Archived Black Friday 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
-If a guest asks you if any other stores in the area have an item, don't trust the pda/my device. It does not always update properly. Please don't cause issues for people are others stores by doing this. I had so many people angry at me because someone at another store told them that my store had an item in stock.

Personally, I tell them to do a store pickup. "It will get specially set aside for you and you'll get an email when it's ready." This saves everyone's time except backroom's, but honestly, it drives sales and online shopping is the way of the future.

I have morning shifts only will they schedule me out of my availability on Thanksgiving nights?

I have morning shifts only will they schedule me out of my availability on Thanksgiving nights?
They're going to assume that whatever you would be doing Thanksgiving Day that causes you to be unavailable will not apply. If you have an urgent need to be off Thanksgiving night, talk to your ETL ASAP.

I would add to this thread: no guest has the right to treat you like shit. You *will* get a guest who is upset. Do your best to help them, but if there comes a point in the conversation where you can't do anything more to make them happy, offer to call an ETL/LOD. Or if they walk up with a bad attitude to begin with, skip straight to an ETL/LOD.

I would add to this thread: no guest has the right to treat you like shit. You *will* get a guest who is upset. Do your best to help them, but if there comes a point in the conversation where you can't do anything more to make them happy, offer to call an ETL/LOD. Or if they walk up with a bad attitude to begin with, skip straight to an ETL/LOD.
That's why their getting the big bucks, most people crumble in the face of authority and they can throw a bone to an disgruntled guests to get them to stop snarling.

It's possible. Some stores will ask for your preferred schedule but the expectation is if they need you thanksgiving day you will get scheduled. If you need it off you should always ask well in advance. Waiting until November usually doesn't end well.

In majority of Targets, your availability doesn't come into play for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. It could be different at your store but it would be the minority. Best to get with your LOD as soon as possible

Thanksgiving/Black Friday Tips

1. To echo @slowhands stand your ground. There was a poster here last year who was at the electronics boat and got rushed by a bunch of guest. He says his walkie calls were ignored. If you fear for your safety don't hesitate to call "Cold Chilly Green" (Even if you aren't injured but are simply unsafe) -- your LOD is required to respond to such a call immediately.

2. Partner with your leadership to find out our Q4 Policies. For example our price match policies change a lot for the Holidays. May or may not have gotten into it with a seasonal who offered to price match Best Buy when I had just told a guest that we cannot.

3. Expect the worst then realize it's not so bad. The one nice thing about Black Friday is the store is staffed incredibly well. It's going to be chaos but once you relax and realize there isn't much you can do and you have plenty of people to commiserate with you leave at the end of the day not feeling so well.

4. If you're planning on calling out, when the schedule for Black Friday comes out next week please try to give your shift to someone who isn't scheduled (despite the all hands on deck calls, a few dozen people or so don't get scheduled Black Friday every year) Don't screw your team over if you can.

5. Don't get fired over merchandise. Our AP Director for our group was telling our ETL AP to watch people closely for purchasing guidelines and partner with my ETL for terms. If you hide merchandise for yourself you will probably get caught. We had some idiot on this site who used to brag about how he would hide merchandise for himself and other BR team members. He's gone now, maybe he left Target but I bet he got fired because he was a pompous idiot.

6. Enjoy the food at your store. I know a lot of stores say they don't have FFF days anymore but HR's are required to do food for at least Thanksgiving and/or Black Friday. We're also doing food several weekends in December. I'm going to encourage TM's who aren't scheduled to come in and enjoy catered food. If they don't provide any food call the hotline, they have no way of finding out it's you who called and the budgets for food in November is insanely high. Also your mood will be a lot better if you aren't tired and hungry, probably won't be able to help the tired but you can help the hungry.

7. Take your breaks and lunches. You work for Target you don't make enough to justify skipping them.

8. You will have some downright nasty guest. It's a badge of honor. Just remember they will be gone in 5 minutes and you will also see some extremely kind/friendly guest who help each other out or show genuine appreciation for you doing what you do.

10. If you need someone to talk to, take a moment to do that. Our group had a TM suicide Q4 last year. I don't think retail caused the suicide but remember the team is here for you. Speaking for my past experiences our camaraderie is always amazing Q4.

11. You didn't notice I skipped #9 haha

Edited one for you. Sorry that typo made me remember Burger king

Its code green.

Vodka... LOTS of Vodka! lol
Hey it's thetargetman. Fine advice. After hours. I like the frozen shots dipped in lime and sugar that is a Japanese word for divine wind that I can't spell (and can't trick my spell checker into revealing) because it is somewhat breezy here.

Best advice is... it's actually a really easy day, because people are like triple scheduled.

So, when a CAF does drop, there's like 8 people trying to push it, just to have something to do.

You can counter this by just going and eating the free food in the break room.

And, yes, I have worked 9 Black Fridays

Last edited:
I love working black Friday. Being in the backroom is the best and the time goes by super quick.

It's definitely my favorite day to work

In majority of Targets, your availability doesn't come into play for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. It could be different at your store but it would be the minority. Best to get with your LOD as soon as possible

I haven't seen it this year but the previous years they were only concerned with who wanted to work Thanksgiving and we generally had a lot of volunteers. Black Friday has never been asked about. It's always been assumed all hands on deck.

Meh. It's just one night.

My store isn't high volume, though.

I always make sure I know where product is from the ad.... ie usually Mens has video game shippers, Girls has movie shippers, Women's has tv pallets, Boys and Baby usually has toy shippers, etc.

At the beginning of your shift, if you are in hardlines, walk the store to check things out, and your store should provide a Black Friday ad that has DPCIs and locations for items.

Constantly keep up with reshop and strays.

When I am in Toys, I always have back up plans for endcaps that blow out. In Domestics and Housewares, I know which endcaps to reset after the ad items sell.

You will have a love-hate relationship with your walkie... worse than a normally bad day.

Get with the LOD to either refill shipper bins or tear them down ASAP. Store looks cleaner without all the bins (once all the product has sold down, and no other product can be substituted.)

Last edited:
Absolutely no discussion about who wants to work on Thanksgiving. Black Friday is a no brainer, all hands on deck. However, in the past, like @RightArm said, TLs/LODs have asked about Thanksgiving Day preferences/volunteers well ahead of the schedule being made. This year, nothing.

I remember last year we had all hands on deck and it started slowing down around 9pm. They started asking if people wanted to go home early, so I did.

Sbux was busy until about 3:30. Picked up again at 6:00.

Psh my Time and a half ends at Midnight.

So I leave at midnight. Then I come in to a mess on the Friday.

Should be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back