Bench advice

I was in Rite-Aid the other day and I realized just how small it is compared to Target. There are a lot of options between the Dollar Store and a big box store like Target. I think you'd be a perfect fit for a mid-sized store.

Once you're hired, it's all about who's ass you kiss and who likes it. If it's the STL you're in luck. Other than that, there have been many threads about this topic and it seems the majority of people believe you are better off quitting and getting rehired at a higher pay grade. Sad, but true.

I think my critical flaw was that I just "quit" the dollar store. I also had a job before Target, where I worked at a home improvement store as an hourly; however, I was out of my element there because I had no idea what kind of screw Joe Blow needed. I left there on good terms, though. I think it just looked bad to HR that I may have reached my own level of incompetence, which is not the truth. Seriously, other than having two jobs within the last four years. My resume looks pretty good. I am just afraid that I am wasting my time. I have a ton of student loan debt, and I feel like I am not where I should be in life. I know money is not everything, but I would like to be doing better considering my education and experience.

I've been around for a long time but I've never been developed. Recently, I watched with dismay as some of the laziest, sloppiest people I've ever worked with were participating in Talent Day. Now they are on the Bench. I've seen posts on here about standing around talking to get ahead. I have to admit I've seen a lot of that lately. I have often wished I had the courage to just stop whatever I am doing and stand as still as a statue when I see groups standing around socializing. When they asked me what I'm doing I would say, "Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was time to stand around and talk."

I'm allegedly "pre-bench", which means if I had a better attitude and walkie etiquette then I would stand a chance of being benched.

Are we the same person? Those are my "gaps" as well. But since the last time I asked about development, and the ETL-HR literally laughed at me, I figure they can all suck it.

Oops...there's that attitude again!

however, I was out of my element there because I had no idea what kind of screw Joe Blow needed.

Is this how you worded it during your interview? I interviewed a guy once who had the stereotypical "gung-ho" attitude....he kept on stressing that he was a hard worker, would do whatever, show up for whatever, etc etc. Reason why he left his old job though; he hated his supervisors because they were keeping him back from being promoted.

And while this may be true, it wasn't exactly the best way to word it. I get the impression you might have bombed your interview due to bad mouthing old management.

One thing I have learned in the interview process for promotions is that you never bad mouth previous employers. I I will admit that I am not the best at interviews and thinking on my feet. I know I will have to improve on this, if I were to go for bench interviews. All I know is that I am at a cross roads right now. I enjoy my job at Target. I am pretty excited about the prospect of getting a chance to be a TL. Hopefully, I did not set myself up with a false hope that I have a chance to move up at my store. Do the interviews at the TL level consist of behavioral questions? I don't know why, but I do not do well with these types of interviews. I go in prepared, but it all leaves me when they start the questions. This is all hypothetical if the bench opportunity is for real.

Archiving!!! I always say I am going to do that, but my heart starts pounding cuz of all there is to do, so I use a lot just make a face and move far away from the buddy committee. Seriously, there is a pregnant lady who stares off into space all day and rubs her belly. Sometimes she wanders around in the baby dept and brings junk back to f room to hide.

So I'm just curious and I would like a more solid definition of what it means to be put on the team lead bench.

For a little backstory, I was supposed to be made a GSA. But that ended up not happening, because my name came up in a meeting and all of the team leads decided that I would be better suited for something else. So now I'm going to be doing 4x4 walks for half of my shift and I'm going to be the only one responsible for doing them.

When I asked if there was any chance for me to move up from that, I was told I was going to be put on the team lead bench. I have a vague sort of idea of what that means, but could I get some clarification?

Hahaha, I would rather not do that! I'm actively seeking out responsibility and hard work, so I'm not scared. All the higher ups in my store know I'm gunning for a team lead position.

Well, that's comforting.

I don't think that's what's going to happen here, though. My store has a really, really fantastic ETL HR. I don't think they would let something like that happen.

I appreciate all the input, even if it's all a little mixed. Could someone tell me more about what the bench is/what it actually means (or could mean, I guess)?

Basically you are in line for the next opening for a TL position when it opens up.
You won't have to interview the same way as if it was being put out as an opening.
It's going to depend of course, how many people they have on the bench in front of you and if anybody leaves, how fast you get into a job.

It's a fast track to the position but it means you take on a lot more work for no more pay until you get promoted and who knows when that is going to be.
The problem is some unscrupulous managers have used it to get extra work out of people with no intention of actually moving them up Or maybe they meant to move them up but the ETLs switched out, which happens a lot, and the new batch didn't like the people on the bench so it started all over.

Last edited:
^This.
You can do the bench while they watch & see what kind of worker you are.
Then they'll either move you up or come up with another reason so they can see how long they can get extra work out of you.
Then you run screaming into the night.

If your store leadership or district leadership changes then the bench pretty much gets wiped. Screwed over 3 of us at my store.

I was on the bench but only for two weeks it all depends on your leadership if your gonna moved to another store or be held at the same store and wait for a team lead to step down or move up.

You guys have to realize they have succession plans for everyone they deem "target enough"

Just because you're on the bench means nothing I'm pretty sure every store has to have a certain amount of tms bench worthy.

It's a fast track to the position but it means you take on a lot more work for no more pay until you get promoted and who knows when that is going to be.
The problem is some unscrupulous managers have used it to get extra work out of people with no intention of actually moving them up Or maybe they meant to move them up but the ETLs switched out, which happens a lot, and the new batch didn't like the people on the bench so it started all over.

You're supposed to get a pay increase for being on the bench. Every TM who has been benched in my store over the past few years has received a bump in pay

Back