Archived Apple Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we're getting it for the Target app next month but any ideas as to if we will be getting it in store? It would make checking out a whole lot faster and then guests won't forget their red cards at home because it will be on their phones ;)

doubtful cause target is behind and they want redcards to be the payment of choice.

They'd have to add NFC modules to our new readers.

I'm guessing we will at some point, but what a pain telling guests "sorry, you can use it online... But not in the stores!"

doubtful cause target is behind and they want redcards to be the payment of choice.
You should be able to add a red card to be a form of payment..but it might be complicated since it now only supports a few banks and the debit card is used across a wide range of banks. Just wish Target would catch up with todays technology.

I'm guessing we will at some point, but what a pain telling guests "sorry, you can use it online... But not in the stores!"

NFC payments are mostly a waste of time. I've had several NFC payment-capable devices and it is quicker to take the card out of my wallet and swipe it than to actually activate payment. McDonald's and Jack in the Box are the only places that I've really used it, and that was just because Google was giving away $10 when you activated Google Wallet.

You should be able to add a red card to be a form of payment..but it might be complicated since it now only supports a few banks and the debit card is used across a wide range of banks. Just wish Target would catch up with todays technology.
Our "debit card" has nothing to do with the end users bank. All we do it take the account number and routing info and issue an ACH Payment (electronic check). We have no access to the users bank. NONE. It kills me when I hear our TLs say that "your bank denied the debit and so sorry", then the guest logs into their bank with a gazillion dollars in it. It DOES. NOT. MATTER. Target is NOT checking your balance.... they are checking your history with the card, and if you have bounced a check.

The processing of using a Target Debit card with Apple Pay would be no different than using a Target Credit Card for it (with the exception of the cash back).

SO it really does not matter if I bank with XYZ Local Bank, and they don't support Apple Pay, because as long as "Target Debit Card Handler" supported them, then it would work.

NFC payments are mostly a waste of time. I've had several NFC payment-capable devices and it is quicker to take the card out of my wallet and swipe it than to actually activate payment. McDonald's and Jack in the Box are the only places that I've really used it, and that was just because Google was giving away $10 when you activated Google Wallet.
It doesn't matter if it is actually faster or not, it is the perception of security.... whether the Apple Pay is securer or not will be seen, but the amount of banks on board with it has to mean they feel it is a valid reduction in fraud (they even agreed to give Apple a cut of the fees).

It doesn't matter if it is actually faster or not, it is the perception of security.... whether the Apple Pay is securer or not will be seen, but the amount of banks on board with it has to mean they feel it is a valid reduction in fraud (they even agreed to give Apple a cut of the fees).

Spot also JUST tossed a bunch of money over to Verifone for the new card readers and will have to do so again when EMV (Chip & Pin) has to be enabled (send a tech out to remove the block that covers the card slot). I just don't see Spot investing more money to outfit the registers with NFC readers. If you look around for them you'll see them at places with only a handful of registers to deal with. Walmart's new Ingenico readers don't support NFC either, but they are EMV ready. Spot also has committed to EMV when they said they would include chips on new cards.

Wife just had to stick her card in the slot at wal-mart. Of course it didn't work, but wal-mart weren't the ones that got breached and they still beat us.

I don't think NFC payments are about security, but I think speed is only part of it. Based on the videos I've seen of apple pay, their implementation seems faster and easier than Google's (I'm not fangirling. I enjoy Google and apple, bit Google a smidge more). Still not faster than a cc on a low transaction. You don't have to open any apps or anything. Just hold touchid down while near the reader thingy. But I think NFC payments' other appeal is the idea of needing less stuff in one's wallet, and eventually eliminating the wallet altogether.

After that icloud breach, though, how many people will take the risk?

Not this guy! Well, that plus the fact that the only apple product I have is a fullsize iPad 3, and the hilarity that would ensue if someone tried to pay with that would be pretty amazing.

I don't think NFC payments are about security, but I think speed is only part of it. Based on the videos I've seen of apple pay, their implementation seems faster and easier than Google's (I'm not fangirling. I enjoy Google and apple, bit Google a smidge more). Still not faster than a cc on a low transaction. You don't have to open any apps or anything. Just hold touchid down while near the reader thingy. But I think NFC payments' other appeal is the idea of needing less stuff in one's wallet, and eventually eliminating the wallet altogether.

iCloud was not breached. so says Apple. Social Engineering and a bit of guess work. That and all the Credit Card/financial info doesn't leave the phone.

From the Apple website:

With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number alongside a transaction-specific dynamic security code is used to process your payment. So your actual credit or debit card numbers are never shared with merchants or transmitted with payment.

I raise you all an interesting question about Apple Pay and spot/starbucks. Starbucks is in the lineup of retailers launching Apple Pay, most spots (if not all) have a Starbucks in them. Starbucks counts these stores as part of their chain, so will Apple Pay be in the Target Starbucks? However, doesn't spot control the payment methods used at Food Ave, i.e. when we upgraded to the new EMV's Food Ave got the same ones. Also, the annoyance level of questions from guests going "Why can't I pay apple pay at a register but I can at starbucks" will be over 9000, no?

sAlso, the annoyance level of questions from guests going "Why can't I pay apple pay at a register but I can at starbucks" will be over 9000, no?
Because Starbux registers have always run a dual-POS system that recognizes SB cards/apps as well as Target cards. You can buy pre-loaded SB giftcards at any register in the store but, if you want to load a SB giftcard with a specific amount, you can ONLY do so at the SB register. We discovered that the hard way when our register was down for a couple days last yr.
And our annoyance level at SB has always been 9000+

iCloud was not breached. so says Apple. Social Engineering and a bit of guess work. That and all the Credit Card/financial info doesn't leave the phone.

I know, but look around the internet and you're gonna see "iCloud breach" more than you see "that one guy who boned some celebrities probably had a bad password." (That's been a hypothesis, anyway) And I think that's scared people. I mean, I still have people paying in cash and refusing to pay with cards at target. I don't think everyone's gonna take to a new payment method. I'm not personally scared, but I don't plan to buy an iPhone 6 anyway. And I haven't even bought an NFC capable phone in years because I figured it would die off.

Well just tried adding my REDcard Debit Card to Apple Pay for S's and G's and since it doesn't have an expiration date, it wouldn't work anyways.

Our readers have a NFC reader behind the screen. It's just a matter of activating it. Doubt that will happen since they are going with CurrentC. Have had a couple team members use that app so far.

I hope they add red card support soon, and the ability to automatically apply cartwheel when you hold the phone to the reader. Similar to how Walgreens automatically applies your rewards when you hold your phone to the reader.

I have redcard, cartwheel, and TM Discount all in there...is it not enabled for the general public yet? Cuz it works for me ;) ( I am a TM tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back