Benefits Bereavement pay

My uncle passed yesterday and was wondering if uncles are included in the Bereavement pay, that way I can take tomorrow off to spend with family. Can’t really afford to financially if it isn’t

…you get paid for the hours you miss on your schedule if you are scheduled on the days you need off. I think it used to be if the funeral etc is on a day you are not scheduled..not missing any pay…so don’t get any pay
I’d just call the pay and benefits # at headquarters and ask about the details. You don’t have to provide them with the funeral arrangements details to find out the exact policy

So Im getting getting bereavement pay for the day of a funeral but they didn't wanna pay for the full 3 days? Maybe cause it's my aunt? Seems kinda shady imo that they are making it seem like they are only willing to do 1 day when they could really do 3. And they also asked for proof of the funeral once I come back to work in the form of a funeral program.

So Im getting getting bereavement pay for the day of a funeral but they didn't wanna pay for the full 3 days? Maybe cause it's my aunt? Seems kinda shady imo that they are making it seem like they are only willing to do 1 day when they could really do 3. And they also asked for proof of the funeral once I come back to work in the form of a funeral program.
Aunt = immediate family = 3 days

edit: guess it changed, boo!

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. Aunt is considered extended family and is 1 day now. You shouldn't need to provide proof but there is nothing saying they can't ask or require it. Unfortunately there aren't many laws in most places for bereavement. Sorry your store is being kinda shitty about it. You can use time off for more days if want but would need to use vacation or sick time possibly, if your local laws allow it for mental health. Not 100% sure on targets sick time policy.

Thanks for condolences! HR said they will pay me for the the funeral day but the additional 2 days I asked off were not going to be paid but I wouldn't be held accountable either. She said they would take me off the schedule which would mean I wouldn't be able to back fill. So I screen shot all my scheduled shifts that will be deleted and went ahead and backfilled one day of those.

Thanks for condolences! HR said they will pay me for the the funeral day but the additional 2 days I asked off were not going to be paid but I wouldn't be held accountable either. She said they would take me off the schedule which would mean I wouldn't be able to back fill. So I screen shot all my scheduled shifts that will be deleted and went ahead and backfilled one day of those.
What do you mean by “backfill”?

Is the bereavement plan different for stores vs DCs?
I looked at the time off program guide on workday and it lists aunt/uncle under immediate family. (Updated 7/1/22)

Last edited:
Honestly I dont care if they pay me or not. I just want to use my backfill hours if they don't wanna pay. Don't take that away from me too you know!

Sorry for your loss. Aunt is considered extended family and is 1 day now. You shouldn't need to provide proof but there is nothing saying they can't ask or require it. Unfortunately there aren't many laws in most places for bereavement. Sorry your store is being kinda shitty about it. You can use time off for more days if want but would need to use vacation or sick time possibly, if your local laws allow it for mental health. Not 100% sure on targets sick time policy.
When my Aunt died it was considered immediate family and I got 3 days. This was 2020 so maybe they changed it.

Honestly I dont care if they pay me or not. I just want to use my backfill hours if they don't wanna pay. Don't take that away from me too you know!
This is where I was getting confused with the terminology of “backfill”. Even if they take those days away it has nothing to do with using your vacation pay. If they only pay for one day of bereavement then you could fill the rest up to your average hours with vacation pay. You can put in requests every single week to bump up to your average if you wanted to.

This is where I was getting confused with the terminology of “backfill”. Even if they take those days away it has nothing to do with using your vacation pay. If they only pay for one day of bereavement then you could fill the rest up to your average hours with vacation pay. You can put in requests every single week to bump up to your average if you wanted to.
Ya we just say “cash out vacation”. Lol

The HR woman said I wouldn't have to worry about calling in cause they would delete me off the schedule. In my mind that meant I wouldn't have anything on mytime app to be able to backfill on. Know what I'm saying?

The HR woman said I wouldn't have to worry about calling in cause they would delete me off the schedule. In my mind that meant I wouldn't have anything on mytime app to be able to backfill on. Know what I'm saying?

If you have vacation time and want to use it for that, you most certainly can.

Doesn’t matter if you’re scheduled or not. You can always cash out vacation up to 40 hours. When I was scheduled less, I cashed out up to 40 each week.

Back