Archived Black Thursday 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is trying to hire 100 people for SFS. However, considering a lot of the applicants, during the hiring event this past weekend, came in smelling like they smoked a few joints in their car before coming into the store, I don't think we are going to come anywhere near what is needed. Also, the new Amazon warehouse/DC near us held their hiring event this weekend, too. Most people seemed to be going for the $15 an hour job. Go figure.
I thought the move to $15 was going drive so many good workers to target... Oh that's right just another thing Amazon beat us at again. Target is always 1 step behind playing catch up, except when it comes to running the company into the ground with E2E.

That seems likely, but where did you hear this? We normally don't find out until mid November.

This weekend our GSAs were telling me that they already know their shifts.
Today our Substitute STL says that the official schedule will be announced on Nov. 3.
Also said that he thinks we'll be closed midnight to 6am. Last year was the first time that our store closed for the overnight re-stock of products.

Oh....the pre-sale items start the first of November, too. There will not be huge items offered like TVs. Mostly smaller"ish" items. The sales will be for different times...several days to one day sales.

Sfs is going to be big, we just hired an army of pickers. Gonna be tough to keep the shelves full.

Mid volume sales store, but sfs has been huge for us. They're adding another pack station before Thanksgiving. On top of that they want to hire 32 more tms for sfs alone on top of the nine we usually have. Sfs will almost be as big as softlines and hardlines teams combined

I thought the move to $15 was going drive so many good workers to target... Oh that's right just another thing Amazon beat us at again. Target is always 1 step behind playing catch up, except when it comes to running the company into the ground with E2E.

I disagree. You don't have to beat Amazon if you are beating Kroger, Walmart, and your other local chains (we have Meijer, which is just Walmart but not as trashed.)

Mid volume sales store, but sfs has been huge for us. They're adding another pack station before Thanksgiving. On top of that they want to hire 32 more tms for sfs alone on top of the nine we usually have. Sfs will almost be as big as softlines and hardlines teams combined

The amount of SFS business they expect us to do is ... formidable ... but I definitely agree with the SFS strategy. I don't think we are gonna have room for all the UPS pallets though.

You don’t get a truck on thanksgiving day . And target has been opening at 6 for the past few years: My shift starts at 2 pm and so does my backroom team . For the sole purpose of doing opu amd sfs
Depends on the store. We always take a truck ON thanksgiving to get every piece of truck out before we open.

We hired 100 for sfs last weekend.

So the store will be opening at 6pm and closing when, midnight? When does flow come in then?

My first year at Target we were open all night and flow started at 12:30 am. It was super chill and guest interaction was one at a time. We got clean and had extra time to zone.

Then last year we switched to 6pm and and they had flow scheduled at open but just to stand around in the middle of the crowds saying "I don't know" or "sold out sorry" 500,000 times whenever a guest asked where so and so doorbuster was at. Some poor motherfucker had to stand in one spot for six hours holding a balloon to direct guests to the end of the line. Then after close we gathered up several hundred tons of reshop, pushed 0.1% of it for an hour and then went home. It was stupid as fuck and I'm still mad about it over 300 days later. If we get a repeat of that this year I'll literally die.

This won't be my first Black Friday rodeo in retail, but it will be for Target. For some strange reason, I keep hearing the William Tell Overtire Finale playing in my head for Black Friday.

So the store will be opening at 6pm and closing when, midnight? When does flow come in then?

My first year at Target we were open all night and flow started at 12:30 am. It was super chill and guest interaction was one at a time. We got clean and had extra time to zone.

Then last year we switched to 6pm and and they had flow scheduled at open but just to stand around in the middle of the crowds saying "I don't know" or "sold out sorry" 500,000 times whenever a guest asked where so and so doorbuster was at. Some poor motherfucker had to stand in one spot for six hours holding a balloon to direct guests to the end of the line. Then after close we gathered up several hundred tons of reshop, pushed 0.1% of it for an hour and then went home. It was stupid as fuck and I'm still mad about it over 300 days later. If we get a repeat of that this year I'll literally die.

We always take a truck Thursday morning. The flow team agreed as a team to come in at 4 and work till truck push was done. We were out at 11. I have never worked on Thursday and not had a truck. If we didn't I would try and not go in.

So speaking of Black Thursday, are the SCO's used during the mad rush? I'm asking because store recently remodeled and have SCO's so just curious if guests are able to use it like normal or only for 10 items or less?

Our SCOs weren't used during Black Thursday but they were in service when we opened Friday.

My store uses SCO and has two TMs monitoring them through the entire Thanksgiving weekend. We only have 4 stations, so having double coverage made things much easier there.

So speaking of Black Thursday, are the SCO's used during the mad rush? I'm asking because store recently remodeled and have SCO's so just curious if guests are able to use it like normal or only for 10 items or less?
For the last two years on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, we had a cashier assigned to each self check out (in our case 4) and it was set to logged on mode (not self check out mode). The line was for 10 items or less.

Selling contract phones is gonna be a B****

I was doing toy pushes yesterday right across from the electronics boat. While I was doing my normal zone out, not really thinking so I could just get through work, I was thinking what the hell is Target going to do when the Baby Boomers finally die off and no one buys phones from them anymore?

Not really on topic, but whatever. I wonder if there is a Baby Boomer die off phone plan.

We had a cashier stationed at each of our 12 machines who rung people up like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back