Archived Backroom remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were told last night that we will be getting the new collapsable aisles in the backroom this October. I know I saw a picture of them a while ago but now forget what they look like. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here already had them at their Target and how well they work out. My mind already came up with the possible issues but "they" told us everyone at other Targets love them. Anyone have a pictures of them or info on how the hell they managed to do their backroom work during the dismantle and rebuilding of the aisles?

collapsable asiles? that sounds pretty crazy, ive never heard of anything like that before

I have never heard of this, but I would guess it would be something like you see in records room that has aisles that move on track system. It would have to be motorized though with all the product. Just a guess though. I will definitely be interested in hearing more about it when your gets them in.

The Wally that I got tricked into transferring to many moons ago had them. We used them for layaway back when that was a thing. With the way Spot works I don't see why they would do it unless they are trying to increase salesfloor area.

The Wally that I got tricked into transferring to many moons ago had them. We used them for layaway back when that was a thing. With the way Spot works I don't see why they would do it unless they are trying to increase salesfloor area.

Hmmm...very interesting. You just reminded of a program that will rolling out in some Targets later this year. Target is looking to create a process for guests to make an online purchase and then pick up the item at the store. I wonder if AnnT's store is going to be a pilot store. Might end up being a holding area for that product.

Hmmm...very interesting. You just reminded of a program that will rolling out in some Targets later this year. Target is looking to create a process for guests to make an online purchase and then pick up the item at the store. I wonder if AnnT's store is going to be a pilot store. Might end up being a holding area for that product.

We have that where I work right now. Your credit card get's charged a $1, and they process the real payment when you actually pick things up.

Needless to say.. We've have a ton of stuff that just sits, waiting for someone to finally pick there "ordered" stuff up. :( Would be willing to bet, the same thing will happen to Target.

On another note though.. How cool would it be, to Order Groceries from SuperTarget, and pick them up?

my old store had moving shelves, it was nice in some aspects such as you could open them up really wide and drive the wave in there without crashing into the shelves on the way out, but they broke down A LOT which left some aisles near impossible to get into if they were pushed together

That sounds awesome. As far as getting your workload done...it's gonna be a pain. At some point you'll probably have tons of extra space and then after that space will dwindle. But either way, the actual aisles are going to be crammed. Finding vehicles will always be an issue. The best thing I can say is just always be willing to adapt to something new everyday. Aisle will probably be moved around a lot. It also helps if your backroom remodel team has a very clear plan if where they are moving things. We had aisles get moved two and three times and then labeled and LOCUed and then relabeled. We still have stuff that's wrong. Pull times will probably go up and sto percentage will go down. It really is just a mess for most of the remodel depending on how extensive the changes are in your backroom to make room for the coolers and freezer.

Several Walmart backrooms that I've been in have this. Their backroom aisles are actually driven by electric motors. Interesting that Target would adopt this. Are they preparing to build new stores with even smaller backrooms? New Walmart stockrooms are tiny but their backstock process is pretty different from Target's as well, so I'd imagine their space requirements are equally different. Regardless, as a merchandiser I never particularly enjoy my Walmart visits, especially during busier parts of the year. There is **** /everywhere/ with seemingly no organization or rhyme or reason. Definitely not my ideal work environment.

This raises the question, does that mean that Backroom TM's are going to end up with the "online order picking" workload?

Wow, those aisles are crazy. I could see some pros to it, but some cons too...guess I'd have to see them to decide how I'd like them. Although maybe if we had those, BR would actually backstock wine because right now the wine aisle is smushed up against a wall and it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get to it...it is the most inefficient setup ever and if I were BR or Logistics I would campaign heavily to get wine moved to a different aisle that has a bit more elbow room.

We just got word that our BR will have these moving shelves, too.
It's a shame they'll have to rip out some of those neat librarian ladders we got during our last remodel.
Wonder how long it will take before a BRTM gets squished between shelves....

How would that work with the autofills when you have more than one person pulling but you can only have 1 maybe 2 aisles open at a time.
Seems counter productive.

How would that work with the autofills when you have more than one person pulling but you can only have 1 maybe 2 aisles open at a time.
Seems counter productive.

And what about the ladders?

I could be completely wrong, but if the aisles can move you could have more aisles in less space. So a logical conclusion would be that the aisles could be shorter since you have more of them. So maybe that solves the ladder problem, but as far as productivity I'm at a loss. Hopefully the entire backroom isn't like this or you'd be stuck only being able to backstock and pull from aisle in each of these sections at any given time.

I could be completely wrong, but if the aisles can move you could have more aisles in less space. So a logical conclusion would be that the aisles could be shorter since you have more of them. So maybe that solves the ladder problem, but as far as productivity I'm at a loss. Hopefully the entire backroom isn't like this or you'd be stuck only being able to backstock and pull from aisle in each of these sections at any given time.

At Walmart, only a small portion of the backroom has the "rolling racks." The store where I work usually uses that section for "site to store" or sometimes transition and I think folded softlines and electronics. The rest of the backroom has "stationary racks."

I know our backroom is getting ready for some changes to the store....be interesting to see if they incorporate any of this into the changes (if you are going change it up, might as well go all out).....

Accordion Racks

I found out we are getting these rolling/accordion rack things in the backroom later this year. I look forward to the clusterf*** wherein I kill myself one week after construction is completed.

Last edited:
I merged your post into the thread you were referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back