Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

I am SD trained and I won't take a return at a check lane unless I have no line. Even then, it's usually because GS is backed up and I'm trying to lighten their load a bit but can't actually go up to back up. A large part of my reticence is, as LT said, not wanting guests to become accustomed to that being an option. I make it very clear whenever I perform any normally-GS function (return, price match to T.com or competition, fix a mistake, etc) that I'm able to do this for them only because of my training and that most of our cashiers do not have the appropriate training.

Someone returns a shirt with the tag attached. Do you look to make sure the brand on the neck tag or the neck printing matches the tag? Do you check the description on the tag to see if it visually goes with the shirt? Do you check to see if the size of the shirt matches the size on the tag? Do you check to see if there's any stains, deodorant marks or tears/split seams that the guest is not telling you about that would make reselling not possible and necessitate defecting out? Do you check the areas that tend to rub like under the arms to see if it's an older shirt rather than a newly bought shirt? If it's a matching outfit like a sleepwear set, do you do all that and then check the top and bottom to make sure they are both the same size? Do you compare the dpci's on both tags?

Returning an item with the tag attached seems like it would be simple, but if you don't do all that then you could be accepting a fraudulent return. Now think from that mindset, there's only a few people accepting returns now, so repeated fraudulent returns could be easily spotted. When everyone's doing returns, it seems like it would be easier to bring stuff in a lot more often and the risk of getting caught would get a lot lower.
Nope, I'm not doing all of that because corporate has decided that one person and one person alone should be handling returns and order pickups for a $75M/year volume store while making sure all clothing is hung and guests aren't waiting.

So no. We don't do that anymore.

I’ll check tags and general condition but if there are unmentioned tears, rub marks, signs that it’s been washed and who else knows what, that’s Softline’s job to figure out and put in the defect bin.

Defective offline slips will still print at the checklanes. Bring the slip to a guest service POS ago finish the process. 90% of returns could easily be handled at the checklanes no problem.

However, that causes the guest to wait in line twice, something corporate is trying to avoid.

That clearly is the strategy in my store. Everyone is now getting the opportunity to learn. I like it. Then again, I am older, and AGEISM exists. Any structure that allows me to show merit is good. What bothers me is that I can't crosstrain in other areas. My thinking is simple
If I can sell redcards, then I can sell bluejeans! Our hours were whacked badly on front end. Give us a shot elsewhere!

However, that causes the guest to wait in line twice, something corporate is trying to avoid.

No, it doesn’t. The offline slip doesn’t affect the return whatsoever. A team member simply needs to bring it over to Guest Services after the return.

No, I'm not going to spend 20 minutes examining one item. Perhaps that's why your returns aren't very quick? If the item they have is the item on their receipt, that's all that matters. People who work at Guest Service need to remember that they are not AP.

Nope, I'm not doing all of that because corporate has decided that one person and one person alone should be handling returns and order pickups for a $75M/year volume store while making sure all clothing is hung and guests aren't waiting.

So no. We don't do that anymore.

I’ll check tags and general condition but if there are unmentioned tears, rub marks, signs that it’s been washed and who else knows what, that’s Softline’s job to figure out and put in the defect bin.

So you all believe that if a tag is attached, just scan, give back money and send the person on the way, and who cares if that means you gave back money for an item that's only going to have the tag removed and sent back as an empty package/stolen item and the article of clothing tossed in the trash? After all, it's not your personal money so you have no reason to bother reducing shrinkage, nor any reason to make it easier for AP to identify a scammer.

That's a really great attitude, not your money so not even a token effort to stop theft. And that's the attitude you feel should be passed on to the cashiers who are going to be making $15? That attitude, I hope all they do is scan and bag, at least they will give away less free money.

But isn't it all our responsibility to reduce shrinkage? Including GS? If they aren't going to look for the common fraud things, then they might as well open the cash drawer and give away $20s to the guests.

It's not my responsibility or YOUR responsibility to act as AP. Assuming best intentions is part of working at Guest Services, so is making it right for the guest and attempting EVERY return.
And how is AP going to know unless it's brought to their attention?

I never said I don't make sure the tags match. I said if on first inspection, the garment looks ok and the tags match, I will process the return. Am I going to be nitpicky on its condition as you mentioned I should be? No. If Softlines finds something to be more wrong with the item, then they can give it back to me to defect. I'm not seeing the problem here. And we never empty package a partial set of pajamas or what have you. That is a defect, not an empty package.

Target has already allowed the whole "rent-a-garment" thing by allowing returns without tags attached or corresponding receipts so no one here is really going rogue with the way they are handling these.

You really don't see an issue with someone getting a Mossimo Black/WWW/Knox Rose item that is $35, taking it home, removing the tag, attaching the tag to a $3 clearance item or a shirt they've had for 4 years, and then getting that $35 back while also keeping the $35 item because GS can't be bothered with verifying that the tag and the item go together?

You really don't see an issue with someone getting a Mossimo Black/WWW/Knox Rose item that is $35, taking it home, removing the tag, attaching the tag to a $3 clearance item or a shirt they've had for 4 years, and then getting that $35 back while also keeping the $35 item because GS can't be bothered with verifying that the tag and the item go together?

I'd really hate to work at your store if you're so paranoid that every guest is out to scam you.

Well I hate that it happens. But it does. Just like how a bunch of clearance clothes will be left at the fitting room with no tags. Just like how I've found piles of socks with no tags and some expensive tags nearby. Just like every time a bunch of folded shirts get moved around there's tags that don't match the shirts under them and small empty boxes from elsewhere in the store. Thieves aren't rare, some are simply sneakier than others, and looking for that instead of assuming unicorn and rainbows means that more will be stopped because they aren't sneaky enough for extra scrutiny. AP can't work in a vacuum, we all need to "guest service" the thieves away or alert AP to something suspicious so they know when and where to look to verify or rule out.

It’s a delicate tightrope to walk on. Corporations hate losing money, but they also hate negative publicity, which is guaranteed to happen if they order GS to treat everyone like a thief. Secondary to this is that a lot of people actually are shady and the no good ones make things more difficult for honest people in the long run. If I worked at GS I would try to strike a balance between attempting every return while keeping a sharp eye out for obvious fraud. I don’t see myself as responsible for guarding the profits of a huge corporation, but on the other hand I also don’t like being made a fool of by some shithead who swapped tags and gets away with a free item or 10. It makes you wish there was a trapdoor in front of GS that you could yank open under a fraudster so that they drop down into a holding cell.

That doesn’t sound like a GS/returns issue as much as it sounds like a “softlines needs to be more aware” issue.

That doesn’t sound like a GS/returns issue as much as it sounds like a “softlines needs to be more aware” issue.
A good part of it is GS. There is zero reason why I should pull something out of a cart of reshop, turn the tag so I can see the size for a hanger and know right at that second it's a swapped tag. Tag says "orange" but the item is black. Tag has been partially defaced (clue to take a closer look). Tag and size in neck/waist don't match. Simple crap, but it happens.

And yes, with all the other problem items that are found everywhere, it's clear as day that thieves aren't occasional, they're unfortunately pretty common. @Anelmi to be more aware we'd have to have enough staff to have eyes on every table and every peg and every 4 way at every second. They certainly aren't doing it in front of us, we're just finding the evidence after they are gone. It just shows how many bad people there are that there's such a huge amount of stuff found.

Shoutout to the lady who called corporate on us for not refunding her open air mattress “the signs saying no returns weren’t up last night” like sure Susan we took them down last night and put them up again this morning

Shoutout to the lady who called corporate on us for not refunding her open air mattress “the signs saying no returns weren’t up last night” like sure Susan we took them down last night and put them up again this morning
My store has thrown that policy out the window. If it doesn’t force an exchange then we have to give them a refund :/

A little while ago I sold an air mattress to a guy (cashed him out), told him while ringing him that he couldn’t return it if it was open, then went to cover a break at guest service and he just went right to the service desk to return it

My store has thrown that policy out the window. If it doesn’t force an exchange then we have to give them a refund :/

A little while ago I sold an air mattress to a guy (cashed him out), told him while ringing him that he couldn’t return it if it was open, then went to cover a break at guest service and he just went right to the service desk to return it
That’s insane. It specifically says in the policy open airbeds can not be returned. This is the same policy at Walmart REI and literally every store that says airbeds. It may even be federal law but idk about that.

So he returned it 15 or 30 minutes later?
Doesn't seem like he would have used it in that short of time frame.

Back