Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

Q: if a guest buys a high-value electronic item with a serial number, and they lose their receipt, can the purchase be looked up using said serial number?

I've always wondered since I know Walmart can do this (I didn't work at the service desk there although I did check out electronics returns before they accepted them since I worked in electronics). A customer bought an Xbox that had a fucked up HDMI output and showed lines on their TV, and they tested another console on it to make sure it wasn't the TV itself or the cable before they brought it back. Since the serial number is unique to the item and it was scanned and stored at time of purchase, service desk was able to look up purchase date, the store it was purchased at, and even see who rang them out (ME!).

Yes but it has to be done at a computer on InsidePOS, it can’t be done at a register

I mean you literally have the receipt and proof that it was purchased. As long as it’s within the return policy why not make it right for the guest?
Isn't the limit for changing something $20? A high priced item, the difference between lowest selling price and purchase price could very well be far more than $20.

I mean you literally have the receipt and proof that it was purchased. As long as it’s within the return policy why not make it right for the guest?
What they print out I always tell the guest cannot be accepted for returns. Plus if they have that they’re more than likely gonna have the card they bought t on

I think that a lot of people here get so caught up in “policy” that they forget that that making it right for the guest is our ultimate policy.
Then why have policies and guidelines? I am all for making it right for the guest within certain parameters. We bend over backwards to make it right, however, we don't need to be pushed over by a guest abusing our policies.

Then why have policies and guidelines? I am all for making it right for the guest within certain parameters. We bend over backwards to make it right, however, we don't need to be pushed over by a guest abusing our policies.

By your posts here on TBR, you seem to assume that every guest is out to scam you. If stopping scammers interferes with a legitimate guest, you’re providing a bad guest experience. It is better for 100 scammers to get returns than to turn away 1 guest who needs flexibility from us.

By your posts here on TBR, you seem to assume that every guest is out to scam you. If stopping scammers interferes with a legitimate guest, you’re providing a bad guest experience. It is better for 100 scammers to get returns than to turn away 1 guest who needs flexibility from us.
No, I do not assume that every guest is out to scam me, those are your words. I have worked at guest service long enough to know certain scams and how to shut them down. I have never interfered with a legitimate guest. I spend my day by making it right for the guest. However, there are those who come into the store to rip us off, those are not guests.

This is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and these dollars aren't coming out of your bank account or pocket. No one said open the cash register and give them all of the money.
This. I will always look up a receipt for a guest and change the price upward to make it right and honestly a lot of time I’ll override it to their form of payment as long as it wasn’t a debit card. Not my money not my problem. Let AP do their job.

Last edited:
This is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and these dollars aren't coming out of your bank account or pocket. No one said open the cash register and give them all of the money.

Exactly. At my previous job my DL always reminded us that on average a customer gives us X amount of dollars of business per year. So do we really want to throw away all that money in the future over a fairly insignificant amount today? It’s not my business. I will attempt every return and make it right for the guest until told otherwise.

But not every guest is a scammer, I'd be hella offended if this shit was pulled on me or on my family. All bc a by the book tight ass Gstm doesn't want to make it right

But not every guest is a scammer, I'd be hella offended if this shit was pulled on me or on my family. All bc a by the book tight ass Gstm doesn't want to make it right

A good GSTM/GSA/GSTL needs to have a sense of nuance and not see everything as a black or white situation. At least try. Look up the receipt with their card. Use their ID. Listen to what the guest is saying. Use every tool available to make it right. You will never get in trouble for trying, following the POS prompts, calling for help when you feel uncomfortable, or making a decision based on the information you had on hand. If you can speak to it, you’ll be OK.

If AP prints out a receipt for a guest or the guest has some sort of proof of purchase then we make it right for them, even if we can’t go through the system the way it’s “supposed” to be done (scanning a receipt and giving them back the recommended payment method and price). We’ve had a SCO that was broken and wouldn’t print out receipts at all and the GSA kept letting people use cash on it and then having AP print out the receipts for them. It was a stupid thing to do in all honesty instead of shutting it down or only letting people use cards and letting them know they wouldn’t have a receipt, but why even give the guest the option to have AP print out a receipt if we’re not going to try and make it right for them when they do a return? If you’re already having AP print out a receipt then they’ll (hopefully) verify that this was actually the person who made the purchase. We’re not out to get innocent people with defective items just because they don’t have a receipt, if we can verify the purchase.

I always say how much I love saying no, but I honestly enjoy saying yes and going above and beyond for someone much more. Catching a scammer is very satisfying in my opinion, but unless it’s obviously something I can deny, I’ll do it or at least check with a GSTL. I still think there has to be some caution or suspicion up at the service desk, but until you can absolutely prove it or reasonably deny, every guest gets the same treatment from me.

Having an issue with a newer GS TM lately. I am at a highest AP threat level store, and we get a ton of return scammers. This newsish TM has taken ur upon themselves to deny a guest a cash refund for a return unless the original payment method was in cash. No cash refund for debit cards. When a guest doesn’t have their card with them or asks if they can have cash, the TM tells them no, you can either get it back on the card or get a gift card, even if the cash option is staring them in the face. We were not instructed by AP to do this, I give cash refunds on a daily basis. Tried talking to my GSTL, but nothing has happened. Anyone else had a guest service TM who was overly paranoid or did stuff like this?

If I suspect something is a scam then I’ll be more crafty about it and try not to give the person cash. It’s not like we are running out of cash, either, I’ve literally never had to request bills at guest service

Last edited:
There’s a TM at my store like that too. If it’s a high dollar return they want in cash, she’ll ask to see the card just to verify they actually have it. If someone has like 10 different receipts that all have different debit card numbers on them (obvious receipt shoppers), the only options she’ll give are back on the card(s) or gift card. It stresses me out that she does this just because I feel like she doesn’t have the authority to question or deny the guest like that, especially just being in a TM role, but she hasn’t gotten in trouble yet soo

My store requires US govt issued ID for order pick-up and for all age-restricted purchases. No Canadian, Mexican, consular, etc. Must be a state ID, drivers license or US passport.

We hold items until the close of the next business day, except for the Christmas holiday. Then there are no holds for anyone or any length of time. Except for those couple TLs who think they're above policies....
This is interesting.
I worked as director of hospitality for a hotel a decade ago so I can honestly say its 50-50. Its given me a keen eye on who is.
As for your statement, '. If stopping scammers interferes with a legitimate guest...' Stopping scammers will NEVER interfer with a legitimate guest because a honest person won't think to ask thinks and will understand when you say no because of theft or crime

Today I had a guest mavel when I said I had to unlock the room we kept the TVs in because we cant keep them on the floor because of theft. Then I pointed at a nearby fire door. He nodded, suddenly realizing why.
The only way you give bad guest service is if you say no at the beginning without an explanation.

Actually, yes they are. In the form of less money that translates into less hours. While I agree that we aren't ap and need to give guest want the want if it is possible, there is a point when you don't stay, fuck it! Target can afford it.
No, I do not assume that every guest is out to scam me, those are your words. I have worked at guest service long enough to know certain scams and how to shut them down. I have never interfered with a legitimate guest. I spend my day by making it right for the guest. However, there are those who come into the store to rip us off, those are not guests.
This is true.

There’s a TM at my store like that too. If it’s a high dollar return they want in cash, she’ll ask to see the card just to verify they actually have it. If someone has like 10 different receipts that all have different debit card numbers on them (obvious receipt shoppers), the only options she’ll give are back on the card(s) or gift card. It stresses me out that she does this just because I feel like she doesn’t have the authority to question or deny the guest like that, especially just being in a TM role, but she hasn’t gotten in trouble yet soo
There is no need to discipline said TM. Why? Because it usually is a scam. When an ATM close or in store, there isn't a real reason for cash. Yes, people ask for it and fine if the system says yes then good, especially if you paid for in cash.

If you bought a $1000 tv with 10 $100s and want to return 2 days later and the cash back? As long as I have the receipt and the TV (and preferably the box) you got it. Credit or debit, I want to see if you are the person to bought it. If you are, then you shouldn't care.

Thats why high value cash returns are a red flag.

Back