Archived Any full time college students working at Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there.

I just applied to my target recently and i am wondering if they are flexible in working with team members around school semesters.

I am starting in the spring a full time school semester and looking to work on friday sat and sunday only for 8 hrs max a day Mornings afternoons and evenings. Holidays and school breaks i can work during the week. My degree that i am taking has lab, homework and projects to finish and i need all week to finish them with good grades. i am planning on taking 4 classes which will take up most of my time.

Now i know of ASANTS but does your TM's high volume stores allow these types of availability?

Do team members in the store qualify for tuition reimbursement ?

In a college town. All kinds of full time students around here.

Yep. 5 classes and nearly 40 hours of Target per week. Welcome.

Yes, because of this job I went from a straight A student to a low B student but honestly a B is still good so I don't mind too much lol

At my previous job i made the mistake of not calling out on the night of a final, failed the final and barely passed the class. never again lol. I get super stressed with managing homework projects and work shifts.

I did it during highschool. I use to be a C-grade student... graduated with 3 A's and 1 B. Best I've ever ever done. Granted I was on work release program, so only had 4 classes and it was easier to do work often, but that's just my personal experience.

I'm still debating for when I do online college if I really want to keep trying to get full time hours or go to part time. I wouldn't mind a 4 day work period doing 10 hour shifts, or 3 day work period 12 hour shifts, but that wouldn't be full time, it'd be only 36 hours. I plan on getting a different job in order to do just this. My dad works at a Meat Company that has 2nd shift warehouse positions starting at $17. Trying to possibly move out into an apartment or something with my GF or a house(first time buyers... I must be funny thinking it's possible at age 18 lmao, but I'd rather be in a house) but I need to get myself a degree in something sooner or later lmao

Yeah my plan is to be at target while i'm in college. Now i'ms till living with family a age 29, (awkward hehe), but to me this is the best approach so i can graduate with a degree and get started on my career so i can get a place of my own. without having to rely on student loans.

Go for it. Furthering your education is a great way to impress your leaders and open doors outside of Target.

Yeah my plan is to be at target while i'm in college. Now i'ms till living with family a age 29, (awkward hehe), but to me this is the best approach so i can graduate with a degree and get started on my career so i can get a place of my own. without having to rely on student loans.

Yes, if you can make your family situation work and avoid student loans, that is one of the best gifts you can give yourself! Student loans are all but impossible to discharge in bankruptcy...meaning you will have them til you pay them off, or die.

I'm still debating for when I do online college if I really want to keep trying to get full time hours or go to part time. I wouldn't mind a 4 day work period doing 10 hour shifts, or 3 day work period 12 hour shifts, but that wouldn't be full time, it'd be only 36 hours.
Maybe someone from a DC can confirm, but I think 3x12 hour shifts would still be considered full time. Those are usually warehouse jobs anyway, which pay more than retail and would more than make up for working less hours.

@dabeastfromtheeast @notfit05

yep! i'm a full time student taking 15 credits this semester. I work on average 37 hours each week

My store is pretty flexible with me. My ETL-GE and HR always make sure to ask how school is and if I need more or less hours. So, at least at my store, they're pretty nice about it.

My advice to you would be to make sure that you put the hours you want to work in the availability you filled out in your application. My store likes to make hiring decisions based mostly on that for most starter level jobs.

Good luck!

Maybe someone from a DC can confirm, but I think 3x12 hour shifts would still be considered full time. Those are usually warehouse jobs anyway, which pay more than retail and would more than make up for working less hours.

@dabeastfromtheeast @notfit05
Yep weekend shifts sat sun mon are 12 hr shifts tues-fri is 10hr and the 36 is considered full time and paid a shift differential to make up for the other 4 hrs lost

yep! i'm a full time student taking 15 credits this semester. I work on average 37 hours each week

My store is pretty flexible with me. My ETL-GE and HR always make sure to ask how school is and if I need more or less hours. So, at least at my store, they're pretty nice about it.

My advice to you would be to make sure that you put the hours you want to work in the availability you filled out in your application. My store likes to make hiring decisions based mostly on that for most starter level jobs.

Good luck!

I already put open availability because i don't start my semester til spring. so id figured id work during the holidays during the week as well, then change my schedule in January.

I already put open availability because i don't start my semester til spring. so id figured id work during the holidays during the week as well, then change my schedule in January.
Just make sure you're past your 90 days when you start school, you usually can't change your availability during that period.

Being a full time college student and also working full time is having to decide between eating and doing homework because you don't have time to do both. 5 hours of sleep is now a lot. Spending 15 minute breaks napping in the break room and doing homework on my 45. I thought I knew what being tired felt like, my only emotion is exhaustion lol

Yeah i don't know how some people be able to handle that. Just thinking about it just stresses me out.

Being a full time college student and also working full time is having to decide between eating and doing homework because you don't have time to do both. 5 hours of sleep is now a lot. Spending 15 minute breaks napping in the break room and doing homework on my 45. I thought I knew what being tired felt like, my only emotion is exhaustion lol

Yeah i don't know how some people be able to handle that. Just thinking about it just stresses me out.

Being in the military first helped me a lot. I just stayed the same sleep schedule and I'm very accustomed to eating high calorie snacks instead of meals to keep me going.
But, I will say that it takes a bit of getting used to and is doable. And when you finish the semester, and look back, it always give you a real good feeling because you did something very few folks can manage.

Long story short, it's difficult but worth it. And those 15 minute naps are amazing!

Sleep who needs it, I work the D.C. Night shift (a2) and three days of overtime a week right now (third week of it )and work a part time job during the week. I find that 4 hour naps work just fine

Yep weekend shifts sat sun mon are 12 hr shifts tues-fri is 10hr and the 36 is considered full time and paid a shift differential to make up for the other 4 hrs lost

Thanks, man. Actually makes me consider wanting to work at a D.C, however, there's other warehouses in the area that do the same but offer $17+ an hour. I might like Target enough to stay in the stores, but outside of the stores, I'm not sure. I'd have to gather info on wages and etc since I am going to be moving out into an apartment sometime next year with my girlfriend.

EDIT: I actually read up on it, some D.Cs can start at $18/hr. Nearest D.C is about half an hour drive away, I'm not much for commuting, and I'm not sure I'd live in that area... but you know what? Maybe it'd be worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks, man. Actually makes me consider wanting to work at a D.C, however, there's other warehouses in the area that do the same but offer $17+ an hour. I might like Target enough to stay in the stores, but outside of the stores, I'm not sure. I'd have to gather info on wages and etc since I am going to be moving out into an apartment sometime next year with my girlfriend.

EDIT: I actually read up on it, some D.Cs can start at $18/hr. Nearest D.C is about half an hour drive away, I'm not much for commuting, and I'm not sure I'd live in that area... but you know what? Maybe it'd be worth it.
Yeah starting pay varies by location we start around 15 an hr and max out in like two years at 22 almost. With small raises yearly, with transferring from the store you may start out above starting pay not sure, I know if u go to D.C. Then back to store you keep your hourly D.C. Pay rate our benifits are better at the D.C. Also with tuition reimbursement and such, things that are available in the store at a etl level believe are available to everyone at the D.C. Just try to go to anywhere but outbound/shipping if you do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back