Archived AE 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
No... My original post said clearly.. that their sales should not have an impact on how other areas are operated. Then stated process areas such as flow, plano, etc.

What aspect of Starbucks is impacted by pricing, presentation, etc? None. Hence, why their sales should not be a determining aspect when decidin g when those work centers start their shifts.

Is that more clear?
I'm still unsure about what you're saying. It sounds like you mean that Starbucks hours should get cut when the rest of the store has low sales, regardless of how Starbucks is doing.

I don't know if I would stay working at a store that did that if I were benched...wtf?
I've heard stores just passing over people on the bench and either hiring from another target store or hiring out... I would be beyond pissed. There have been people at my store promoted to tl before me even though I've been on the bench longer, but they at least came to me and asked if I wanted it.

I've heard stores just passing over people on the bench and either hiring from another target store or hiring out... I would be beyond pissed. There have been people at my store promoted to tl before me even though I've been on the bench longer, but they at least came to me and asked if I wanted it.
This past year, we actually had this kind of issue. A Target not too far from ours shut down and we ended up taking on a good handful of their TMs, a couple of which got placed in positions that benched people at my store were waiting for. There's no winning in that situation, since the TMs who got the positions were probably in similarly paid positions at their store. There was some anger and disappointment over the situation, but not too much.

This past year, we actually had this kind of issue. A Target not too far from ours shut down and we ended up taking on a good handful of their TMs, a couple of which got placed in positions that benched people at my store were waiting for. There's no winning in that situation, since the TMs who got the positions were probably in similarly paid positions at their store. There was some anger and disappointment over the situation, but not too much.
If you were a tl before I get you filling a new spot before an untried benched person. I'd hope for the same courtesy in that position. But to bypass a benched tm for someone from kmart? Do any kmarts even have manequins?

Yeah there's no way that's a company-wide thing. They could just change the pull triggers if they want those departments to be full to the max.
Did the memo say fill to capacity or just pull them because pulling a manual caf is one thing but fill to cap means they think inventory isn't full enough there.

If you were a tl before I get you filling a new spot before an untried benched person. I'd hope for the same courtesy in that position. But to bypass a benched tm for someone from kmart? Do any kmarts even have manequins?
No, they actually hired homeless people and had them stand in one spot all day for minimum wage.;)

Ive seen this before. Hiring external with experience in the area of need. Although in the case of the KMart one, I'd be leary of their skill as KMart is a sinking ship right now.

Ive seen this before. Hiring external with experience in the area of need. Although in the case of the KMart one, I'd be leary of their skill as KMart is a sinking ship right now.
True, but just because they're a sinking ship doesn't mean they didn't have decent people. They way our hours look we are a sinking ship haha and I know we have good people.

True, but just because they're a sinking ship doesn't mean they didn't have decent people. They way our hours look we are a sinking ship haha and I know we have good people.
Staffing hours and sales are two different things. With as few shoppers as they have their zone ahould be perfect but it looks like a bomb went off in between holiday section resets. But five employees will be chilling at guest service or hiding in the laway office....

I don't think you can say Starbucks is independent from the stores operations when those TMs hours come out of the stores payroll budget. When hours get thin, Starbucks gets cut too.

Actually, part of the contract we have with Starbucks requires a certain amount of hours to be given to them (I'm guessing to keep up their brand). Some STL's cut into their hours but cut too much and it will be noticed.

Actually, part of the contract we have with Starbucks requires a certain amount of hours to be given to them (I'm guessing to keep up their brand). Some STL's cut into their hours but cut too much and it will be noticed.

Oh yes they do get a minimum of hours but when the store is busy they get more hours and when the store gets cut they do too.

We are short payroll this week and our FSTL sent her Starbucks mid home to help the store make payroll.

Last edited:
I have had 6 sbux DMS. Every one of them has confirmed that there is no minimum number of hours in the contract. Unique hours are given to the stores for Sbux, and are supposed to be used there only. If an STL chooses to divert hours elsewhere, Sbux' only recourse is to put a store on a Notice of Non Compliance if the lack of hours is impacting Starbucks brand in some way.

"Those hours can now shift to other areas of the store..." where they won't be used for instocks tasks even though they're supposed to be. They'll be used for backup and zoning. I guarantee that, with a bunch of teams, all that will happen is that a TL will do a panicked instocks scan only when it's mentioned by a higher-up and most of this group will just tell the backroom that they need to do the pulling for them, leaving the team to come in after them with enormous piles of random product to push...
Edit: The grammar is not strong with me today.

Last edited:
So...reducing instocks hours and giving them elsewhere to be used for sales floor to do instocks tasks? Was this recent or part of the prior instocks changes?

We already do some of that and it makes sense. Sales floor closers regularly zone different aisles each night to planogram and then research the outs.

Well look at the new process guide. We are cutting in stocks hours to make in stocks better. Wait What?

View attachment 3051

This is an excellent example of standard, corporate bullshit lingo..created in a boardroom full of people who graduated college and never actually worked a day in a retail store their entire life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back