Overtime

Can someone please explain to my why my team lead in consumables thinks it is okay to stay over every single day and then her last shift of the cut all of that overtime? This is an every week occasion. She literally had to cut 2-3 hours each week and my co team member and I always get screwed.

You guys don't really need your team lead at all to do your work. Learn and adapt show willingness to improve all for guest.
I know we don’t need her to do our work. When you are scheduled for consumables and you are not back helping to push the truck or push one for one pulls then it is super annoying. She doesn’t listen to any of our ideas she immediately shoots them down and destroys them. If she does come back she usually does something not related to the task on hand i.e. the truck, the truck should be number one priority however she will decide to go and pull some expired product from the Backroom or go look at her email. She doesn’t have her priorities straight when it come to working in her department.

I know we don’t need her to do our work. When you are scheduled for consumables and you are not back helping to push the truck or push one for one pulls then it is super annoying. She doesn’t listen to any of our ideas she immediately shoots them down and destroys them. If she does come back she usually does something not related to the task on hand i.e. the truck, the truck should be number one priority however she will decide to go and pull some expired product from the Backroom or go look at her email. She doesn’t have her priorities straight when it come to working in her department.
You’ve got a real winner there...🙄

@NKG , is this you they talking about?

Some stores have a no cutting OT on Friday or Saturday. When it does happen TLs are held accountable and coached. Ive seen TLs have to take 90 minute lunches to avoid cutting out Friday at noon. Sounds like your TL is majorly lacking in time management skills. "learn to adapt and show willingness to improve"? WTH? This sentence does not apply to what the OP said at all. Their TL is not leading anything or anyone when they continuously cut out early to begin a weekend

It’s not her job to push truck. It’s her job to see that the truck is pushed.

It’s not her job to pull. It’s her job to see that pulls get done.

I don’t push truck most days. I support the entire business. That’s making sure my team has places to put things by setting salesplanners and clearing the back room. Training and teaching. Knowing what belongs where. Writing schedules. Making sure Starbucks gets their breaks.

Her job is not the same as your job.

When we are short staffed, or we have a huge truck I feel that she should be helping to get it done. At our store Consumables is expected to clear their trucks everyday. 99% of the time we do, but there are times when we could’ve used that extra hand to finish and she doesn’t step up and help. If it’s “her job“ to set sales plans, that’s a 😂. She has a whole weeks worth that she hasn’t started on. If you are a Team Lead I feel that you should support your team in every way, even if it means physically working. I have had a lead position in past jobs and I have always got out there and helped my team. Famous words “there is no I in team”

Well I think that a “ team” means everyone helps everyone. I have seen other TL work with there team members
Only 1 team member per uboat. So it’s an individual thing no team here. Yesterday I had to break down 2 dairy pallets onto 9 uboats push them all. Then push the 6 fast movers out of produce.
Then push 2 pallet of vendor milk all in 7 1/2 hours.

When we are short staffed, or we have a huge truck I feel that she should be helping to get it done. At our store Consumables is expected to clear their trucks everyday. 99% of the time we do, but there are times when we could’ve used that extra hand to finish and she doesn’t step up and help. If it’s “her job“ to set sales plans, that’s a 😂. She has a whole weeks worth that she hasn’t started on. If you are a Team Lead I feel that you should support your team in every way, even if it means physically working. I have had a lead position in past jobs and I have always got out there and helped my team. Famous words “there is no I in team”
I agree 100%. When I was a Lead I always did the work, sometimes I was the hardest worker on my team lol. You can lead and coach and still move your ass. I once had a store manager tell me that I should be able to wear white gloves to work because my hands should not be getting dirty - I almost laughed in his face. It's a nice theory but in practice, if I wanted things to really get done and to my standards I had to be out there in the trenches, coaching and training yes, but also leading by example.

Salaried managers I can see spending more time in the office, they have a lot on their plates and have to deal with "management" stuff, but IMO hourly managers should be out there with their teams working side by side.

It’s not her job to push truck. It’s her job to see that the truck is pushed.

It’s not her job to pull. It’s her job to see that pulls get done.

I don’t push truck most days. I support the entire business. That’s making sure my team has places to put things by setting salesplanners and clearing the back room. Training and teaching. Knowing what belongs where. Writing schedules. Making sure Starbucks gets their breaks.

Her job is not the same as your job.
Which department do you lead or did you lead? She’s doesn’t do her salesplans. Planogram or I set all of her sales plans because if we waited for her to do them the sales plan would be expired/discontinued. In fact I set one today because “I don’t have time to do it”. She doesn’t even know the department she puts snack that comes from C&S i.e. archer farms trail mix into candy because “it comes off the same pallet” my co worker and I have corrected her on several occasions. If you are going to be a TL you should know your department. She doesn’t do any kind of schedule and she rarely covers for Starbucks. She makes Starbucks TM,s figure their breaks out. As far as clearing the Backroom for backstock today her and I were pulling one for one and she said “ do not pull any full cases just pull lose items we don’t need the full cases” we have almost no room for full cases in the Backroom and when I explained to her that we needed to pull the full cases because we need that product on the floor. She still said well don’t pull any full cases . This is lack of leadership. She didn’t understand my reasoning behind pulling the full cases which I did pull them and then she told the Senior HR director that I was being rude and disrespectful. As far as training goes she trained a new team member and he works just as slow as her.

Only 1 team member per uboat. So it’s an individual thing no team here. Yesterday I had to break down 2 dairy pallets onto 9 uboats push them all. Then push the 6 fast movers out of produce.
Then push 2 pallet of vendor milk all in 7 1/2 hours.
It seems like Target is moving away from team work these days. At the store I work at I have to push the freezer by myself and my co worker has to push cooler by herself. We are not allowed to work on the same thing if she is pulling the pulls then I have to work the truck or work on pricing instead of pushing her pulls.

As far as clearing the Backroom for backstock today her and I were pulling one for one and she said “ do not pull any full cases just pull lose items we don’t need the full cases” we have almost no room for full cases in the Backroom and when I explained to her that we needed to pull the full cases because we need that product on the floor. She still said well don’t pull any full cases . This is lack of leadership. She didn’t understand my reasoning behind pulling the full cases which I did pull them and then she told the Senior HR director that I was being rude and disrespectful.

Tell your fulfillment TMs this. They WILL tell their TL and it WILL get back to the SD. That's something fulfillment will go to war over.

How about when your team lead does not communicate anything to us, and then gets mad and has an attitude with us when we don’t do it? Is this part of “her job” or “not her job”

Idk I’ve always been the TL that helps out with the daily tasks like push and setting and what not but with modernization I’ve been getting some feedback to stop muscling and spend my day with all my TMs, still doing tasks but like 30 minutes here and there then stepping away checking in with the rest of the team then working with a different TM. I feel like I’m never actually accomplishing anything now but I get the teach coach and train mindset

As far as clearing the Backroom for backstock today her and I were pulling one for one and she said “ do not pull any full cases just pull lose items we don’t need the full cases” we have almost no room for full cases in the Backroom and when I explained to her that we needed to pull the full cases because we need that product on the floor. She still said well don’t pull any full cases . This is lack of leadership. She didn’t understand my reasoning behind pulling the full cases which I did pull them and then she told the Senior HR director that I was being rude and disrespectful.

I'm confused. Many, many people on here are frustrated by people who open case packs instead of getting the loose stock, because it means that much more loose stuff in wacos. Why is it the opposite here?

I'm confused. Many, many people on here are frustrated by people who open case packs instead of getting the loose stock, because it means that much more loose stuff in wacos. Why is it the opposite here?
I mean it’s easier to manage casepacks and as long as it’s working properly your open stock locations should be older product. Also you can’t sweep back open stock so you want to pull Waco’s before casepacks for those reasons. But what I assume this person is referring to is their aisle has too many casepacks and their open stock is full so if you know you’re going to sell it I can see the argument to open your casepacks and back stocking the remainder in open stock to clear out some case pack locations but that seems silly. Same reason MOVE will path you to open stock first

I would be willing to bet this TL IS pushing truck, stocking shelves etc in the first part of the week knowing damn well she'll cut out early on Friday. If she is using the late hours for planning, do it on Friday to be there to SUPPORT your department.
The logic here is nuts. Its not her job? Her job is to make sure her department is fully stocked, fresh and her team is working to their full potential.
by some peoples 'logic" here leadership doesn't need to be present during the busiest hours of the week? Um no. That is when leadership is needed most.

Rereading.....

If she does come back she usually does something not related to the task on hand i.e. the truck, the truck should be number one priority however she will decide to go and pull some expired product from the Backroom or go look at her email. She doesn’t have her priorities straight when it come to working in her department.

So let me make sure I understand. The Team Leader is deciding priorities and the Team Member is trying to overrule her and give her orders.

Back