COVID-19 Any other stores being cleaned out of cleaning products?

Kobe Bryant is dead, people are waiting outside the store like its black friday just for a chance to buy toilet paper, stock market is tanking so fast it has to be halted twice in one week, there is no more plano team, br team, pa team etc anymore, Donald Trump is president, entire countries are basically shut down, no one is allowed in from Europe or China, all sporting events postponed, Disneyland is shutdown for at least a month, the Pope is cancelling public meetings, and Sarah Palin is singing Baby Got Back, I have come to the conclusion somewhere along the line I woke up in Bizarro world....
God Bless America.

Tonight we sold out of packs of water, bread, Kleenex, hand soap, paper towels, flushable wipes, and baby wipes along with the little bit of toilet paper that was on today’s truck. Our sales in food alone were almost what our overall goal was tonight Still no Lysol, bleach, rubbing alcohol, or hand sanitizer. Pharmacy is nearly clear of Advil, Tylenol, and cough and cold meds.

I’m in a relatively minimally impacted state with no deaths. No cases in our county.

The upside to this is, we’ve literally been loading up a 3 tier with the paper and chem reshop and leaving it on the sales floor and what little is even left in it by the time it gets there is taken by guests within minutes. Triple digit comps and beating sales by six figures, numbers that are more typical for a Q4 weekend with Q1 weekday payroll, and today we picked 350% of our ship forecast and 250% of our OPU forecast.

There’s so much space to flex stuff and the floor being empty means no truck or pulls backstock, buying us the time to come clean on truck and pulls. SFQs are getting fixed because it’s so fast and easy to scan an empty aisle and zero it all out, BRLA is up because there’s nothing in the back. Crazy how all it took was a little coronavirus to bring back some of that old-school Target efficiency. People are getting hours and overtime and calling in sick isn’t being held against you, so the team is happy. The only downside is comps are going to be so shitty in a year lol. That and we’re all going to die from this virus 😂

I've been reading these posts and thinking that it mostly hadn't hit my store yet, outside of hand sanitizer and those canisters of wipes. Well. How things change in a day or so after my state has had its first confirmed cases. Good grief, it's Y2K all over again. I appreciate that some people are taking this seriously, but honestly, 4 mega-packs of TP? Our paper DBO completely emptied the back room of toilet paper, saying he'd never done that before and he'd be surprised if the store had even one package left by the end of the day.
And a "guest" swore at me yesterday when I told her we didn't get any hand sanitizer on that day's truck. I wanted to ask what planet she'd been on for the last few weeks.

I had a package of toilet paper go RTS this morning. I put it out one floor before open. Twas the only TP in the whole store. Walked by there a minute after we opened. A guest was already putting it in her cart.

wow .. Rite Aid Really ..

89958966_10157770628455255_1241121814831169536_o.jpg

We got a fair amount of hand sanitizer in on our last truck when we'd previously been out. That's in my department and I think the 6 max limit is too high. One person does not need six giant bottles of Purell - yes, the guests can pick and choose among the other stuff for that 6, but enough of them still grab 6 of all the same thing.

So I have only been putting a couple on the shelf at a time, keeping the rest hidden on my U-boat. When the ones I put out are taken, I go back and put out a couple more. This way, more people get to pick up some, nobody gets to hoard, and the guests that come along are genuinely thrilled to find the "last bottle" on the shelf. It all gets put out before my shift ends, it all sells before my shift ends.
Yes, the quantity limit 6 is too high. We actually reduced the limit to 1 yesterday, and 2 for bottled water.

Last edited:
Got in probably 6-8 cases of Purell, in both the 10 ounce bottles and the tiny ones. They were all gone before my shift was done, and we had put a 1-per-guest limit on them. Flexed out all the liquid hand soap and Wet Wipes that came in today - why bother back stocking? Definitely a larger-than-usual case pack load for me today and had only a tiny amount of back stock - some deodorant and body wash, a couple tubes of toothpaste. Sales are up by maybe 40% in my area and it'd be even more if I had product to put on the shelves. We put pallets of toilet paper and paper towel on the floor, sort of like Black Friday except with paper products. They were emptied, even with a fairly low limit. People have gone genuinely bonkers.

And I'm glad that guy in the article can't sell his hand sanitizer. Nothing against someone turning a profit, but the way he tried to do it is so wrong. What a jerk.

So I'm not a cashier, so I don't know what happens. But when guests try to purchase more than one bottle (the limit being 1), will the cashiers tell them they aren't allowed to and just not ring it up? I imagine it becomes a total shitshow with guests refusing to give them back or causing a great ordeal.

So I'm not a cashier, so I don't know what happens. But when guests try to purchase more than one bottle (the limit being 1), will the cashiers tell them they aren't allowed to and just not ring it up? I imagine it becomes a total shitshow with guests refusing to give them back or causing a great ordeal.

I believe the registers have been adjusted (or hardlocked) to only allow one of the items.

Back