Archived Buying a smartphone at target

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna be buying an s7 this week and was wondering if smartphones are discounted like everything else at target (10% employee discount/5% redcard)? And would the carriers like At&t also match those discounts at their own stores?

I got my Galaxy S4 for free when I signed up for a 2-year contract. Just make sure the Target Mobile person knows what they're doing and has your best interests at heart.
I'm switching to Google Fi when my contract ends this year...
Edit for clarity: It was a promotion in the weekly ad.

Get there when you see one of the Mobile TLs is there and not one of the dumb regular Mobile TMs who will probably spend time on the phone with the carrier "trying" to figure it out until their TL returns to take over meanwhile killing 30 minutes of nothing. Some of the Mobile TMs are more like just electronics TMs rather than knowing about carriers and phone selling and signing people up.

Get there when you see one of the Mobile TLs is there and not one of the dumb regular Mobile TMs who will probably spend time on the phone with the carrier "trying" to figure it out until their TL returns to take over meanwhile killing 30 minutes of nothing. Some of the Mobile TMs are more like just electronics TMs rather than knowing about carriers and phone selling and signing people up.
I have heard from team members that have worked at other Targets with Mobile. They have said that the electronics team members often know more and could a better job if they could.

Out of our rotation I'd say two decent, one good, and a couple complete duds.

I believe you do get discount on service but not phone. Redcard may spooky to phone purchase. I'll ask my pog tm who bought his phone recently.

I'm gonna be buying an s7 this week and was wondering if smartphones are discounted like everything else at target (10% employee discount/5% redcard)? And would the carriers like At&t also match those discounts at their own stores?
I've gotten both the 10% and the 5% discounts the last 2 phones at got at target. AT&T will not match. Just like we won't match their promotions.

I bought the iPhone 6s the day it came out last year. Got 100 bucks for a trade in on my old phone got my 10 percent team member discount 5 percent red card discount plus a 15 percent cartwheel offer in Apple products paid like 40 bucks out of pocket for the phone

I bought the iPhone 6s the day it came out last year. Got 100 bucks for a trade in on my old phone got my 10 percent team member discount 5 percent red card discount plus a 15 percent cartwheel offer in Apple products paid like 40 bucks out of pocket for the phone
Plus 24 monthly payments for the phone.

hey y'all. what is the difference from going to Target mobile and AT&T? My provider is AT&T so I usually just go there to get phone upgrades. Is there any clear difference in terms of how much we pay/benefits? Also, I saw that there is a $150 gift card promotion for iPhone upgrades at Target which is why I'm feeling tempted to go there instead of AT&T. Thanks.

hey y'all. what is the difference from going to Target mobile and AT&T? My provider is AT&T so I usually just go there to get phone upgrades. Is there any clear difference in terms of how much we pay/benefits? Also, I saw that there is a $150 gift card promotion for iPhone upgrades at Target which is why I'm feeling tempted to go there instead of AT&T. Thanks.
There's no difference in the plans or their costs, no. AT&T/Verizon/Sprint offer discounts to TMs, and while that's maybe something Target Mobile could help you set up, you don't need to upgrade with Target Mobile to qualify.

The real difference is the deals on the phones, usually with gift card promos as you mentioned. Also if you do it with Target Mobile you can get the 5% REDcard savings on the out-of-pocket phone expenses (not sure if TM discount applies to contract phone purchases.)

thanks for the reply. I'm upgrading tomorrow and was deciding between the both. I'm going to choose Target bc of the gift card promo/benefits! thanks

I'm switching to Google Fi when my contract ends this year..
Former Fi user here.

Don't do it.

Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular are all equally terrible and the data is absurdly expensive unless you live on wifi.

Also, Google support is awful. I had an issue with my phone and it took forever to get resolved. I'd recommend Consumer or Tracfone over Fi.

Consumer and Tracfone are awful.

No, the phones are not going to be 10% off, but there should be a good gift card deal, and possibly the trade in deal will still be good. Plus I think the 28th is the last day to get the gear fit 2 or the 256 gb memory card, so you will still be good. And the accessories will be 10% off.

There's no difference in the plans or their costs, no. AT&T/Verizon/Sprint offer discounts to TMs, and while that's maybe something Target Mobile could help you set up, you don't need to upgrade with Target Mobile to qualify.

The real difference is the deals on the phones, usually with gift card promos as you mentioned. Also if you do it with Target Mobile you can get the 5% REDcard savings on the out-of-pocket phone expenses (not sure if TM discount applies to contract phone purchases.)

The 10% applies to non tax fees paid in store. So if you get Applecare, or you decide to put some extra money down, the tm discount will apply to that. Otherwise theres no difference in actual price, we just offer better guft cards and accessory deals.

Former Fi user here.

Don't do it.

Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular are all equally terrible and the data is absurdly expensive unless you live on wifi.

Also, Google support is awful. I had an issue with my phone and it took forever to get resolved. I'd recommend Consumer or Tracfone over Fi.

Consumer and Tracfone are awful.
My fiance is currently using Google Fi. He did have an issue two months in a row when the card he used to auto pay was replaced, but it got fixed. The only issue he's had in the year he's had Google Fi.
I'm mainly connected to my home wifi and will likely be hooked into the Target Guest wifi. I rarely call anyone and don't text often and when I do, it's generally from home. So, wifi. I've consistently used less than 2GB of data every month for the past 2 years... and have been paying ~$75/mo. for it. Never had to deal with AT&T's customer service.

What sort of issues did you have? Did you buy a phone from them or already have your own?

What sort of issues did you have? Did you buy a phone from them or already have your own?
I bought a Nexus 6P through them.

One of the biggest "features" it has is that it switches between the three carriers automatically depending on which one has the strongest signal at the time. There are apps you can get that track this.

In my area, T-Mobile isn't great, but it's miles ahead of Sprint and U.S. Fi often switched to Sprint automatically and even though I'd enter the dialer code to switch back, it would automatically put me right back on Sprint. Texts wouldnt send, calls sounded terrible, data was slow.

Maybe it was just my area, but I didn't have a good time with it at all.

I bought a Nexus 6P through them.

One of the biggest "features" it has is that it switches between the three carriers automatically depending on which one has the strongest signal at the time. There are apps you can get that track this.

In my area, T-Mobile isn't great, but it's miles ahead of Sprint and U.S. Fi often switched to Sprint automatically and even though I'd enter the dialer code to switch back, it would automatically put me right back on Sprint. Texts wouldnt send, calls sounded terrible, data was slow.

Maybe it was just my area, but I didn't have a good time with it at all.
Interesting... Thanks for replying! Considering the area I live in, I don't think I'll have the same issues you've had, but we'll see. I'm going to try it and see what happens.

Interesting... Thanks for replying! Considering the area I live in, I don't think I'll have the same issues you've had, but we'll see. I'm going to try it and see what happens.
Good luck to you. I do live in a smaller college town/city/thing, so if you live somewhere bigger your experience will probably be better.

With the iPhone 7 coming soon, can anyone say if the 10% TM and 5% redcard discounts will apply when actually purchasing the phone? Apple is indicating that you can get it at a subsidized price of $199 from Sprint and Verizon (with a 2 yr contract) and it would be a no-brainer to go that route if I can get my 10% + 5% discounts on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back