just checked my punches for the week and I'm at 42 hrs and some change for the week...I know overtime is a big no-no, but it was an honest mistake. What can I expect management to do/say when they find out?

It depends on your store. If your GSTL truly did approve it, nothing should happen (and you can tell whoever tries to say/do anything that GSTL ____ said it was OK) but some stores are stricter than others, and will coach/write up for any OT. I would wait to see what they do. There's a chance they don't say anything at all, and there's a chance that they do. Are you a minor? If so, going over 40 as a minor is an even bigger no-no because in most states a minor can't work more than 40 hours by law.

I always get told to stay past 8 hours by a TL, Sr TL, ETL nothing ever happened. At the same time I always clock out late (before 8) no one says anything.

@OP: You'll need to trim some hours before week's end.
They'll probably have you come in an hr later on a couple days or leave early here or there.
Lesson: keep up with your own time.
Blaming it on the GSTL will work only so many times.

I would ask your ETL if you need to cut two hours or if any overtime has been aproved. They have plenty of time to cut from your other shifts. This will show initiative on your part.

I would ask your ETL if you need to cut two hours or if any overtime has been aproved. They have plenty of time to cut from your other shifts. This will show initiative on your part.

This attitude will take you far! Always keep an eye on your hours worked.

In my store overtime is not that big of a deal for carts backroom or flow.but would check anyway

Sounds like this was on Saturday night.

Chances are, your store has approved at least some OT and they probably won't look into it too closely.

If they do ask, just apologize and tell them it was an honest mistake that happened when you volunteered to stay late at the end of the week. Try to avoid throwing your GSTL under the bus.

Yep, it was on Saturday. Thanks so much guys, no one has said anything yet so I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way!!

You'll be fine, you were probably approved for overtime by the powers that be.

Overtime is allowed at my store with leadership approval and I know more than a handful of people who have had approved overtime the past few weeks. Most of them are team leads, but one of our best CAF pushers got approved too.

Last edited:
As long they approved it, you'll be fine.

I got OT last week and this week.

It's fucking hell, especially in the Backroom

I've accidentally gotten overtime (like less than an hour) each week for the past few weeks and thankfully no one has said anything.

Are there states where overtime is paid for working over 8 hours in a shift?

I've accidentally gotten overtime (like less than an hour) each week for the past few weeks and thankfully no one has said anything.

There are, California is one.

Overtime at my store happens because the stl and dtl don't believe in hiring a ton of seasonal help and would rather pay a few hours of ot then take hours from the regulars. Take this week the etl hr came to me and asked if I'd work a double the day after Christmas. I told him I'd put me in ot by 6 hrs to which he replied "just don't hit compliance".

The rare times I get scheduled 40 hours, I get about 20-25 min of overtime regularly. Noone's said anything to me about it.

One time years ago, I had something like between 30 min and an hour of overtime and my ETL-LOG coached me on that.

Last two weeks I have gotten "Approved" overtime hours, incidently, my first two weeks in Logistics, it pays to show up, know how to push our Food Truck, and to volunteer to come in for surprise double trucks.

I went into overtime once.

ONCE.

I never heard from my STL about it, but a SrTL coached me for it and I was already on CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back