Archived Bye Bye MAX FSTL.... Hello MY TIME........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you did it Target. I did not think it was possible but, you did it. We stopped in a store last night so we could grab a couple of things we needed. It was an hour and a half before close and the store was busy. On the sales floor I saw one person in electronics and one other person. One cashier was working as we walked in with a big line. The store was a mess. We got what we needed and of course my wife added a bunch of stuff we did not need to cart. She was not happy that nothing seemed to be in the right place and I had to keep using the price scanner. As we headed up front the cashier had been joined by the one person we saw on the floor and another person. And the lines were ten deep at least at each register. The people in line were getting upset and asking them to open up more registers. One of them responded their was nobody else right now. One family pushed their cart aside and walked out. That started a chain reaction where half the people in line did the same. And the to my suprise my wife said, forget it we will go across the street ( to Walmart a place she hates). We left and my wife said if we are going to shop in a crappy store we might as well save some money. I think the Target a place she once loved and spent way to much money in several times a week, has over the last few years made her want to shop there less and less. And now she might be completely done. Hmmm well it saves me money anyway.

In a semi related note, the more I interview elsewhere, the more people react sympathetically when they talk to me about working for Target. So sad.

People react sympathetically all around when I've mentioned that I used to work for Target. I had my appointment to re-certify my childcare assistance (have to redo it whenever changing employers) and when I mentioned how I was working for Target, but had to seek elsewhere, she was like.. "Ahhh yes I understand completely" I'm sure they have many other clients that have had the same issue, as there are 5 Target stores located in the area this particular agency services. It's sad because I miss a lot about it.

My local walmart is actually dope, tbh. It's never messy, and when it is, it is never at the level of mess that the target I work in gets to. They've stepped it up. And they have a ton of people on the floor who don't bother me with constant can I help you questions. They're visible enough that if I needed help, I can ask, but I never need help. Sure, a lot of people enjoy when we offer help, but we don't even have people on the floor lol, so who's even offering?

On the zone thing, I think you should have it nice for flow. They already put everything in the wrong place and chronically over push (I pulled double digits of cinnamon toast crunch off a shelf during our team market 4x4 last week) when things are zoned. It's even worse when the zone is incomplete.

My biggest question is, with lower hours, when are we supposed to do the zone if not in the evening? During the day, everyone in SL is either pushing pulls/clearance, running returns, doing POGs, or running up for backup. If the zone doesn't get done in the evening, chances are that it won't get done at all. All that will happen is that the floor gets picked up and, if we're lucky, most of the tables folded (but not actually sorted, much less zoned to POG). We might get an OK zone done three times a week, and that's only if the people scheduled show up for those 4 hour shifts. But this has been a problem for a while. I can't remember the last time I actually zoned and sized a rack except when I had nothing to do in the fitting room.

My biggest question is, with lower hours, when are we supposed to do the zone if not in the evening? During the day, everyone in SL is either pushing pulls/clearance, running returns, doing POGs, or running up for backup. If the zone doesn't get done in the evening, chances are that it won't get done at all. All that will happen is that the floor gets picked up and, if we're lucky, most of the tables folded (but not actually sorted, much less zoned to POG). We might get an OK zone done three times a week, and that's only if the people scheduled show up for those 4 hour shifts. But this has been a problem for a while. I can't remember the last time I actually zoned and sized a rack except when I had nothing to do in the fitting room.

@Softlines Ninja at my store, pushing clearance was put on the Pricing team, and Backroom has "pushers" and "pullers" the only thing salesfloor has to do now are abandons and zone. Its still alot, but they do abandons for the first few hours of the morning and then zone and help guests mid-day. All POGs and Adjacencies should be falling under POG hours very soon for AE 2014 as well.. (my SL TL still insists on doing them herself but she should be scheduled POG for those projects)

I was told by a etl who was leaving the company...that the 4x4 was pretty much being used to get the zone done on the floor without using as many sales floor hours to do it . Ie, when you do the 4x4 all work centers zone etc. so in a perfect world it gets done faster etc. Also, if the 4x4 is being held in a certain area and there is a lot of clearance to be pushed we are expected to push that as part of the 4x4 as well. Of course this may vary somewhat from store to store

@Softlines Ninja at my store, pushing clearance was put on the Pricing team, and Backroom has "pushers" and "pullers" the only thing salesfloor has to do now are abandons and zone. Its still alot, but they do abandons for the first few hours of the morning and then zone and help guests mid-day. All POGs and Adjacencies should be falling under POG hours very soon for AE 2014 as well.. (my SL TL still insists on doing them herself but she should be scheduled POG for those projects)
We'll see how my store handles that. At my store, all that the SL Brand TMs seem to do is POGs and adjacencies, unless they're closing. Then they lead the closing zone. We had one Brand TM quit recently because she got so few hours and was expected to complete quite a few POGs that week (including ones left over from the previous week) and zone her areas to completion every day she worked. I hope it's just growing pains and everything sorts out quickly.

My store is a my time scheduling nightmare, currently we are understaffed by at least 5 on the salesfloor, and 4/5 more in softlines which is a revolving door of team members they stay a few weeks and then you see a few new faces. BTS, no one adjusted for the fact that the suburban schools started a week before the city schools and we have been busy with maybe 1 cashier and sometimes no opening cashier on Sunday. some one gets pulled from the floor and one less person doing the ad. BTS is really taking a toll on the team, you don't have time to complete your zone, maybe some reshop, add that our peak/power hour is 12-1, where we have the most coverage but when people get off work or school has gotten out, closing is a constant parade to the register for backup. You usually get stopped by multiple guests who need help, while the GSTL is steadily calling for backup and you LOD is calling everyone for backup. I forgot about the double digit pulls that are on the line. We have everybody mad at everybody flow is mad at closing team for not getting any work done, closing sales floor team is mad at dayside for not doing anything, closing sales floor is mad at flow for all the abandon pallets, flats and cages on the floor.
Saturdays we are expected to close with 3on the salesfloor, 2 cashiers, and 2 in softlines but we are a tier-C store where we are busiest on Weekends.

This BTS has been a struggle among overworked and understaffed team members, we get pulled to do so many things, that we cant complete our actual work in our work center lately. Our hr-etl was on an extended leave and the 8 people who were hired in May, didnt start until July, 6 already fired or quit. Electronics is basically just rotate someone to the boat because two of the team members are on leave and the other just got tired and asked for a schedule change. Team morale being low is massive understatement, when no one is making the needed adjustments on the schedule for shifts. Your team will be burnt out by halloween.

What really sucks is even when myTime has a decent schedule, call ins on the front lanes and the sales floor makes for another day of fast, no fun and not friendly... I just want to turn around and leave when I come in and see more sales floor TM on the lanes for "fast service" than actual cashiers.... I work at a Super Target.. or is it a Super Duper Target... we do $200K some days...

I know a lot of you experience this and some probably even worse but it's still frustrating. Working 48 hours over 6 straight days but no OT for you because the random establishing of a "week."
I miss CA labor laws......

Shame that Target doesn't use CA law for all states.

I'm glad they don't, actually. That whole "anything over 8 hours is overtime" would kill my average hours. I can't tell you how often I pick up extra hours by working an extra two or six hours in a day.

I know a lot of you experience this and some probably even worse but it's still frustrating. Working 48 hours over 6 straight days but no OT for you because the random establishing of a "week."
I miss CA labor laws......

Shame that Target doesn't use CA law for all states.

I'm glad they don't, actually. That whole "anything over 8 hours is overtime" would kill my average hours. I can't tell you how often I pick up extra hours by working an extra two or six hours in a day.

But hopefully since they couldn't work people six day weeks there would be more hours to go around.
Maybe.

Probably not...they would just have to hire more people, because there would be less of us to call in for those of us who don't mind working that 6th day. So that would just result in more employees and less hours to go around. They never schedule us for 6 days on purpose...a lot of us just pick up that 6th day on the swap board or from call offs just to get the extra hours.

Overtime law is federally mandated. And I don't know any TLs who don't work six days straight every other week. If you get every other weekend off and one fixed day during the week, I think it's impossible not to work 6 days straight.

"The federal overtime provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 40 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay. There is no limit in the Act on the number of hours employees aged 16 and older may work in any workweek. The Act does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime is worked on such days.

The Act applies on a workweek basis. An employee's workweek is a fixed and regularly recurring period of 168 hours — seven consecutive 24-hour periods. It need not coincide with the calendar week, but may begin on any day and at any hour of the day. Different workweeks may be established for different employees or groups of employees. Averaging of hours over two or more weeks is not permitted. Normally, overtime pay earned in a particular workweek must be paid on the regular pay day for the pay period in which the wages were earned."

Yesterday we had 2 cashiers, 2 HL TMs, 2 Market TMs (one pretty new and left at like 10), an electronics TM, and maybe 3 SLs TMs and an operator at closing. We are AA+. Nothing got done in hardlines. Pfresh was perfect because I did it but there was only like 2 aisles done in dry. It was a mess. I know Wednesdays are a slower day of the week but still, the store should not look like that at all.

A few years ago that would be the staff of a D volume, not AA+.

That sounds like what we would have had in my D volume store as recently as last year. I couldn't imagine running a AA+ volume store on that.

I felt like I spent the whole night yesterday trying to STOP my coworker from bashing the need assistance button when she had +1 in her line. The ones that came up then ended up getting stuck forever, and it wasn't needed and they just are to nice to jump back off (I have no clue where the GSTL kept disappearing too - he would have had them off but wasn't up there). UGH.

Completely sympathetic to the OVERuse of the button, even now. My apologies to the rest of the floor - but thanks for responding.

Our store is trashed right now.... we need warm bodies and are just making/missing sales. 2-3 weeks out could SUCK bad.

^ that post is breaking my mind brain.

I'm a TL. I have the same day off every week and work every other weekend. So starting on a Monday after my weekend off, I work: 3 on, 1 off, 6 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off. No matter what your normal off day is during the week, you will always end up working six days straight as long as you are working every other weekend with the same day off during the week each week.

Wait, my brain is broken. I was only thinking of the week with no weekend going into the one with and not the other one.

I deleted it by mistake. Whoops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday's my time fiasco, consisted of despite it being peak week of back to school, the store was even more shorthanded than usual. It was two cashiers, 3 on salesfloor, electronics and 2 in softlines and the GSA, who watches the line and call code one seemingly endlessly during bts. We are a tier C store, busiest on weekends. My LOD asks why wasnt I on the register during the first 90 minutes of my shift, since I was the only on the sales floor trying to replenish some empty shelves of back to college items and going to receiving to pull some items for guests. I was asked questions by 5 people at once, and constant guest questions. It included a guest asking about makeup where another team member found me and said guest need assistance on the makeup aisle. I am man who has no clue about what foundation or base and called for a female team member and got no response from none of them. There was no response about a vaccum, I was trying to zone A and I was called directly to take care of it. There was a revolving door to the checklane, Im the one that covers the electronics lunch which is always 40/45 minutes because the other 2 team members hate the boat and just wont do it and the guy in grocery claims he doesnt know how to cashier to avoid the boat and code ones.

Maybe if we left together instead of the STL sends cashiers, softlines home maybe 15 minutes after close, but keeps hardlines an hour an half after close to finish up what we couldnt get done due to code ones. We may have had a few hours to call in some extra hands. You fire 3 people in two days in softlines by telling them before their shift that theyre no longer needed and then expect them to clock in and work. The consensus from everyone on the floor was they worked hard and ran to the code ones. A day where those 2/3 people who run for code one would have definitely made a difference. You can only do so much in a 5.5 hour shift, and spend 4 hours doing everything but your assigned tasks. I wonder can you modify the schedule in My Time, because a few tweaks could have made it a little easier on everyone.

At my store for closing, everyone stays until we are all ready to go even the cashiers have to stay to do reshop. I keep telling my LOD's that I wish I could clone myself to be able to handle the pulls, the zone, the reshop, and the kazillion calls for fast service.. it really gets frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back