Archived Black Thursday/Friday 2016 War Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my 5th Thanksgiving/Black Friday and the least fun/most stressful. I cashier and back up guest service (Me-40+ mom type). Last year I was assigned electronics which I didn't particularly enjoy. I was assigned there again this year but asked for the front end. Was told no problem. I was assigned register 9 which I was happy about, front lane about half way. Problems started with first guest- chip reader wouldn't work. Immediately tried a turn off and re boot. Problem persisted after it came back up. Was told to do the old 3 trys and then swipe but send those with Red cards to another lane. It didn't take long to realize that any ring up over $200 or so processing as credit after allowing a swipe instead of a chip caused the card to be declined and in some cases an immediate fraud alert text sent to guest in some cases just a decline. The guest would then have to call the bank on Thanksgiving and hold to get the card unlocked so they could use on another lane if they didn't have another form of payment. Was told to try to judge the total cost and send to another lane if the order looked large. The problem is that I couldn't always see small electronics and it is sometimes hard to judge if a device was a $40 one or a $120 one when mixed with lots of low cost items. Just super stressful. A little over 1.5 hours into my 5 hr shift, when the lines were dying down I just turned off my light and started to collect reshop and hangers. When it was time to come back from my break I just went to guest services and helped out there. The chip read error was annoying but I could live with the extra 70 seconds to insert 3 times. I just was not going to get anyone locked out of the CC for the night because of a broken card reader.

We have like 20 of them (including the few we received on the last few trucks). It's a great deal, so it's hard to understand why they didn't sell out on BF.

Good deal but the Samsungs are a better deal in terms of value and quality.

Does anyone have element 43 tv's left over?

And some 4k 50 inch westinghouses. want to take them off our hands? ;)

This was my 5th Thanksgiving/Black Friday and the least fun/most stressful. I cashier and back up guest service (Me-40+ mom type). Last year I was assigned electronics which I didn't particularly enjoy. I was assigned there again this year but asked for the front end. Was told no problem. I was assigned register 9 which I was happy about, front lane about half way. Problems started with first guest- chip reader wouldn't work. Immediately tried a turn off and re boot. Problem persisted after it came back up. Was told to do the old 3 trys and then swipe but send those with Red cards to another lane. It didn't take long to realize that any ring up over $200 or so processing as credit after allowing a swipe instead of a chip caused the card to be declined and in some cases an immediate fraud alert text sent to guest in some cases just a decline. The guest would then have to call the bank on Thanksgiving and hold to get the card unlocked so they could use on another lane if they didn't have another form of payment. Was told to try to judge the total cost and send to another lane if the order looked large. The problem is that I couldn't always see small electronics and it is sometimes hard to judge if a device was a $40 one or a $120 one when mixed with lots of low cost items. Just super stressful. A little over 1.5 hours into my 5 hr shift, when the lines were dying down I just turned off my light and started to collect reshop and hangers. When it was time to come back from my break I just went to guest services and helped out there. The chip read error was annoying but I could live with the extra 70 seconds to insert 3 times. I just was not going to get anyone locked out of the CC for the night because of a broken card reader.
Is your GSTL just not paying attention? I would've had you on a different lane the FIRST time you had problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back