Archived Can a reserve deputy be an ETL-AP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcardroy

ETL-AP
I'm really interested in becoming a reserve deputy for a TX police agency while also [hopefully] working at TGT as an ETL-AP. A reserve deputy is strictly a volunteer position, minimum 20 hours a month. While I would be a fully comissioned police officer, I cannot act in the capacity of a police officer when I'm off duty. Does anyone know if this volunteering activity would be problematic with my work as an ETL-AP? Should I even disclose this?

It's not my name. I really wish I could change the username, wasn't too creative when I first made my account a few years ago :/

Ok. I just thought with wanting to become an ETL and having your name and city on your page, it would be easy to have someone connect the dots. And if you want a name change, just ask a mod.

Ok. I just thought with wanting to become an ETL and having your name and city on your page, it would be easy to have someone connect the dots. And if you want a name change, just ask a mod.

Location isnt my actual location either haha. I guess I figured I'd like to mess with whoever tried to look me up.

If you're currently in AP, I would double check directives. I thought there was something about no other jobs that require you to arrest people, in addition to the no paid LE jobs.

Without getting into specifics I can tell you being any sort of sworn law enforcement officer (full time, part time, reserve/volunteer) is against directives. It's a direct conflict of interest.

Military service is a different ball game though. We have a couple of people on my AP team that are in the reserves.

Without getting into specifics I can tell you being any sort of sworn law enforcement officer (full time, part time, reserve/volunteer) is against directives. It's a direct conflict of interest.

Military service is a different ball game though. We have a couple of people on my AP team that are in the reserves.

Spot on, the US government wouldn't take too kindly to any one discouraging service

We have people in the army reserves with the same situation and they are etls. They're high up in the reserves, so required more, but still manage with etl. It's honestly probably asants but in our district it's fine.

We have people in the army reserves with the same situation and they are etls. They're high up in the reserves, so required more, but still manage with etl. It's honestly probably asants but in our district it's fine.
We have an etl-hr still officially on loa I believe due to her reserve active duty... she still is listed on the store fact page although it's been over a year.

Spot on, the US government wouldn't take too kindly to any one discouraging service
Sworn law enforcement officers have the responsibility to act in certain situations that normal civilians would not have to. Those situations in some cases would directly conflict with Target's policies (I.e. Don't approach a subject with a weapon). While I agree that the US government wouldn't take kindly to it, the truth is military service members don't necessarily have those same responsibilities while away from active duty.

This is correct. It is not possible to be sworn law enforcement and AP. Being in the military is fine, even Military Police.

There are other retailers that hire off duty cops to be their LP/Security. Maybe look into that.

As others have mentioned correctly, you cannot be any form of sworn law enforcement and AP at the same time. It's against Target policy.

Sworn law enforcement officers have the responsibility to act in certain situations that normal civilians would not have to. Those situations in some cases would directly conflict with Target's policies (I.e. Don't approach a subject with a weapon). While I agree that the US government wouldn't take kindly to it, the truth is military service members don't necessarily have those same responsibilities while away from active duty.

In Texas, it's against the law for a reserve deputy to act in a law enforcement capacity off duty unless it's on an extra job that isn't security related. So the responsibility to act for a full timer is not the same as a reservist when they aren't on duty or an approved extra job. If I observe someone shoplifting (or breaking any other law for that matter) off duty, I'm under no obligation to apprehend them as a reservist, whereas on duty, I have an obligation to make arrests in certain situations. I could be wrong on this, so please excuse me if I am, but this is the impression I've gotten after talking to some leos here.

A real world example I can think of that's maybe more pertinent is someone being in possession of a booster bag whilst shoplifting. That's a felony in TX and an officer would have to arrest. However, an off duty reservist doesn't have to arrest because they aren't working in a law enforcement capacity as an etl-ap.

In Texas, it's against the law for a reserve deputy to act in a law enforcement capacity off duty unless it's on an extra job that isn't security related. So the responsibility to act for a full timer is not the same as a reservist when they aren't on duty or an approved extra job. If I observe someone shoplifting (or breaking any other law for that matter) off duty, I'm under no obligation to apprehend them as a reservist, whereas on duty, I have an obligation to make arrests in certain situations. I could be wrong on this, so please excuse me if I am, but this is the impression I've gotten after talking to some leos here.

A real world example I can think of that's maybe more pertinent is someone being in possession of a booster bag whilst shoplifting. That's a felony in TX and an officer would have to arrest. However, an off duty reservist doesn't have to arrest because they aren't working in a law enforcement capacity as an etl-ap.

Target is pretty quirky with their policies. They usually apply laws from the strictest states to all of their stores, regardless of local laws. A good comparison would be timeclock laws. My state doesn't even require employers to give us breaks or have an unpaid lunch, but because of other states (California comes to mind), we are forced to follow that company wide policy for breaks.

While your state may preclude you from taking action while off duty, some other states may (most likely) don't. To make things simple for the company they are going to apply their policies to all stores. Simply put, they're covering their ass. It's easier (and cheaper) to have a blanket policy than to keep up on individual state and local laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back