Archived Being fired in the first 90 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm currently on my first 90 days at target. I have had about 7 shifts so far an I have not been able to sell a single redcard. Everyone either has one already or shuts me down. I really like it as this store as it is a huge step up from my last job. Everyone seems to think that ill be okay but I have some doubts. My bosses seem chill, but I was wondering: Do you guys think that I will be terminated from target if I do poorly in the redcards even though I do well is all other areas?

Thanks!

As long as you're asking every guest and have a great attitude, they'll keep you. Oh, and don't miss any work.

They can't fire you over red cards, as said if you keep asking and "educating the guests" they can't do anything to you. What I've learned from being a cashier is to grow a thick skin and don't get hurt once someone says no. Once I started working I didn't want to ask anyone because I know they would say no and it would hurt but over time you get use to it.

My general transaction chat:

Hi, how are you?

Did you find everything alright?

Are you going to be using your RED Card today?

No? Well, just so you know, every time you use one you save 5% and get other perks like free shipping from Target.com.

Then you can slip a RED Card pamphlet into one of their bags.

Just always look busy.

Ask every guest about Red Cards
Zone the lanes and immediate areas
Drive guests to your lane
Ask for feedback from your GSTL
Engage guests about their shopping experience
Take on any extra duties

Little things go long ways

^I keep all my cashiers that follow these directions.

Worth mentioning too most GSTLs hate the REDcard as much as the cashiers do - and most of my peers that I've met try to give cashiers a pass.

lol, one cashier used to just scan the pamphlet every time a guest seemed a little bit interested and would say "it all ready and it only takes a minute" it worked really well tbh

A lot of new cashiers don't get red cards the first week or two. Once you get more confident with cashiering you will gain confidence and start selling red cards. Just make sure to ask every guest. We hired a cashier about 10 months ago, she has gotten maybe 2 red cards in 10 months! She is terrible about asking as well BUT she shows up for all of her shifts, is always willing to come in early, stay later or come in for extra shifts. We have so many cashier call outs that the GSTLs stopped caring that she does not get red cards.
Show up for your shifts, ask every guest about the red card and have a positive attitude and you will be fine.

lol, one cashier used to just scan the pamphlet every time a guest seemed a little bit interested and would say "it all ready and it only takes a minute" it worked really well tbh
Pushy and risky, I like it. But I wonder how many times that backs up the lines unnecessarily bc loading and then canceling an app takes a while.

You will be fine I am sure. Like others have said just ask. You can only control whether you ask or not ...you cant control what they guests says. I have said before but anyone who works the lanes has my respect. I couldn't handle it .

Just keep asking! And don't be afraid to vary the way you ask every few guests or so, as using the same line can get redundant, otherwise you'll be OK.

Ask for feedback from your GSTL
This reminds me, one of our GSA's showed me my stats just from backing up and being the major first responder in my store. In the 4 months (year to date) of 2017, I've had 1950 transactions roughly and 5 red cards. Only non-main cashier that's more than me is an older girl who picks up cashier shifts once or twice a week if they're available. I'm hella proud of that, and hope it comes up in my review.

This reminds me, one of our GSA's showed me my stats just from backing up and being the major first responder in my store. In the 4 months (year to date) of 2017, I've had 1950 transactions roughly and 5 red cards. Only non-main cashier that's more than me is an older girl who picks up cashier shifts once or twice a week if they're available. I'm hella proud of that, and hope it comes up in my review.

Did they also tell you they expect 1 red for every 100 transactions? That's always funny.

Heh, nope. I don't ask that much.

Yes don't ask too much and get too many red cards or your will find your yourself cashiering a lot. We had that happen to Salesfloor TM, she was so good at red cards they changed her workcenter to cashier.

Yes don't ask too much and get too many red cards or your will find your yourself cashiering a lot. We had that happen to Salesfloor TM, she was so good at red cards they changed her workcenter to cashier.
Only reason I don't ask is because most of our guests are regulars and already have them. Either that or just don't want them so I generally don't ask unless they bring it up which is fairly common.

Hmmmm thanks for all the advice guys, I hope I can rake some in soon. I think They're expecting that I start getting some next week. Would it be worthwhile to switch to another area of the store?

Hmmmm thanks for all the advice guys, I hope I can rake some in soon. I think They're expecting that I start getting some next week. Would it be worthwhile to switch to another area of the store?
It really depends on your store's need. There's such a high turnover rate for cashiers that they always need them...I'd wait a bit before asking about cross training though. You generally can't switch work centers in your first 90 days though.

My store has pulled out the "if you don't ask every guest, it can be considered discrimination" line. While it's technically correct, I don't think that's the right way to go about it..

My store has pulled out the "if you don't ask every guest, it can be considered discrimination" line. While it's technically correct, I don't think that's the right way to go about it..
Correct but bad way of putting it. Sometimes from personal experience in retail you don't have time to ask or it just slips your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back