Archived Backup cashier

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone were to ask me what I hate about my job, I would say its not the pay, not the hours, not the people I work with, it's that damn walkie talkie screaming at me every few minutes "BACKUP CASHIERS TO THE FRONT!!!" I work at the other end of the store from where the registers are and it drives me crazy having to drop what I'm doing and running back and forth to the registers 10- 15 times during my shift. Sometimes I just ring up one guest and they send me back to my department. Other times I'm stuck up there for 15-20 minutes. Makes it very difficult to get my regular job done and is killing my feet. I can't do a good job zoning if I don't have time to do it. I understand the purpose of backup cashier but the number of times a day they call it is getting ridiculous. I would love to know what percentage of sales is rung up by non-cashiers, our store would probably be number one in the company. Why can't they schedule a couple of extra cashiers, then during slow times if they don't need them they could put out returns or something. The backroom people are not required to respond to backup cashier, neither is the flow team or the pog team, its all left up to what few sales floor people we have. Is it just me or do you other TM's feel this way?

Last edited:
It's just you. The rest of us love doing that!

I used to hate doing backup when I was in Hardlines. Although I know it's a core role to provide backup to the front end within 60 seconds, I always felt like it was taking me away from my job. I definitely agree, there could be a couple of more cashiers on duty. There is always work to be done, whether up front or on the sales floor. Extra cashiers could help out with zone and reshop and several other tasks.

We've had some management changes at my store. The Backup situation isn't as bad as it used to be. We have a backup list that alternates between hardlines and softlines and we call people up by name. so the same people are not always coming up for backup. We also try to get a feel for what's going on at the lanes. If it's small orders or the lanes are flowing we won't call for backup. We try to speed weave as much as possible. Depending on the situation, we try to pull from guest service or bring the cart attendant inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back