Archived Botched Market Rollout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhhh. Now I see why my store hasn't started the market team. Cause if it ain't broke don't fix it. We had 5 dairy pallets 3 freezer 3 produce 1 meat 1 banana All done except bakery and 2 metros of back stock in freezer. That will be done today Saturday on a non FDC truck day.

Ahhhh. Now I see why my store hasn't started the market team. Cause if it ain't broke don't fix it. We had 5 dairy pallets 3 freezer 3 produce 1 meat 1 banana All done except bakery and 2 metros of back stock in freezer. That will be done today Saturday on a non FDC truck day.

That is all fine and dandy until they roll out something else that builds on top of the changes they assumed you made. This is a chronic problem throughout the company! Leadership thinks "Ahh, that will never work so I am not doing that" and then three more things come down the pipeline that require the first step and you are stuck making TONS of changes to catch back up, and the team freaks out because you just changed everything at once.

I came in for a closing shift today. Food team not only did NO backstock, but no one has ordered since I last did it (I haven't worked since that day) and there were still several vehicles of push. Oh. And someone left a full green rack of perishables in the ambient room so I got to toss all of that. I've been working on backstock all day and I've barely made a dent. Luckily they made sure to schedule people to help me out! Oh wait. They didn't. People are already talking about quitting. Really loving this new food team.

Did I mention that I'm the only one who's trained in PFresh? Because I am.

/rantover

you needed better team building. i hope you reign down hell on those TL/LOD/ETLs who were in before you for leaving that mess for you. this market thing is cake.

excuse me, FIVE dairy pallets?! what god or devil or combo there of did you piss off?!

That is all fine and dandy until they roll out something else that builds on top of the changes they assumed you made. This is a chronic problem throughout the company! Leadership thinks "Ahh, that will never work so I am not doing that" and then three more things come down the pipeline that require the first step and you are stuck making TONS of changes to catch back up, and the team freaks out because you just changed everything at once.

ha! so true. you get an interwebs cookie.

Those of you with "market teams," how do you handle the McLane order? RDC freight can be broken down by aisle because it has pick labels, but McLane doesn't.

We get an FDC order every day. It's overwhelming when we have a fresh & frozen truck on top of dry grocery freight.

Every day?? We have enough problems with only 3 FDC trucks per week.

Those of you with "market teams," how do you handle the McLane order? RDC freight can be broken down by aisle because it has pick labels, but McLane doesn't.

We get everyday as well, but that also was a rollout for higher food volume stores last year. Many converted to an FDC everyday (when they were previously 4-5) because the FDC has an easier time filling it that way consistently AND it helps with things like freshness and productivity (same as an RDC, just let the truck fill the floor instead of the pulls).

We had a better unload. In part there were more experienced people on the line and we are figuring out how to stay out of each others way. Gonna need more boats tho.

excuse me, FIVE dairy pallets?! what god or devil or combo there of did you piss off?!
Yes it was hell but somehow someway we got it all done. Now Sunday we only received 2 dairy pallets and tomorrow Monday we will get 3 dairy pallets. Freezer always seems to be the same about 2 pallets, 170 to 220 pieces.

Is this new system rolling out to all stores? We haven't started anything yet in mine

Is this new system rolling out to all stores? We haven't started anything yet in mine
It seems like they just expanded the pilot for now. If they decide to proceed company-wide, it won't happen until next year at the earliest due to Q4 starting in a few weeks.

Our team never got training so the team is divided into sales floor and logistics or pushers and back stockers. when our pushers tried backstocking we made a lot of errors and our logistics team got really upset because we made a lot of errors and the team started dividing. Me, being the second in command(as a PA) when my CTL isn't here, I am running both of the trucks so to combat the conflict between the back stockers and pusher I spent an hour having a huddle with the back stockers training us, the pushers, and it helped a lot! What I will try to do is make a huddle like this every week or two so we can catch up and see where we need improvement, a lot of reasons why this roll out sucks is because communication poor. If communication is focused this roll out will be 10x easier! Make sure the food team has good communication!

Last edited:

I used to do like items first, M&M first, then Ghirardelli, then Lindt..etc. there are numbers on the boxes so I know which ones are the same "flavor". Dunno how to teach it to you since the number's loc is different for each brand. I think M&M's are located at the upper right and looks something like "12777937-00". So once I am done with one box and still have extra boxes of the same kind, I do monarch labels for all of the same kind. For example, if I am done with a twilight delight for Ghirardelli and still have boxes for that one, I would scan one on the shelf and create monarch labels for the rest of Twilight delight for backstock.

Then I also have a smart cart and put all the boxes for nuts at the bottom, boxes for the baking aisle at the middle and boxes for the peanut butter aisle at the top. When that cart is full, then I push it. Not efficient going back and forth between aisles for each boxes.

You will also get boxes for food ave and starbucks in the pallet. I gather those in a cart and give it to those teams once I am done with the whole McLane pallets (bec they are at the front of the store and the backroom and candy aisle are at the back). Only one or two people is enough to do McLane. Also do monarch labels for easy backstocking.

We get everyday as well, but that also was a rollout for higher food volume stores last year. Many converted to an FDC everyday (when they were previously 4-5) because the FDC has an easier time filling it that way consistently AND it helps with things like freshness and productivity (same as an RDC, just let the truck fill the floor instead of the pulls).
Exactly! Everything is literally truck to shelf. It works out nice, especially for produce & meat. I just wish we were able to order everything in meat & bakery. Constantly sending my supports to have OTL's adjusted is a pain

Going to have to wait a bit longer to see this rollout because right now the only difference I've seen so far is we now have a couple flow TMs dedicated to pushing consumables that now work full shifts and help the core pfresh team, who arrive later in the morning, with breaking down and pushing the pfresh truck.

Oh and we now have those stupid uboats that hold half of what the flatbeds hold...

Hey Everyone,

To no one's surprise, mine least of all, my store was not prepared for the market roll out that just began today. Now, I'm no stranger to rolling with the punches and adapting around here--let's face it, that's what we do here at Spot.

But when I mean there wasn't a plan, I MEAN THERE WAS NO FUCKING PLAN.

-no process for u-boats
-no other dedicated food TMs knew how to do the basics (pull, push, back-stock, research, create batches, etc.) NOTHING.
-Leadership at my store is a fucking joke. Straight up from the STL all the way down to the couple TLs we have.

It was up to me to not only do my my job that morning, but to also train the ENTIRE FUCKING TEAM HOW TO DO A,B, and C when, as a store, we should have been on X,Y,and Z processes.

And the fucking TL who was supposed to spearhead this whole operation is on vacation. NO chain of command. And the ETLs there aren't stepping up. This is abhorrent leadership, the worst I've ever seen in my entire life.

Just wondering if there are any other stores like ours that are experiencing a similar clusterfuck.

According to the company, the documented layout for roll out processes states that ALL DEDICATED FOOD TEAM MEMBERS SHOULD BE SCHEDULED TO BE TRAINED FOR THE ABOVE TASKS STARTING:

AUG 23rd.

Yeah, it's day 1.

If Spot really, and I mean really gave a shit about the stated 30% of sales that market allegedly constitutes, you'd think people would give a shit.
Well...instead of complaining, why aren't YOU stepping up and trying to make it work. If leadership isn't helping, if you know how to make to make it work (otherwise you wouldnt be complaining) than why don't you step the game up and take charge? Somebodies got to....right? I agree 100% with your complaints, im on your side. Ours is no different, i have yet to see anyone step up in market to make it work. I unfortunately have to sit back and ignore whats going on because im not on the team, were helping pull and backstock markets stuff however. Id love to take charge of something so sloppy and organize the crap. Our market team has yet to complete their pulls alone, backroom takes over..

The process should go like this...

1. One TM unloading freight off the truck in unison with flow team helping out

2. Two TMs pulling autos

3. Market TL doing morning routine away from the unload and autos

4. Once truck is unloaded, both TMs should be nearly complete pulling autos and market TL should be near complete doing morning routine

5. All TMs working unload and autos start pushing freight and their backstock put in 3 tiers (not on uboats!!) That eliminates the damn clutter of having 15 uboats full of backstock sitting everywhere.

6. Backstock the GM truck that was just unloaded and pushed

7. Two TMs head home for the day. This should be around the 3-4 hour mark by now...FDC truck unload begins.

8. FDC is worked and stocked

9. FDC backstocked, ELAs completed

10. Clock out.

Exactly! Everything is literally truck to shelf. It works out nice, especially for produce & meat. I just wish we were able to order everything in meat & bakery. Constantly sending my supports to have OTL's adjusted is a pain
Research your meat and bakery to make sure your on hands match. I have to constantly Qmos bakery that is not there. So it will come in on the next truck.

I'm surprised we haven't had this rollout. When we do its gonna be hell though. We only get 1 closer and 1 opener and for the pfresh trucks only 4 team members, and they always gives us newbies. We only get 24hrs a week so it might be a welcome change. You'd think they care more since we sell out but they take the hours and give them to other departments.

Our CTL has decided to unlocate all produce and just push all. I have my opinions about this, but am interested in yours.

Our CTL has decided to unlocate all produce and just push all. I have my opinions about this, but am interested in yours.
Mold. Mold everywhere.
All of our Deli stuff is unlocated and we regularly end up with expired product in the back.

Doesn't that cause issues with replenishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back