Archived Backroom - Pulling case stock before single items

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeCreeks

Fulfillment TL
I’d like to know which genius at corporate thought it was a good idea to pull full case stock from the backroom before it pulls single items? It’s such a messed up system.

For example... Down the GRC 1/SNK backstock isle we have 30 lose boxes of KIND PB bars (I counted today) but they come in on the truck almost daily so the case stock gets backstocked and the next day, when 4 fit, the whole case stock gets pulled and 8 more single boxes go into an already full backstock shelf. And then there were 38....

Meanwhile it also causes product to expire since it sits in the backroom while longer expiration dated product gets pushed.

It’s frustrating... Anyone have any insight?

We’re literally running out of room in consumables backstock.

I’d like to know which genius at corporate thought it was a good idea to pull full case stock from the backroom before it pulls single items? It’s such a messed up system.

For example... Down the GRC 1/SNK backstock isle we have 30 lose boxes of KIND PB bars (I counted today) but they come in on the truck almost daily so the case stock gets backstocked and the next day, when 4 fit, the whole case stock gets pulled and 8 more single boxes go into an already full backstock shelf. And then there were 38....

Meanwhile it also causes product to expire since it sits in the backroom while longer expiration dated product gets pushed.

That’s not corporate, that’s your logistic team doing it wrong. Meaning your backroom is not grouped right. If your backroom is grouped right , you will first pull Waco’s then lower case and the uppercase . So look at your grouping and fix that.

I'm 90% sure the logic in Move is broken, it does that for SFS batches, too (because it uses the same logic as BR batches for whatever reason). We'll have 4 of an item STO'd in a waco, it needs 1 for the order, but it'll send me to a casepack instead on a shelf that is correctly grouped as casepack (since it told me to pull the full casepack then said "1 needed"). Doesn't do it 100% of the time, but it does it often.

I'm 90% sure the logic in Move is broken, it does that for SFS batches, too (because it uses the same logic as BR batches for whatever reason). We'll have 4 of an item STO'd in a waco, it needs 1 for the order, but it'll send me to a casepack instead on a shelf that is correctly grouped as casepack (since it told me to pull the full casepack then said "1 needed"). Doesn't do it 100% of the time, but it does it often.
You need to my support that issue.

Also, if we continue push all we will keep opening cases with open stock in the backroom. Full case doesn't fit? More open stock backstock. New case on the next truck? Wash, rinse, repeat. Turn your aisles into all open stock locations. Take that, corporate!

That’s not corporate, that’s your logistic team doing it wrong. Meaning your backroom is not grouped right. If your backroom is grouped right , you will first pull Waco’s then lower case and the uppercase . So look at your grouping and fix that.

Every store in the region does it and it is corporate. We all switched to that system based on feedback from the folks in Minneapolis.

Also, if we continue push all we will keep opening cases with open stock in the backroom. Full case doesn't fit? More open stock backstock. New case on the next truck? Wash, rinse, repeat. Turn your aisles into all open stock locations. Take that, corporate!

That’s my store every day. If only a few items will go (shelf holds 10, 2 fit, box has 12) I leave it closed. Why open a full case for 2 items?

We did back to school reset two weeks ago and the backroom is filled with pallets of crap stacked on the steel.

You were supposed to change the backroom aisle layouts when move launched. I’m not 100 percent sure on the detail but I know out backroom TL was printing out Ailse profiles for every aisle right before move launched because he said the pathing was changing for pulls

Move pulls case stock first because it is thought to be more productive. Easier to pull 1 case then 6 individually in however many wacos. Total pain in the butt!

That’s weird because I used Move to pull a few days ago and it sent me to wacos first, case stock last just like RFApps on the gun

OMG that is soooo dumb.... I dont understand who the heck opens up the cases that have like 10 and then puts the 8 back without a box like omg some loose items are impossible to count if you leave them loose thats why i just pull the whole case and put the entire case out example would be the stuff in cosmetics for the travel section.... the soap travel size cases we literally had 50 loose ones sitting in the back room in one box because someone opened up the case so i withdrew all 50 and filled the area for it so I also had to bring a cart to empty out the bin!

Speaking of Move, is it supposed to pull an item inside an assortment box while doing autofills? A coworker mentioned it to me yesterday when he was doing the autos. He was sent to a location with assortment casepacks and when he scanned the assortment box, it asked him to pull an item inside the box. I know that’s how it works when doing Flex but I thought when doing autos, it asks you to pull the whole box

Yep. It's annoying. Before you could just skip locations to where it was an open location or even on the floor. But whenever they updated it, a month or two ago, now it's only one location.

I had to pull 3 plastic bins two days ago for an online order. Instead of taking 3 off the floor or seeing if there was any anywhere else, it only wanted me to go on the wave to the highest location and grab a full box. So 3 for the order then put 3 for push.

It's annoying and corporate needs to work on updates

Sure it's been said but your case pack locations are not grouped correctly if its pulling them first in your autos. It will pull low numbers first, upper case pack being single digits it will pull from those before anything else. You need to speak up and get that fixed asap or your open stock locs are gonna be over filled and kill brla.

That’s weird because I used Move to pull a few days ago and it sent me to wacos first, case stock last just like RFApps on the gun
It does pull wacos first but if you have one dawn dishwash liquid in 3 different locations (which is irritating) it will have you pull a full case. One pull vs 3 separate pulls.

Speaking of Move, is it supposed to pull an item inside an assortment box while doing autofills? A coworker mentioned it to me yesterday when he was doing the autos. He was sent to a location with assortment casepacks and when he scanned the assortment box, it asked him to pull an item inside the box. I know that’s how it works when doing Flex but I thought when doing autos, it asks you to pull the whole box

If that is the only location in the back it will. We get that for SFS pulls all the time.. Rather than pull one from the floor nope drop a shipper for one. We fake it out and take it from the floor when we can.

But if only needs one to be stocked from a casepack why would you do it? Take the casepack to backstock and have that one item drop in the audit and then you will pull only one. Make sure your capacity is right on the floor and when the batch drops and you have open stock in the stockroom it should pull from there first. At least it’s how I pull from the back. Open stock , lower case and upper last.

Move is messed up. It lumps lower shelves in with WACOs for pulls, so you're pulling a mix of open stock and casepacks -- annoying as all hell. We ended up grouping all our lower shelves as uppers to stop casepacks from being pulled in between WACOs. It also doesn't always ask you to pull the correct count -- something I've witnessed myself. Doing 12 steps, I went through the entire aisle, purged every casepack and re-stowed everything that couldn't go out. Then we dropped a manual, and it wanted me to pull 9 from casepack that has 12 in it, despite it showing 12 in that location.

It's very strange when it comes to WACOs as well. If you have 1 candy bar in 01A30 and 10 candy bars in 01C30, and it wants 5 candy bars, it will skip past 01A30 and go to 01C30 instead.

PDAs would go to 01A30, have you pull the 1, then go to 01C30 and pull 4 more. That way, doing pulls also means you're fixing the issue of like items being stowed in different locations. It's a win/win.

But Move doesn't do it.
The idea is that you'd save steps and movements by only traveling down the aisle once by pulling lower and open at the same time. Then you'd travel back out for upper. It's an idea that seems to be done in theory more than by people actually doing the work, pulling open and case pack at the same time isn't ideal when it comes to packaging it into vehicles to push.

Move pulls case stock first because it is thought to be more productive. Easier to pull 1 case then 6 individually in however many wacos. Total pain in the butt!

If that's true, whatever corporate dickhead that came up with it should be clubbed like a baby seal with a PDA. It may be easier to pull 1 case than 6 eaches but it's also far easier to not have to backstock the rest of the fucking case.

This is terrible, but it would not surprise me. In our store, we would pull the waco's then we would pull the case packs. The system would have us going from back-to-front, which is terribly inefficient. The new Zebra system is great, except when you get stuck with Office and it has 179 tasks, and no one else can get in. If the system locks up, you're out of the batch for 15-20 minutes. Painful indeed.

It's your puller pulling wrong. He/she should be pulling by the piece meaning just what the floor needs. My dump lazy ass pog puller does the same thing he pulls case stock when he needs only one or two because it's easier. He will also pull full pallets of cat litter because he doesn't want to down stack the correct amount. He knows we have to back stock whats left.

It also likes to ask for partial amount of the case in upper locations. People who don't know better must leave so many ghosts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back