Archived Black Thursday/Friday 2016 War Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one little moment that stuck out and I'm sure will have repercussions down the line.

It was 3AM and I was over in toys helping as best as I could to replenish when flow started wheeling out the toys they unloaded from the lull truck. Everything was going fine and well until the new Logistics-ETL we have snapped at one of the flow crew for having backstock (the new ETL encourages overpush and backstock is a no-no). The ETL yelled at him, point blank in front of everyone on the sales floor, "YOU'RE NOT IN F******* HIGH SCHOOL ANYMORE! YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE HERE!!!". The poor kid was completely embarrassed and humiliated.

Keep in mind that he scheduled the flow crew to be there from 5PM Thursday, until 4AM Friday. An 11-hour shift that included braving the Black Friday crowd, pushing a 2,100 piece truck, and doing auto-fills.

Everyone finished up, but judging from the snippets of conversation I heard and judging from their reactions, it's safe to say this ETL has lost his team before he even had a chance for them to buy into his way of doing things.

There was one little moment that stuck out and I'm sure will have repercussions down the line.

It was 3AM and I was over in toys helping as best as I could to replenish when flow started wheeling out the toys they unloaded from the lull truck. Everything was going fine and well until the new Logistics-ETL we have snapped at one of the flow crew for having backstock (the new ETL encourages overpush and backstock is a no-no). The ETL yelled at him, point blank in front of everyone on the sales floor, "YOU'RE NOT IN F******* HIGH SCHOOL ANYMORE! YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE HERE!!!". The poor kid was completely embarrassed and humiliated.

:eek:

What a jerk.

Keep in mind that he scheduled the flow crew to be there from 5PM Thursday, until 4AM Friday. An 11-hour shift that included braving the Black Friday crowd, pushing a 2,100 piece truck, and doing auto-fills.

Everyone finished up, but judging from the snippets of conversation I heard and judging from their reactions, it's safe to say this ETL has lost his team before he even had a chance for them to buy into his way of doing things.

Oh fuck no! You are a tiny little man for yelling at a child for doing his job correctly. You are in for a world of shit if you think that is how you get people to work for you. You humiliated one but you also lost any chance of respect of most of the others. You just let your entire team know you are horrid leader and not to expend one ounce of effort to help you with anything. Punch a clock push a few boxes and leave. Let you clean up all the shit when it hits the fan.

Our Black Friday was suuuuper slow. The store was basically empty for my whole shift and we were able to push a truck basically like normal. This does not bode well.

Most exciting thing was a TM slicing his hand open and leaving a comically long and meandering trail of blood leading to the offices. Following his trail you'd think he had no idea where he was going.

He's fine. They only had to amputate part of his hand.

Most exciting thing was a TM slicing his hand open and leaving a comically long and meandering trail of blood leading to the offices. Following his trail you'd think he had no idea where he was going.
Sounds like one of the hardlines team members in my store. Everytime he gets a box cutter he cuts himself or damages product. Our stl has forbidden him from having a box cutter

I honestly don't have any war stories. I was SFS and we had finished picking orders a few minutes before the doors opened. The 3 of us that stayed for a 24 hour shift pretty much didn't leave the backroom unless it was meal time. The other 3 with us took their meals as well when we went on our first meal, but they were out at 11:45pm. I know we didn't make sales. That's about all I know lol.

EDIT: Oh shit I forgot. We first asked our STL if there was a pack deadline, he says no. ETL HL comes back at 8:40pm as all 6 of us are getting ready to go on meal. Says yeah pack deadline is 10pm. We all immediately started scanning out 155 orders and a Sr. TL tells us to do a punch correction for the meal punch. Then after we picked fridays orders, we assumed that it was the 12pm pick/4pm pack deadlines like usual. Nope. We just scanned our carts in like 11:55, collates start printing 12:15ish and another Sr.TL is like um DTL wants a pic of the screen with the orders all scanned out by 12:30pm... The collates didn't stop printing until 12:25pm. We made the deadline but wtf. Everything else went smoothly for us...

Last edited:
Just got told we killed sales on Thursday and Saturday but missed Friday by a narrow margin - narrow enough that the overkill on Thursday and Saturday more than covered it. I'm just glad it's over with.

Look at this Nike store

SHOPPERS DEMOLISH NIKE STORE IN BLACK FRIDAY CRAZE
14597414_1599021077073603_4221516543420268544_n.jpg

Shoppers demolish Nike Store in Black Friday craze

When I found someone just wandering around not doing anything I asked for their mydevice, took a pda from someone who was leaving at 8AM, and found the walkie on the SFS desk. I laid claim reeeeal quick.
I was in toys thurs/fri and had no equipment either night when I started. Sorry but you need them in toys. So I took on from food ave and one from pfresh.

apparently there was some sort of bargain video game bin back in our Electronics department that a TM (i don't know who or how many) filled with Final Fantasy XV Day One Edition, which was street dated. The STL authorized two rain checks for the price in the bin (EIGHT DOLLARS) with business cards before the folks in electronics finally picked them up and put them all away. I don't even know how you make a mistake like that, but we kept getting them in guest's carts for hours at the front and no one was happy about us saying they literally can't buy it.

My evening was pretty chill. Handled TV distribution, gave out tickets. Half of the guests decided that they didn't want the TVs because we didn't have any reservations on the Samsung ones.

edit: oh yeah, and I have no idea how we did on Thursday night but I saw Friday and we missed our goal by $12-15k. Giving rough numbers to not be too specific. So that's surely going to develop well.

Last edited:
apparently there was some sort of bargain video game bin back in our Electronics department that a TM (i don't know who or how many) filled with Final Fantasy XV Day One Edition, which was street dated. The STL authorized two rain checks for the price in the bin (EIGHT DOLLARS) with business cards before the folks in electronics finally picked them up and put them all away. I don't even know how you make a mistake like that, but we kept getting them in guest's carts for hours at the front and no one was happy about us saying they literally can't buy it.

For some damn reason those games were included in the POG for that bin. I noticed and made sure they never made it in there but, yeah, that's really corporate's screw up.

Nobody was specifically rude or impatient, but we did have one guest shit himself and continue to shop WITH THE POOP IN HIS PANTS for about an hour. It was an especially potent smell -- I thought some teens had set off a stink bomb as a prank until we identified the dude. Had guests terrified/furiously insisting it was a gas leak of some kind. Somehow none of it managed to get on the floor, as far as we know...

Mine was fine. This is from a friend of mine, who was cashiering for the first time back in electronics. (She's a 50+ year old mom, i love her)

Guest: *like one minute after we opened, dude RAN to the back of the store* WHERE'S MY FUCKING LAPTOP
TM: Excuse me?
Guest: *slams down ticket* I GOT MY FUCKING TICKET, WHERE THE FUCK'S MY LAPTOP.
TM: Well, hold on one moment. *She gets the laptop*
Guest: This thing's a piece of shit! Who would want this? Blah Blah Blah.
TM: *very sternly* You don't have to pay for it if you don't want it. It's a very hot item and I'm sure there are other people who would love to have it.
Guest: No I want it. I'll just sell it on eBay.
TM: ....

(god bless her. I would have taken away his ticket the first time he swore at me).

Thanksgiving and black Friday were a piece of cake because we were well organized and had a great team.. this week? not so much.
Took a 6000 piece truck Monday and tuesday, 1700 sfs order monday, 1400 tuesday, our store is fucking empty, guests are pissed and all TLs and ETLs have been working 14 hour shifts this week and last week. my check is going to be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back