Archived Being fired for making too much money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easiest way to make veterans quit is give them only 8 hours per week for a month or two. And the 2 weeks notice will start rolling like hot cakes. Sucks but it actually works.

The vets I know are just holding on until retirement. They say how bad it is, but they say they're too old to leave too. They fired a bunch of our old people last year. They cut the hours, then a week or two with no hours, then when they don't quit, they schedule them one day on the next schedule and they fire them during that shift. I think the sl elders are safe, though. They care a lot about the work and they're still spry and what not. They still get a bunch of hours too

Interesting we just had a store huddle talking about the seasonal hires and how leadership wants current employees who know what they are doing to step up during the season and how they dont want all the hours going to the seasonal hires. Im sorry but i feel this is scewed and based off speculation.

Yea, they say that every year. We know. Of course they want people who know what they're doing to do more of the work during the busy season, but someone who's been with target 6mos-2 years is typically well-equipped to do the job. I've been with tgt for 4 years and I wouldn't consider me a vet. I get paid the same thing someone who was here 1 year with a mediocre review does. They wouldn't be saving anything by firing me for the money lol. We have TMs who've had double digit anniversaries, though. We've lost longtimers for no reason before. Maybe your store hasn't done that. ASANTS.

It seems like at my store there's never enough people to get the work done and the tl/etl are asking tm's to stay past their schedule, I work in flow so it may be different, I just haven't seen what you guys are mentioning so far.

Target stores are graded upon retention you know...theyre awarded each year based on how many problem employees theybare able to work with to stay and to help perform.

Then they actually need to do things to retain employees. Staff beyond a skeleton crew, stop blaming said skeleton crew for not making metrics like callboxes when you constantly have everyone and I do mean everyone on a check lane every two minutes. Then also coaching said skeleton crews on why their primary jobs are not done.

Holding bad employees feet to the fire and actually getting rid of them, cause your good employees who clean up after these assholes end up leaving for getting a seriously nasty attitude when they keep getting fed shit everyday and eventually they up and leave.

My last two etls fired made more than the stl, one by quite a large margin...both ran green work centers and had been in role for a decent amount of years.
Ditto. But add in a TL. All nice people. Did what was asked of them. Went with the flow of the ever changing spot. And then was nailed for stuff like: not writing up TM for taking too many bathroom breaks. Or not setting enough sales planners that day.

It seems like at my store there's never enough people to get the work done and the tl/etl are asking tm's to stay past their schedule, I work in flow so it may be different, I just haven't seen what you guys are mentioning so far.

I think flow is different.

At my store flow team usually gets four hour shifts. They get scheduled for few hours because anything scheduled is promised. So they are scheduled until 330 just in case they finish on time. They rarely do so the often extend until 5 or so but if the shift ended at 5 and there was no more work. They would have to be paid until 5.

The hilarity in all the negative comments about 'old people' is they will become self fulfilling prophecies. Life is full of certainties and surprises.

Interesting we just had a store huddle talking about the seasonal hires and how leadership wants current employees who know what they are doing to step up during the season and how they dont want all the hours going to the seasonal hires. Im sorry but i feel this is scewed and based off speculation. Ive yet to see true evidence of such claims at my store. I dont however trust my leadership. Esp HR! For some reason pur ETL in HR is the most corrupt woman ive ever worked with...scares me. Lol

This type of stuff makes me worried for when January comes around. There's another Hardlines team member who started after me who gets 40 gours and Im worried she will still get 40 hours and Ill be back to 15 when January rolls around. Im trying my hardest to make myself valueable so I can keep my hours. However no one coaches me on what I am doing wrong and when I ask I get told im doing a great job. Then why dont I feel like it....o_O

Wow. I feel super fortunate to work at the store that I do, because I don't worry about this in the slightest. That might sound naive, and I do need to figure out an eventual exit plan from Spot, but I feel super secure w/ my position.

Newbies get a handful of hours, old school/dedicated TMs have 30-40hrs consistently. There are even a handful of TMs at my store who have been with Target for 20+ years.

Target is going to find itself in a bad position. They refuse to train properly, so the only TMs who end up being effective are those who take the initiative to learn processes on their own. The store starts relying on this small group of TMs, creating a divide- TMs who have a solid 35-38hrs every week, year-round, and TMs who have 10hrs.

Last year I got all the OT I wanted- there were some weeks where I was pushing 60hrs. I'm sure that will be different this year as we have a new STL and ETL-HR, but at the end of the day, they know I'm an effective TM and stuff is gonna get done when I'm there. We have so many TMs who will just kind of stand around and talk, or take 20min to pull a batch that could be done in less than half that time. How do you want to spend your money? Give OT to someone who's going to come in and work, or pay a couple of lazy TMs to stand around and drag their feet. Sure, you can pay them a lower rate, but the job will take twice as long, so you'd be losing money by refusing OT to your good TMs. :rolleyes:

In hindsight, I think I got all the OT I wanted last year because my STL knew he was on his way out, so it didn't matter- he just wanted the work done. I know OT shows up in reports or whatever, so leadership would have to justify it- "why did you give one BRTM 50hrs, and another only had 25?" ...so there may be pressure to "waste" money by giving bad TMs more hours, just so OT doesn't pop up on a report.

I feel like, in corporate's eyes, TMs are TMs- they assume we're all the same. They're underestimating some of us, but honestly- I think the worst part is how much they overestimate the bad TMs. They just assume "oh, they work here...surely they work- they'd be fired otherwise, right?!" ...yea...you would think. But when you're not attracting good new employees you're more willing to hang on to the bad ones.

I wish they'd just get rid of them- work with a smaller pool of TMs and use the extra money to allow OT. I don't want to be expected to work 50-70hrs a week, but it'd be nice to have the option.

Last year, the plan was to hire fewer seasonals, and give experienced tms OT for the reasons you mentioned, and because on boarding newbies is expensive. This year, looks like we are trying to use more seasonal hires. I believe that many stores will end up doling out plenty of OT. People just don't want seasonal work like they used to.

Last year, the plan was to hire fewer seasonals, and give experienced tms OT for the reasons you mentioned, and because on boarding newbies is expensive. This year, looks like we are trying to use more seasonal hires. I believe that many stores will end up doling out plenty of OT. People just don't want seasonal work like they used to.

Well at spot they don't. Last year they refused to hire anyone until mid November, only if they had open availability and gave them no training then if they were really lucky 4hrs a week. Spot shot themselves last year cause seasonal is for people with main jobs, let them have a few nights doing reshop or cashier. But a couple hours a week? Why bother? So this year we can't get people cause everyone who wants seasonal knows now don't bother with spot.

Last seasonal people that would come in wouldn't go past first interview cause they had other jobs. Last year sucked so bad this year is going to be worse.

The economy is better but I agree with the previous post people who want seasonal work are going to stores that are more competitive offering guarenteed hours and starting them sooner. We have some seasonals who started this past week but others have orientation at the end of November, literally four weeks of work for those folks.

The economy is better but I agree with the previous post people who want seasonal work are going to stores that are more competitive offering guarenteed hours and starting them sooner. We have some seasonals who started this past week but others have orientation at the end of November, literally four weeks of work for those folks.

If they show up cause if you are working seasonal for x-mas money that isn't going to cut it. That was also the problem we had people would find other jobs and never show up. "Well if you hadn't made me wait over a month for a start date."

Target stores are graded upon retention you know...theyre awarded each year based on how many problem employees theybare able to work with to stay and to help perform.

I didn't notice this post last time I responded but, the turnover metric is new. It was added with AE this year. It's mentioned in this thread. I don't think anyone has actually seen consequences from it yet, though. And if a store has low turnover (like op's) maybe they have the space to fire some people.

As a side note, a few of the longtime TMs I know don't make much more than me. All the yearly tiny raises kept them low enough to never reach $10 before base was moved. So idk that all of the longtime TMs would be "worth" firing to save money. I say that from the pov of management because I actually think we have great longtimers and none are worth firing

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice this post last time I responded but, the turnover metric is new. It was added with AE this year. It's mentioned in this thread. I don't think anyone has actually seen consequences from it yet.
It's a new metric to AE. It's not like they completely ignored it before.

It's a new metric to AE. It's not like they completely ignored it before.

I'm sure they didn't ignore it at all. I'd actually assume they made it a metric because they already knew it to be a problem... but I don't think etls had as much fear before it was an actual metric.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure they didn't ignore it at all. I'd actually assume they made it a metric because they already knew it to be a problem... but I don't think etls had as much fear before it was an actual metric.
My old STL had that fear because of how much payroll we waste on each new hire. We don't hardly train anyone, but it's still way more expensive to keep replacing people.

But you're right. This year, they're probably worried about their raises/bonuses/promotions. I think they mostly took AE out of the picture for raises, but they probably wouldn't allow many good raises to a store with a shit AE score.

My etls and stl like to talk around me because I think they think they're really good at whispering or something (or maybe they don't care if I hear), but my stl likes to bank a buttload of hours for emergencies. He got an award for "controlling expense" last year lol. That's how the dtl worded it in his tweet. I think that's how they got away with all the hiring, quitting and firing last year. So idk if he ever worried as much as others might've about the expense

My ETL's get into fistfights over scheduling me on their shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back