Archived AE 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with grocery is that there is too much "ASANTS" going on. I really believe that the top levels of management realize how important grocery is, but that message sometimes gets lost on the way to the store level.
Target's problem is that it has been treating consumables like it treats regular merchandise. Push it ASAP and don't fall behind on your goal times. What's that you say!?!? Doing FIFO takes longer than pushing toys? That's not what this report on WPT says!

Last edited:
The problem with grocery is that there is too much "ASANTS" going on. I really believe that the top levels of management realize how important grocery is, but that message sometimes gets lost on the way to the store level.

Yep, there was little follow through and direction. Plus the changes took place in October and no leadership moves or (dare I say) hour allocation direction was given to support the processes.

The problem again all comes down to not just how much payroll stores are getting, but how its allocated in the first place. If they wanted this thing to work, they need to simplify this mytime crap down. Target cuts the payroll for the entire store down, and then mytime allocates based on formulas for each area. This is nice, but when the entire payroll is down, it can only cut from flexible workcenters (its a proportional model). So sure, market's formula seems accurate on paper but if you cut 500 hours out of ONE WEEK for a store, its proportionally getting cut down.

If Target really cared about fixing this, they would fix the total store allocation first. A store with a 40% sales mix in food takes MORE payroll than one with 20%, as a $100 cart of groceries takes more payroll (stocking, cashiering, zoning) than $100 of softlines. If they can address this first, then we can talk about where the hours go (and get away from stores doing their own thing).

Nice thought. But I am sure my STL would take away the payroll [from one area to give to another] anyway. He does it all the time.

Nice thought. But I am sure my STL would take away the payroll [from one area to give to another] anyway. He does it all the time.

There is a metric coming out that measures if you are following MyTime or not... How seriously anyone takes it is up in the air though as most district and group level leaders know MyTime allocations are a complete joke as they are now :)

There is a metric coming out that measures if you are following MyTime or not... How seriously anyone takes it is up in the air though as most district and group level leaders know MyTime allocations are a complete joke as they are now :)
Oh my god... that would be the most fantastic thing ever for me, but it would ruin my store. My 3 areas (Starbucks, Food Ave, and market) give up about 70 hours per week (combined) on average. If I could have even just an extra 10 hours per week, I'd be fine with the lack of a raise for taking on the job that 3 separate 40hr/week TLs used to do.

Some weeks we have had negative Sales Floor hours. I wonder how the metric will calculate that.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, in most stores, yes. Plus they have nobody under them. No reviews to write. No closing shifts. A glorified brand team member is what they are.

Yeah even though mine is a VMTL she doesn't write the reviews for her brand tms. Technically they work in softlines and hardliners so those TLS write their reviews.

Ours does close once a week but yeah they write their own schedule which is favorable.

Some weeks we have had negative Sales Floor hours. I wonder how the metric will calculate that.

You can work around that... Schedule them in workcenter "A", but have them work in "B". The cart attendant allocation is too low, so the only way to make that work is have a cashier go get the carts, or schedule the cart attendant as a cashier.

Question I've been to a super target who was redoing the back room and moved their toys and bedding around is that a new plot or something? Like the whole area is blocked off and like everything is in offsite containers

Question I've been to a super target who was redoing the back room and moved their toys and bedding around is that a new plot or something? Like the whole area is blocked off and like everything is in offsite containers
No that just sounds like they're doing renovations or repairs. Maybe they're adding movable backroom aisles? Or fixing some electrical/drainage/plumbing problem?

I still refuse to believe that VMTLs actually are useful in pushing sales.

Mine just does softlines adjacencies and is basically a softlines TL.

Waste of money
So true 1,000% true. Vmltl has to go bye bye the way of ETL hr

Metros are my friend you have to know how to push them from the side to make sure they go straight and not hit any guests
That's not what a movable backroom aisle is.

Metros are my friend you have to know how to push them from the side to make sure they go straight and not hit any guests
The moveable aisles are literally walls on a rail that can move. They're a pain in the ass because not only is moving them a chore, but it limits how many people can work in the stockroom aisles at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back