Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

I live in a state that rarely gets super cold. This week Tuesday is 25 and Wednesday will be 18. I’m not looking forward to doing drive up. I had to order some warm clothes from Amazon. Got any tips for super cold?

Layer up with stuff you can zip and unzip.
Lightweight leggings or underwear.

Get some Hot Hands. They really help especially since gloves are almost impossible to use w the zebras. Layers. Wear a hoodie bc it works as a hat too. I live in a state that gets cold but this subzero -10 stuff is unusual.
And come by Starbucks for some hot chocolate! :)

I live in a state that rarely gets super cold. This week Tuesday is 25 and Wednesday will be 18. I’m not looking forward to doing drive up. I had to order some warm clothes from Amazon. Got any tips for super cold?
If it's only going to drop to 25, or 18, just put on a coat. Only running out for a minute or 2...no need to zip it up either.

No more ability to give out gift cards to "make it right". I had someone tonight that had to wait 15+ minutes for their drive up and then had to come in because they were missing a bag that was still on the pick up shelf. I apologized and offered to give him a $5 gift card. Apparently service tm's no longer have that ability because it was being abused. Which is fine but I wish I had known because I wouldn't have offered.

No more ability to give out gift cards to "make it right". I had someone tonight that had to wait 15+ minutes for their drive up and then had to come in because they were missing a bag that was still on the pick up shelf. I apologized and offered to give him a $5 gift card. Apparently service tm's no longer have that ability because it was being abused. Which is fine but I wish I had known because I wouldn't have offered.
For sure. Don't offer gift cards to guests. Instead apologize to the guest for the inconvenience. If the guest insists then call a leader and let them handle it. Even as a leader I don't even let the guest know that a gift card is an option and very rarely use it.

Don't lie to guests but also don't clue them in that return overrides or gift cards can be done. As little information as possible to the guest.

9/10 a simple apology suffices and you can also let them know they can share their experience with the leadership team by survey or request to speak to a leader in store or over the phone.

^^ My TL gives gift cards out like candy. None of the GSTMs ever did...only when trying to make it right for missed circle opportunities or times when the sign clearly said they should be receiving a GC but the system was wrong.

So really my TL will keep doing what they are doing and it's not a problem?

We had a 10 minute d up wait time today and no leader was available to issue a gift card . Sorry wasn't enough when the guest saw 3-4 cars come and go before we got to them. Starbucks back up was brutal.

9/10 a simple apology suffices and you can also let them know they can share their experience with the leadership team by survey or request to speak to a leader in store or over the phone.
One thing I learned from a past food job, is that they told me to ask the guest what they would like you to do to make it better. Most people just want to rant and explain the situation to you, and only on some occasions, ask you to remake the food. If you immediately offered to remake the food every time, you might be doing more than what the guest actually wanted.

I feel like this is the same with gift cards. If you immediately give a gift card every time, you might have possibly done too much, when showing the guest you were listening, and an apology would have sufficed.

Anyone hearing about corporate cutting back on the hours that SCO is open to have more belted lanes open? What could possibly go wrong.
There's so many days where we'll have nobody but the SCO attendant for the first 2 hours of the day. And at night if there's a callout or two same until close. This could not possibly go RIGHT

We only have four and 2 can't take cash lol
The cash input slots for our SCO are the same size.

The SCO at my Kroger have a small vertical slot for change and large horizontal one for cash.

The Kroger ones have been there at least five years longer than my Target's too.

Last edited:
They started keeping SCO closed in the mornings now & it has turned into an absolute shitshow.
We only have 1-2 cashiers anyway so the lines pile up quick, they call for back-up (usually apparel responds), STILL not enough so they call for MORE back-up & it takes forever to work thru a pissed off bunch of guests.
Target always puts the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

So Target refers to SCO as two different SCOs. NCR SCO and Next Gen self checkout AKA ELO SCO (elo sco is a stupid name lol).

Before Target made the name ELO SCO I made up the name NGSCO. Next Gen SCO.

with that said my store was one of the first to get NGSCOs in the company. and the first like year was TERRIBLE. literally 11/13 of the NGSCOs had some form of cash device issue.

With that said, once they work well they’re quite nice.

I HOPE they fixed a lot of the issues before chainwide deployment.

Note for any SE TL / ETL reading this. If the tech comes there like, more than 4 times, just ask them to replace the part.

This tech literally came for a fucking YEAR and couldn’t figure it out. and our SE TL just said pls just replace the damn unit giving you an issue. and they did.

Note for any SE TL / ETL reading this. If the tech comes there like, more than 4 times, just ask them to replace the part.
that's rich, it takes them weeks to get a tech out. Then they fix it, it breaks again, and we have to wait another few months to get someone out. I think the PM or whatever he's called just isn't doing his job. I've heard tell he claims he's saving the store money

I was told the reason they are shutting down at 9:00 PM was because of theft.

I not sure when they open SCO in the morning.

Back