Archived Anyone else have ridiculous ETL drama going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalesFloorSylph

Got any extra peghooks?
So every time I see a team member from another store and I tell them that I work at X store, they're like "lololol that place has some crazy drama". Other stores in my district don't have anywhere near as much drama as ours does and we are kind of made out to be a joke because of that.

I don't blame everyone though. Our ETLs will happily talk shit and gossip about each other on the clock, in the middle of the store, when there are fucking guests in the store that probably hear every word. I've heard the GE and the old logistics dude screaming and swearing at each other really loudly in the backroom. Two other pepole had a huge shouting match right in the middle of seasonal instead of helping us set like they were supposed to.

Oh. And none of these people are pretty 25 year old college grads. In fact even the youngest one is pushing 40. I wouldn't be as surprised about their behavior if they were younger but these people are old enough to have children in their 20s.

Anyone else have a store like this? I've actually found myself worrying about nothing getting done because some of them just won't stop arguing with each other

Last edited:
During my time, two of the ETL's were in competition with each other to become STL. It was freaky annoying as each tried to out do the other during huddles, meetings, and DTL visits. Lots of fighting and disagreements between the two.

I recently looked them up on LinkedIn for the hell of it.... One left the company and now works for Sears and the other is still a GE ETL at another store.

It was freaky annoying as each tried to out do the other during huddles, meetings, and DTL visits.
Our former logistics ETL and the ETL in charge of plano and signing absolutely despised each other and every time during the morning huddles they would stand as far away from each other as possible. Every time one would talk, the other would look visibly annoyed and there would be this huge aura of passive aggressiveness. I don't even think they were even trying to compete with one another. They juse really really really did not like each othe for some reason

Our one Logistics ETL and the team lead from flow actively hate each other's guts, which makes for some interesting drama during truck days. That's about the only ETL drama we have going on at my store.

I feel like Target is setup so that the ETL's need to work together. Ours seem like a close knit group and help each other out, even though we have one who is cool and loved by everyone but kind of sucks with details.

I feel like Target is setup so that the ETL's need to work together. Ours seem like a close knit group and help each other out, even though we have one who is cool and loved by everyone but kind of sucks with details.
I think the problem some people have is that they don't work together well because they want things to be their own way or they don't feel like they have to help out. When a group of extremely opinionated people have to work as a team things can get kind of ugly.

It also ends up with whole departments hating each other (ex: flow and backroom can't stand each other, neither can front end and the sales floor). All because two team leads can't cooperate

Last edited:
I agree. Certain people also want to work independently as well. Only the way Spot is set up, you have to work together even if you absolutely can't stand your coworkers. I get along with everyone top to bottom and have been told my energy is contagious. When you get that energy from those in higher rank, TL's, ETL's, STL's etc., it really makes work A lot easier. Negative Nancy just tends to be "tight" because that's in their nature I think..

I'm always out of the loop of my store's drama. And any time I do slightly get involved, I'm never really excited or surprised by any of it. It's always a rise to almost climax...but...instead the so called "drama" turns out to be totally normal human bullshit. Oh, person A is upset with person B? Well yeah, person B probably did something inconsiderate, either on purpose or by accident, and Person A is being a little bitch about it, even though their frustration is understandable. 99% of all work place drama, and 100% of the reason no one tells me the juicy stories. I ruin them all.

Yeah, dark comedy and sarcasm plays a roll in these people. Theyve got power over others, you know. It gets to a person after a while. Every now and then one will come by who acts their roll as a leader but most of these leaders get hired on based off their looks and college resume. Most people are not true leaders within themselves.

we dont have a single ETL from the time that i started with target n3 years ago. they get hired right out of college, hang out with us for 2 weeks then quit. lol 1 woman lasted A WEEK. we had a ETL-HR that was with us a month and quit because she was overwhelmed by the work load. in that she meant it wasnt the desk job she thought it was. anyone who lasts longer is either over stressed and trying VERY hard or an out and out snake and eventually gets canned.

The pecking order at our store is fairly drama-free. Our STL is the alpha female (she is very present and is always involved in everything), and she gets backed up by our female ETL, who is very much the same personality type. Of our two male ETL's, one is a complete wuss, and the other is a great guy who everyone loves--but he definitely knows his shit. So if I need anything, I go to female ETL first, and if she's not there I go to the second male ETL. If neither are there, I'll go to the STL. I know better than to ask the wimpy ETL for anything, because he never follows through with anything. All of them have been with the company for years. It's a system, and it works for us. :)

How many ETLs does you alls store have?

We have 7 not including STL. Seems excessive to me

4 ETLs ... for now .... we usually have only 3 as 1 quits and were without that role for awhile.

I think my store has the best drama ever..... So we got a new STL two years ago. She was nice and always helped push pulls and guest first. But for some reason she felt threatened by the ETLs who been with the company longer than her. So last summer we got two new ETLs and the STL is grooming them the way she wants her ETLs to be. Whenever the older ETLs told the new ETLs what they did wrong, the old ETL gets in trouble and the STL told the new ETLs not to listen to the other ETLs. So here is how the chaos starts....
  • The STL first targets the ETL Food. Our ETL food had been with the company for 20 years. She started as a cashier and moved her way up. She knew her stuff and always challenged the STL when she was wrong. The ETL Food was always green on steritech visits and the STL knew she couldn't get rid of the ETL Food that way. The only thing the STL had was complaints from team members about the ETL Food attitude. So the STL told the DTL she wants the ETL Food transferred and she got what she wanted.
  • After that, the old ETLs figured out what was happening. They saw that the STL is trying to get rid of them all and replace them with new and inexperienced ETLs. So they decided to get the STL back by all leaving at the same time. The first one who left was the ETL AP. He had been with Target for 10 years. He quit like 4 days before black Friday. So we had no ETL AP.
  • Next, the ETL HR went on LOA during 4th quarter. She had been with the company for 15 years. She came back like 2 weeks before Christmas and put her two weeks in. So we had no ETL HR during 4th quarter.
  • Finally, the ETL Log went on LOA in December. She had been with the company for 20 years. The backroom and flow was a disaster. It was so bad you couldnt really move around in the backroom. And this also happened while SFS switched over to ESFS. So the ETL Log didn't come back until the 2nd week of January to put her two weeks in but the STL wasn't having that. The STL told the ETL Log to just turn your keys in .. we dont need your two weeks.
So during 4th quarter the store was a hot mess. All we had were two new ETLs and the STL. No ETL HR, Log, or AP.... It got so bad that we had to get ETLs from other stores to come help us. So now we have all new ETLs and the store is going downhill. The ETLs dont know what they are doing and they talk to us so badly and rude. The STL doesnt care at all either. But yah that is the drama at my store. Our STL threw away 40 plus years of experience ETLs for new ETLs just cause she felt threatened...smh

I think my store has the best drama ever..... So we got a new STL two years ago. She was nice and always helped push pulls and guest first. But for some reason she felt threatened by the ETLs who been with the company longer than her. So last summer we got two new ETLs and the STL is grooming them the way she wants her ETLs to be. Whenever the older ETLs told the new ETLs what they did wrong, the old ETL gets in trouble and the STL told the new ETLs not to listen to the other ETLs. So here is how the chaos starts....
  • The STL first targets the ETL Food. Our ETL food had been with the company for 20 years. She started as a cashier and moved her way up. She knew her stuff and always challenged the STL when she was wrong. The ETL Food was always green on steritech visits and the STL knew she couldn't get rid of the ETL Food that way. The only thing the STL had was complaints from team members about the ETL Food attitude. So the STL told the DTL she wants the ETL Food transferred and she got what she wanted.
  • After that, the old ETLs figured out what was happening. They saw that the STL is trying to get rid of them all and replace them with new and inexperienced ETLs. So they decided to get the STL back by all leaving at the same time. The first one who left was the ETL AP. He had been with Target for 10 years. He quit like 4 days before black Friday. So we had no ETL AP.
  • Next, the ETL HR went on LOA during 4th quarter. She had been with the company for 15 years. She came back like 2 weeks before Christmas and put her two weeks in. So we had no ETL HR during 4th quarter.
  • Finally, the ETL Log went on LOA in December. She had been with the company for 20 years. The backroom and flow was a disaster. It was so bad you couldnt really move around in the backroom. And this also happened while SFS switched over to ESFS. So the ETL Log didn't come back until the 2nd week of January to put her two weeks in but the STL wasn't having that. The STL told the ETL Log to just turn your keys in .. we dont need your two weeks.
So during 4th quarter the store was a hot mess. All we had were two new ETLs and the STL. No ETL HR, Log, or AP.... It got so bad that we had to get ETLs from other stores to come help us. So now we have all new ETLs and the store is going downhill. The ETLs dont know what they are doing and they talk to us so badly and rude. The STL doesnt care at all either. But yah that is the drama at my store. Our STL threw away 40 plus years of experience ETLs for new ETLs just cause she felt threatened...smh

Now THAT's drama. Those are pretty big roles to not have. Though I'm sitting here wondering "What kind of STL lets her ETLs have vacations during Q4?" Also, I'm surprised those ETLs just dropped their Target careers like that.

Now THAT's drama. Those are pretty big roles to not have. Though I'm sitting here wondering "What kind of STL lets her ETLs have vacations during Q4?" Also, I'm surprised those ETLs just dropped their Target careers like that.
Honestly idk why the STL let them do that but i believe they did a medical LOA. And the ETLs didnt have a choice really. They knew target wanted younger ETLs so instead of waiting for the ax they went LOA to find another job. They are all much happier now tho especially the ETL HR and ETL AP.

Holy big red Target balls. 28 TLs? Are there even that many departments to be led?
We have a lot of TL positions that were eliminated in lesser volume stores. Like we still have a separate instocks TL, a CTL, and multiple GSTLs, Softlines, and Hardlines TLs. We also have three floors so the floors are usually split between the hardlines TLs and first is where softlines is located so they run that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back