Archived Black Friday 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanksgiving/Black Friday Tips

4. If you're planning on calling out, when the schedule for Black Friday comes out next week please try to give your shift to someone who isn't scheduled (despite the all hands on deck calls, a few dozen people or so don't get scheduled Black Friday every year) Don't screw your team over if you can.

Basically you have until Tuesday November 7th to request Thanksgiving or Black Friday off but do it with the mentally that your gonna get denied. The store still has to operate and they need TMs there. So like @HRZone said try to get your shift covered before calling out. Plus be prepared for your leadership to look down on you as you had 365 days to request it off. My ETL said he had people try to request Thanksgiving off after the schedule was posted and then they tried to call out. You knew by selecting Target as your employer that holidays were required. You get paid extra and get food so its not that bad.

Yeah, that extra 8 bucks and missing dinner to get trampled is so worth it

Meh we have dinner in the afternoon. Gives me plenty of time to go to work after.

Assuming you make 11 dollars and considering the average Black Friday shift is like 5 to 11 or 1:30 it's actually an extra 40-50 bucks.

Lol no team member gets trampled. It's usually the guest who do that to one another.

Meh we have dinner in the afternoon. Gives me plenty of time to go to work after.

Assuming you make 11 dollars and considering the average Black Friday shift is like 5 to 11 or 1:30 it's actually an extra 40-50 bucks.

Lol no team member gets trampled. It's usually the guest who do that to one another.

My store had no issues last year. Guests were giving us compliments because they went to other Target stores in the area where people were pushing and shoving. Basically what type of APTL you have will determine how black friday will go down. Ours was telling people if you push or shove we will shut the doors or kick you out of the store. Exactly like the crow management tests tells you to do.

I'm a little anxious for Black Friday. I was hired last November but HR didn't schedule me to work on Black Friday. I left Target back in August and I just came back as a transfer to a different location. Wish me luck.

I'm a little anxious for Black Friday. I was hired last November but HR didn't schedule me to work on Black Friday. I left Target back in August and I just came back as a transfer to a different location. Wish me luck.
I worked the very early morning to early afternoon shift last Black Friday. I'm also in the same boat wondering where they are gonna stick me this year.

Does Target usually follow your normal availability for Thanksgiving/Black Friday? I realize ASANTS but I’m just curious. I have another job (but I get Thursday and Friday off) so normally I’m only available for nights and weekends

Does Target usually follow your normal availability for Thanksgiving/Black Friday? I realize ASANTS but I’m just curious. I have another job (but I get Thursday and Friday off) so normally I’m only available for nights and weekends

You can always talk to HR and let them know your free to work both days

You can also put in a temp schedule on Mytime but make sure you mark it as temporary

They SHOULD, but doesn’t mean they will. Also this may be an ASANTS thing. Talk to HR to be sure

Nope, they will assume that whatever you would normally be doing on Thursday is cancelled since it's a holiday. The only exceptions I've seen was if they knew your availability was due to another retail job that will also be open on Thanksgiving.

They should have asked you before you were hired if you were willing to work holidays, which is why they can ignore your normal Thursday availability.

Previous years at my store they went around and asked for peoples' availability for holidays, e.g. would you rather work Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas, early Black Friday or later, etc. No idea if they still do that with all the leadership turnover around here.

My store doesn't have an ETL-AP or an APTL right now. Should I be worried for Black Friday?
We had a BF without AP (aside from a few hour's coverage from another store's AP). From what I heard, people were just walking out with TVs.

Previous years at my store they went around and asked for peoples' availability for holidays, e.g. would you rather work Christmas Eve or the day after Christmas, early Black Friday or later, etc. No idea if they still do that with all the leadership turnover around here.

We had a BF without AP (aside from a few hour's coverage from another store's AP). From what I heard, people were just walking out with TVs.
As long as you make sales it doesn’t matter how much walks out the door. Theft is a write off for target.

They actually ask you guys if you’re available working Thanksgiving/Black Friday?

I think Target is trying to perpetuate this image that they're actually trying to be considerate of the family-oriented employees they have who might want to spend holidays with their kids (and I do think that on a store level they actually do try to take needs into consideration) but at the end of the day, there's just so much to be done and not enough people to go around, that even though HR might be really sympathetic to your needs, they still gotta schedule you.

I mean, it IS retail. I worked every single holiday the five years I was there. I was often able to get specific shift needs approved (i.e. work morning instead of evening or vice versa) but I still worked.

You'd think the APBP would have had tons of police coverage then. Oh, Target...

You are going to get scheduled I presume. It's all hands on deck at most stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back