Archived AE2013 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you not have even one gstl?

That's a good question, I don't know how or why. The LOD rules the front lanes for anything the GSA can't handle. Most of our former GSTLs were given the option of stepping down or becoming a sales floor TL. Some transferred to other Targets, some quit, most went to the floor and a couple just stepped down. Sucks chunks, don't it.

What volume store are you? It sounds like an Ultra Low Volume pilot project that I read about.

how do you not have even one gstl?

That's a good question, I don't know how or why. The LOD rules the front lanes for anything the GSA can't handle. Most of our former GSTLs were given the option of stepping down or becoming a sales floor TL. Some transferred to other Targets, some quit, most went to the floor and a couple just stepped down. Sucks chunks, don't it.

What volume store are you? It sounds like an Ultra Low Volume pilot project that I read about.

Oh...God....no....

heard something about that last year, but figured it was just smoke...
i can understand cutting gstls in our store down to 1. but ya gotta have 1 to rule the roost. otherwise, all the gsas go on power trips. especially if your etlge is a combo position with sf (ours is) or hr (ours use to be). they don't have time to focus on the lanes and it takes a hit. especially the scheduling. but i guess if you have an awesome ge, it's not a problem.
good luck ULV stores! i know before we moved up a couple of levels, i dreaded AE every single year, wondering if i was gonna lose my job. it's still bad for everyone, but ULV has my sympathy!!

I'm now in a position to answer questions about actual changes.
No more speculation necessary ;)

APTLs are not doing LOD shifts.
Org charts 10-12 are reallocating a TL to become an overnight HRTL

Ask me anything and I'll try to answer.

Last edited:
Wow and I thought they abused GSAs at my store... I think that takes the cake. So I'm guessing they just push off all the GSTL workload onto the GSAs for 50 cents lol. So wrong.

I'd tell the LOD that planning/setting sales planners isn't in my core roles, and a "leader" should be doing it!

Rankone, any changes for Guest Service? PM me if you can't say here.

Wow and I thought they abused GSAs at my store... I think that takes the cake. So I'm guessing they just push off all the GSTL workload onto the GSAs for 50 cents lol. So wrong.

I'd tell the LOD that planning/setting sales planners isn't in my core roles, and a "leader" should be doing it!

I planned and mapped out salesplans as a Salesfloor TM? That isn't a leader's task really... Many people complain that their store treats them like they don't know what they are doing, but then when they ask them to do stuff outside of zone and reshop its suddenly a "team lead's job"...

Actually planning sales plans would be a leaders task. They own it. Of course they might delegate some of the workload (setting the salesplans, help with planning) to a Sales Floor TM, but its really not part of their job.

The problem with 0 GSTLs is that all the ownership is being put onto the GSAs. They are responsibile for things that a GSTL should be. Its far different than asking a GSA to "help out" and put endcaps up. A GSA isn't meant to be a leader, its meant to be a support role -- getting cashiers change/etc.

If they asked me to own something thats not mine, I'd tell them to go piss off. Oh wait I already did when I ditched my "extras".

RankOne: Any changes to AP in general? Other than IS elimination and Sr. APS deployment process?

RankOne: Any changes to AP in general? Other than IS elimination and Sr. APS deployment process?

New ETL-AP/HR LOD expectations:
Org 1: Min. 1/wk
Org 2-4: Max of 2
Org 5+: Max of 1

"Investigations is realigning resources to address gaps in the current investigations structure."

That's everything for AP including your info.

Last edited:

No changes for guest service. No mention of GSA/GSTL allocation. Majority of changes seem to do with logistics and food. Even those changes are really targeted. Overall doesn't seem like a really drastic change in store structures for AE13

as per my first post:

Etl-hr/hr-tl will be moving into an overnight or partial overnight role at the highest volume stores.

this is why you don't believe rumors....

There is absolutely zero reason for a hr-tl to be in the store during overnight hours. Zero. With the possible exception of making the hr-tl a key carrier and having them run flow, there is zero reason for it. If there was a need for another tl to run flow, hr-tl would be last on the list of tls in the store to do it.

Etl-hr *could* be overnight to run flow..... There would be no point in this, however. Again, etl-hr would be last on the list of all tls in the store to go overnight. It would be much more logical to have etl-hl/sl or even etl-ge go overnight before the etl-hr.

lol

"but ya gotta have 1 to rule the roost"

Not necessarily.... There is the old saying "Even among slaves, someone has to be in charge".

I planned and mapped out salesplans as a Salesfloor TM? That isn't a leader's task really... Many people complain that their store treats them like they don't know what they are doing, but then when they ask them to do stuff outside of zone and reshop its suddenly a "team lead's job"...

Sadly, this is what TLs have been reduced to in many stores. Deciding where a salesplanner goes is about all the "authority" they are allowed.

I am reminded of a TM I worked with many years ago.... He used to work at a movie theater where they actually had a "manager in charge of popcorn". It came with no pay increase or any other authority. He told me how crazy it was that people he worked with would say things like "One day I'm going to work my way up to popcorn manager".... and they were dead serious.

Just goes to show, you can slap the word "leader" or "manager" on pretty much any task and you will suddenly have people falling over themselves trying to do the job.... Good motivator really.

But I feel that's what Target has done with positions like GSA and even TL in recent years. They have removed all of the real "authority" and put a "leader" label on tasks that anyone could easily do just to keep people motivated/wanting the job....

Last edited:

No changes for guest service. No mention of GSA/GSTL allocation. Majority of changes seem to do with logistics and food. Even those changes are really targeted. Overall doesn't seem like a really drastic change in store structures for AE13

*repeat* Store specific structure changes and TL headcounts are listed in a separate document on OnePlan.Archive.

I think we're a low to medium volume Target. We are the only Target within 60 miles, we have a Starbucks, photo lab and pharmacy. Last year we went Pfresh. It has always been my understanding that ultra low volume stores don't have a Starbucks or pharmacy, but I could be wrong.

I think we're a low to medium volume Target. We are the only Target within 60 miles, we have a Starbucks, photo lab and pharmacy. Last year we went Pfresh. It has always been my understanding that ultra low volume stores don't have a Starbucks or pharmacy, but I could be wrong.

You are incorrect. I work at a ~17 mil store which is at the bottom of the ULV spectrum and we have both a Starbucks and Pharmacy. Do you know about what you guys do in sales on a avg weekday? It won't tell you exactly what you are, but it might give someone a good idea here if they do about the same in sales and they know their volume. That is, if you're curious. Again, it won't be exact, but I'm guessing you don't know what you guys did in sales last year for an exact volume.

See the document on SharePoint regarding Unique Store Processes for GSA/specialty headcount changes.

Last edited:

Super Target Dry Grocery, Dairy/Frozen, Meat, Produce, Deli, Starbucks, Food Avenue.

You are incorrect. I work at a ~17 mil store which is at the bottom of the ULV spectrum and we have both a Starbucks and Pharmacy. Do you know about what you guys do in sales on a avg weekday? It won't tell you exactly what you are, but it might give someone a good idea here if they do about the same in sales and they know their volume. That is, if you're curious. Again, it won't be exact, but I'm guessing you don't know what you guys did in sales last year for an exact volume.

Former great lands like me had 2 entrances, does your store have that?

If you want to know your store's volume, go on Workbench. Go to Store Reports (not sure of the exact link nowadays, they might've changed it when they messed with DTK). Under Store, go to Store Fact Sheet. The Store Fact Sheet has all kinds of info about your store, including ETL names, Org Chart #, nearest competitors, etc.

What are the changes for Logistics?

Org Chart 6/7, BRTL reports to ETL-HL
Org Chart 7 +1 O/N ETL-LOG
Org Chart 8 +1 O/N LOGTL
Org Chart 9 -1 O/N ETL-LOG
Org Chart 9,11,12 -1 O/N LOGTL

O/N Sr. REPLN-TL reports to O/N ETL-LOG in all SuperTargets

Status