Archived Buying a game and returning it with a receipt from 2 weeks ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart621

Flow Driver
So I bought DBZ Xenoverse for PS4 last 02/27. This week They have the game for 30% off when you Preorder a game. Already planning to get BF Hardline so I might as well preorder it.

Now how much trouble will I get if I buy the game and then return it using the receipt from two weeks ago? Don't want to get in trouble for $16

????
You already bought a game at Target, but you want to exchange it for the same title or another game for the pre-order sale price?

What I mean is you can get a 30% discount on certain games if you preorder a game coming out in the future using the reservation cards.

are you saying buy a second copy with the reserve card and then return the game using the first full price receipt? I'm assuming this is a work around since you already opened your first copy of the game?

We do this for people at my store. Just ask your GSTL/GSA or your friendly guest service team member about it.

Those still at Guest Service. Is the copyright policy for media and software still in affect?

Sure all stores are not the same, but return fraud is return fraud.

Purchasing something and returning it with a receipt that is not the one it belongs to is fraud.

Purchasing something and returning it with a receipt that is not the one it belongs to is fraud.

Sounds BS to me. No fraud involved, basically a price adjustment. At my atore you wouldn't need to buy a second copy, I'd return the original, then resell it to you.

There's also never been any rule regarding copyright, just agreements with the manufacturers.

Serial #'s exist, videogames do not have them. It makes no differemce to Target or the publisher.

You can buy it then return it with the 1st receipt it wouldn't be a price adjustment because the price of the game is the same according to the ad and target.com it changes after you buy the reserve card

Honestly, I would just have a person bring in the receipt, return the game, resell it and add the reserve card, then give them back the difference in however they originally paid. Save everyone the trouble of having to go through buying a new one and returning it with the old receipt.

Honestly, I would just have a person bring in the receipt, return the game, resell it and add the reserve card, then give them back the difference in however they originally paid. Save everyone the trouble of having to go through buying a new one and returning it with the old receipt.

Aye, I don't even need you to bring in the game, jusr use the numbers on the receipt.

I didn't say bring in the game lol. I just said bring in the receipt.

It works no different than when a piece of furniture is missing pieces. We just have the guest bring in the receipt, return the piece of furniture as a defect, resell the new one (or just do an even exchange or whatever), give them the pieces they were missing, and slap the defective sticker on the box we took the pieces out of. That would be return fraud too according to @AllThingsTarget101's previous post, but it's not.

I didn't say bring in the game lol. I just said bring in the receipt.

It works no different than when a piece of furniture is missing pieces. We just have the guest bring in the receipt, return the piece of furniture as a defect, resell the new one (or just do an even exchange or whatever), give them the pieces they were missing, and slap the defective sticker on the box we took the pieces out of. That would be return fraud too according to @AllThingsTarget101's previous post, but it's not.

No it wouldn't, because that is being done to get the piece, not the sale price.

Same method though. They should be returning the defective unit with the original receipt, not defecting out a "new" unit with the original receipt. That's pretty much what you said.

You also said "return fraud is return fraud," so...

I agree with AllThingsTarget. If you think it might be fraud, it probably is. Ask your AP ETL. I'm sure if it passes his sniff test, then there'd be no problem.

As far as your furniture analogy, I see no comparison. We're saving the guest from hauling in a piece of furniture that's probably already put together. Giving them a replacement for a defective part is not the same as doing an out of date price adjustment for a team member.

i was more just talking the method of the return, not the return itself. Then I just started playing devil's advocate.

I still wouldn't classify it as return fraud though.

You may not, however, the law does.

Any Person who Willfully makes and subscribes any return which contains or is verified by a written declaration that is made under the penalties of perjury, and which he does not believe to be true and correct as to every material matter.

Paraphrase of federal law, if you know the material (the item being returned) is not true and correct (wrong receipt in this case) then it is fraud.

then that is the same thing as the furniture situation. They wouldn't be returning the one that the original receipt was for. They would still have the one they "returned" as defective.

But in the OP's situation, I don't see how they are defrauding the company. The company is not out any money that weren't already giving away anyway. If the OP hadn't opened the game and returned it, then that would be fine. If the OP for some reason hadn't opened the first copy and then bought a second copy and the reserve card to get 30% off, then returned the second copy with the first receipt, would you have a problem with that?

Now, if the OP already owned a defective copy and somehow knew it was defective without opening it, then bought a second copy and returned the defective one and got cash back...then yeah, that's fraud. The OP is not intending to profit.

I agree with AllThingsTarget. If you think it might be fraud, it probably is. Ask your AP ETL. I'm sure if it passes his sniff test, then there'd be no problem.

As far as your furniture analogy, I see no comparison. We're saving the guest from hauling in a piece of furniture that's probably already put together. Giving them a replacement for a defective part is not the same as doing an out of date price adjustment for a team member.

When @Leonhart621 asked about it wasn't yet two weeks after the original purchase, so even if it was a straight price adjustment...we could still do it, it wouldn't be out of date.

It's a big deal if you've opened it or not. If you didn't, you're good.

If you did, I'd say no. It's not just the game being discounted, it's a package deal basically.

You have two weeks to get a price adjustment if something goes on sale, not clearanced.

You can't return open video games, only exchange for the same one.

I personally, would let it go. If there is another game you can buy to take advantage of this deal, go for it.....but otherwise forget about it. We can't always score the best deals all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back