Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Illinois law is you must be at least 18 to sell liquor. My town ordinance amends that to 21 to sell, and 19 to serve (in a restaurant or bar).

Most frequently asked LEGAL questions - About - https://www2.illinois.gov/ilcc/about/Pages/FAQs-legal.aspx
Q: What is the minimum age to sell/serve alcoholic liquor and can minors enter a bar?
A: Both answers are subject to local jurisdictional ordinances, but, at a minimum, the seller/server must be at least 18 years of age. A minor is not allowed to sell/serve alcoholic liquor. Illinois Liquor Control Commission Rules & Regulations (Section 100.10) define a "minor" as a person under 18 years of age (per an Illinois Attorney General opinion in 1973). However, the Illinois Liquor Control Act (235 ILCS 5/6-16, 235 ILCS 5/6-16.2, and ILCS 5/4-1) allows local jurisdictional control over this matter as well as the age allowed to enter a bar/tavern (restaurants that serve alcohol are exempt from this law). ...... Other municipalities have ordinances specifying different ages for the selling, serving, pouring, drawing, and/or opening of alcoholic beverages. ..... One state law that cannot be changed, however, is the legal drinking age of 21.
(sentences irrelevant to the immediate discussion have been removed)

I've never had an under-21 GSTL. I had one under-21 GSA, and frankly, I had the same complaint there. In fact, it was even more annoying when I closed with her, because I frequently was the only adult in the front on those nights, and was expected to run a lane AND handle absolutely every single alcohol transaction. I'm reasonably certain that guests were submitting negative surveys (because they told me they were going to do so) regarding having management that couldn't assist with alcohol sales - underage cashier would flash light, E would go over, discover it was alcohol, and have to call me over from the middle of another transaction.

So are you proposing that there should be zero hiring of people under 21? No hiring kids under 18 who are at a good age to learn work ethic? No hiring 18-20 year olds who may be on their own and needing to support themselves? Just starve until you are 21?

Your desire to ban anyone under 21 from working is not right. You desire to keep people working there for potentially years from advancing in management at the same rate as people who started there at an older age is blatant ageism. Seriously, you could have a 16 year old kid that is an awesome worker and has great people skills and can see the big picture and could be a great manager at the age of 19, but you think he should be passed over for someone who's been there only a year but is 25.

I think the point is more that the people doing the schedule need to be aware of the limitations of the staff who are minors and make sure there are enough people to cover.
Nobody resents the fact that they can't process the transactions just that there are not enough people in the store to keep the stress levels at something approaching humane.

Commie says it much better than I did. I am absolutely not saying that nobody under 21 should ever be hired. I am asking for awareness of and planning for those issues that come as a result of age restrictions. And that isn't happening at my store.

Maybe this is ASANTS, but usually, when GSA/GSTL has to step away for any reason, the person at the service desk is the one to watch over the front end. We don't typically have someone speed weaving. And more often, I'm seeing that SCO is not being attended the way it used to be. Either the dedicated person is also zoning Bullseye, pulling reshop from the lanes, and fulfilling various other maintenance-type tasks, or there is no dedicated person scheduled, which leaves GSTL/GSA/SD and/or whoever is working at the end register closest to SCO to deal with any guest needs there. When NONE of these people are old enough to ring out alcohol sales, or those who are of age aren't free to address those needs, it affects our guests.

And yes, I do recognize that there are plenty of under-21s who are plenty capable of running the service desk.

This discussion makes me kinda grateful for the MN law that you have to have a separate entrance, and therefore separate staff, for liquor stores.

That used to be the case in MN, but I think Costco got that law loosened up so they could be attached to a grocery store, as long as they have a separate entrance.

There's a recently remodeled Super near me that has their liquor department as a store-in-store. I would LOVE this. And I would happily work in that department, even though I don't imbibe myself.

There's a recently remodeled Super near me that has their liquor department as a store-in-store. I would LOVE this. And I would happily work in that department, even though I don't imbibe myself.
I’ve been in a couple targets like this... it just looks super nice too.

PSA: check your SCO receipts now and see if they’re faded/streaky. A couple at my store were so we called them in. It makes it difficult to do returns as the barcode won’t scan and numbers are hard to read. Call them in now before Q4. Try cleaning with a pen first, but most times it doesn’t do anything.

Also, don’t let the NCR tech leave without making sure it’s actually fixed...

PSA: check your SCO receipts now and see if they’re faded/streaky. A couple at my store were so we called them in. It makes it difficult to do returns as the barcode won’t scan and numbers are hard to read. Call them in now before Q4. Try cleaning with a pen first, but most times it doesn’t do anything.

Also, don’t let the NCR tech leave without making sure it’s actually fixed...
They’re pretty easy to clean with an alcohol wipe and 80% of the time it works. Your PMT is supposed to be doing a quarterly or monthly sweep checking the quality of your SCO printers

They’re pretty easy to clean with an alcohol wipe and 80% of the time it works. Your PMT is supposed to be doing a quarterly or monthly sweep checking the quality of your SCO printers
Alcohol wipes should be tried, at my store some of them were so bad cleaning didn’t do anything. According to the tech over time the thermal bar wears out

Alcohol wipes should be tried, at my store some of them were so bad cleaning didn’t do anything. According to the tech over time the thermal bar wears out
Idk in the two years I’ve been up front I haven’t had to replace any, just regular cleaning. They’re different than the registers and require more regular upkeep than your typical one.

Idk in the two years I’ve been up front I haven’t had to replace any, just regular cleaning. They’re different than the registers and require more regular upkeep than your typical one.
Well, regardless, make sure you're (everyone) checking the quality of printers and calling that and everything else in BEFORE q4. make sure all the security keys are working, lane lights, belts etc.

Well, regardless, make sure you're (everyone) checking the quality of printers and calling that and everything else in BEFORE q4. make sure all the security keys are working, lane lights, belts etc.
Yeah you typically wanna start using your odd registers after BTS and use them a lot. At my store we have a couple registers that are never used but after back to school I start to use them religiously to make sure they are good to go.

A CSC tech I spoke to said there are whispers of POS getting completely rewritten soon. She had nothing more on it, so take it with a grain of salt.

I was thinking about it and the one thing the current POS does well if nothing else is that you can hit buttons before the screen loads. Like today I scanned an ID scanned the item k3 total k1 scanned the merch card before the return items screen had even loaded but it still worked fine

Q: if a guest buys a high-value electronic item with a serial number, and they lose their receipt, can the purchase be looked up using said serial number?

I've always wondered since I know Walmart can do this (I didn't work at the service desk there although I did check out electronics returns before they accepted them since I worked in electronics). A customer bought an Xbox that had a fucked up HDMI output and showed lines on their TV, and they tested another console on it to make sure it wasn't the TV itself or the cable before they brought it back. Since the serial number is unique to the item and it was scanned and stored at time of purchase, service desk was able to look up purchase date, the store it was purchased at, and even see who rang them out (ME!).

Back