Archived Black Thursday/Friday 2016 War Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stayed for 3, 12 hour shifts to cover backstock over the past few weeks. Got in 75 TVs, 100 trees and 35 microwaves, TONS of 2day shippers all in one truck. BRTL was off work so I was the one to manage it all and find spaces in recieving alone. Spent the first 8 managing receiving and organizing, next 4hours backstocking probably 60% of the stockroom with the flow TL because brtms dipped out early.

I don't even want to think about how bad Thursday and Friday will be. We only have two GSAs no gstl no ap a shit ton of slow cashiers and but we do have 3 cart attendants so we have that going for us I guess

Sounds about like my store. I think we will have AP. But it's just going to be me and the GSTL up front. My store did away with the cart attendant position. Salesfloor TMs and TLs now come to the front for "cart blitzes." So I'm not sure how that's gonna work out... We also have slow cashiers that just barely started training a week or two ago. We barely got self checkouts about a month ago. There's only one set of keys between two people there and as of yesterday, half of the SCOs weren't working properly. Most of our equipment doesn't work. I've only seen two myDevice holsters lately. I feel so unprepared and the shirt they gave me to wear goes all the way down to my knees. Today will be interesting and I hope I can manage. I'll only be there until midnight though.

nothing is spider wrapped or merch protected in any way and we have 1 tsp 1 aps and 1 etl ap and the tps told me he wants to cry along with me

h o w d a r e they do this to my precious cinnamon roll who just wanted merch protection

Yes LOD, you can be annoyed with me for not going all the way to sporting goods to make sure we do for certain carry the air mattress the guest wanted, instead of just relying on the oft erronious MyDevice. But when you're as busy as I am, going all the way over there costs me two callbox compliance violations and six annoyed guests. If you want me not cutting corners, than put a second person for coverage in the busiest part of your store, instead of getting mad because I failed an impossible job.

TLDR: LOD doesnt realize I'm guest servicing six people at a time, shame on me for not bringing my clone in with me to work today.
What department are you in? Not that it really matters, we're all swamped with guests, but Electronics was just like that yesterday because of the 55% off the PowerBeats on Cartwheel yesterday.

We had a flat out fist fight at the front lanes over too many items at the express lane. Are people stupid?

Animals and savages, all of them...

We had a flat out fist fight at the front lanes over too many items at the express lane. Are people stupid?

Animals and savages, all of them...
My partner TPS almost got in a fist fight in electronics not even five minutes after opening. Some guy wanted to play tough and push through a woman in line.

Sales was like 50% 2 hours before midnight.
So bad. The stuff i set out in front of electronics laying on the floor was pretty bad. I thought all the PS4s/Xboxs were going to sell to, same with TVs but it was horrible lol.

Finished with one shift; I survived, my feet didn't though. Now I just have to go back for my last shift of the week and see how that goes.

Steady but picked back up around 10 pm.
We just made our sales for Thursday. Our goal for 6 pm - 12 midnight was 250 k and we did around 260 k.
Now Friday from 12 am to 11 pm our goal is 450 k. I sure hope we are busy I don't go back in til 3 pm

I haven't had a chance to look at our sales yet considering I haven't been able to leave the front end except for mandatory 30s and that consists of bathroom break and quick nap. Between 6 and 1130 we had a line at the front end with all 13 registers plus sco open and moving people along. At 730 one of the electronics registers decided to call it quits and still hasn't come back up. Since there was only 2 GSAs the sltl was supposed to be helping with the line. What she actually was doing was panicking about how we were in constant backup (it's her 3 bf open). Then at 1030 she tells both us GSAs that we need to start thinking about lunch and figure out breaks(meanwhile she has the cashier grid and is supposed to be using the two extra cashiers to send people on breaks. Her brilliant solution was to send 5 cashiers on break at the same time in order to catch up. I call the etl GE to object and his reply was she's a srtl so she knows what she is doing. Then as the night went on I got called back to electronics which was completely staffed with new team members, apparently the cashier gave one guest a 40$ discount for an item but wouldn't anyone else. at 2am I was supposed to be able to go home but unfortunately everyone who ate the Chinese food last night got food poisoning so looks like I'm stuck here till store closes. Fml

We just got new spider keys at every register in the Spring. But AP chose black Friday of ALL DAYS to begin using a new type of spider wrap. The one where the mechanism to wind/unwind it is kind of like a fishing pole reel. And nobody, GSAs included, was taught how to open them.

Black friday was actually pretty smooth. Our STL and ETL-AP had everything well organized and we made it with just the ETL-AP in plainclothes, our one TPS, and two off duty cops—one at the entrance and one at the boat. We had every lane open (yet someone had the bright idea to press the backup button). I had the shadiest transaction I've ever seen. I won't go into details because it will probably out me, but leadership gave me the go ahead so not my problem. After the first hour or so, things slowed down so much that 19 lanes was overkill, so the STL (who also acts as ETL-HL with a SrTL) grabbed some of us to do pulls and reshop. We got a crash course in that, and ended up having to become Electronics TM too when we did reshop too close to the boat. I went from having never been anywhere but on a lane to doing spider wraps, opening video game cases, and doing reshop in HBA. It was a cool night. Great atmosphere all around.

Seems a bit slow from 6A to noon as compared to last year. But, we sold out of all the TVs. In past years we always had a few leftover by this time. Maybe we didn't get as many as before.

I'm more than a bit worried about 4th quarter. At 10pm we were 25% short of our sales goal... that's with only two hours remaining. I was at the Service Desk and if it wasn't for selling ticketed TVs, it would have been slow for most of my shift. This doesn't bode well for the rest of the quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back