Archived Black Friday Walkout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Target have a plan for a mass Target Team Member walkout during Black Thursday/Friday ? For example at 6pm when the doors open every team member walks out the door. I heard rumors not just Target but other employees at Walmart, Best Buy, etc are planning such a move in protest.

Not if every team member did it. According to policy leaving before your shit ends is just a HR policy violation.
I quickly changed my statement. Removed the "powerful movement part". Its late, I need to watch what I say.

Let me revise my early statement on this subject: Don't do it.

I actually mentioned this exact scenario to a friend of mine in jest. Just like, "What if everyone took off their name tags at 6PM on Thanksgiving day and just peaced out? Just walked off, leaving leadership to deal with the mess."

That is truly the only way these Thanks Giving hours will change if everyone just refused to work those hours. To many people need these jobs to risk it though. I would say if they got 90% participation from employees they couldnt fire them all and would have to respond with change.

You're talking about a company that closed a store for union activity under the guise of 'remodeling'.
If they did that without regard to lost sales at that location, I'm pretty sure they'd have a way to cover a walk-out.
The thing about 'walk-outs' is it's hard to gauge absolute participation & for it to be truly effective, you'd have to be sure that a significant percentage (80%+) is on-board.
There would also likely be a snitch who'd give corp a heads-up so they would no doubt draft a contingency plan.

If you are thinking there aren't a few corporate people scanning the boards here, you are fooling yourself. Not that I am one, but I've seen companies I have worked for catch things floating on the inter-webs faster than the rest of the world.

That'd be a Thanksgiving walkout, not a Black Friday walkout! TOTALLY different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That'd be a Thanksgiving walkout, not a Black Friday walkout! TOTALLY different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Thanksgiving is basically Black Friday since that's when we have all of the doorbuster deals.

There are better and safer (career-wise) to protest. Walking out would suck. I like the idea of all team members just standing in the back without doing anything though. It would be cool if we just stood there chatting and playing videogames until 12am when it's officially Friday, then we all just kind of start working for the remaining 6 or 2 hours, depending if you took the 12 hour shift or not.

^^Working logistics there are ways TMs who are mad at leadership can passively aggressively not work. Especially when the store is open i've seen TMs who will just go do guests first for like half an hour, ask every person that walks by if there is anything we can help you find, deep zone as they push etc, need a cart or three-tier walk all the way to the front or way in the backroom to grab one at a leasurly pace.

Hell i accidentally wasted a hour when fallout 4 came out because our electronics opener was running late and i had a key. So ring one person out, grab 3 more games(because of the buy 2 get 1 free deal), ring another out for a full hour. Wasn't even my job I was just passing by and just wanted to help. Oh and we ran out of nuka cola in like 20 mins with people just buying 1-2 at a time didn't help we only had 1 case of that crap.

I think regardless if this is just for fun or for real, every one needs to send emails to as many local news outlets as they can saying target employees will be walking out or no showing that day as a statement that family comes first. Just to get corporates pantys in a wad.

I would guess that anyone that is to walk out or not work and stand around on Thursday, will probably be let go as where if you where sick there's nothing that can be done.

God speed to all that dare!!!

I think regardless if this is just for fun or for real, every one needs to send emails to as many local news outlets as they can saying target employees will be walking out or no showing that day as a statement that family comes first. Just to get corporates pantys in a wad.

I would guess that anyone that is to walk out or not work and stand around on Thursday, will probably be let go as where if you where sick there's nothing that can be done.

God speed to all that dare!!!

Truthfully, this wouldn't be a horrible idea, but since it's out on this board already it's voided, at least for this year...

It would be funny to have news anchors across the country and/or even abroad preparing to cover the "grand walkout" at Target endlessly until the day of just to get a reaction from Target.

Obviously no one would actually walk out, and then the media feels like shit, and Target feels dumb, win win. Not sure what the consequence of that would be though, assuming all tips to the media were anonymous/third party and not directly a Target Employee.

The work slow down has a long and treasured history.
Unions have used it as an alternative to the strike since the beginning of labor actions.
Do exactly your job, no more, no less.
Take all the time you need to do it completely and properly.
Spot has decided to take away fun and friendly so they don't get fast either.

That is truly the only way these Thanks Giving hours will change if everyone just refused to work those hours. To many people need these jobs to risk it though. I would say if they got 90% participation from employees they couldnt fire them all and would have to respond with change.
As long as there are people willing to shop on Thanksgiving retailers ( including Spot) will open. The public has the power not the employees/tms. The way Spot see it we ( tms) are replaceable the guests...not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back