Service & Engagement Can I speak to a manager?: A front end thread

So as I said in another thread I do not present cash as an option for debit refunds. I only give it if they specifically ask.
I do not do this.

Interactions with me go like this
$20 back on the card ending in 1234
I don’t have the card
Ok! I can put it on a GC for you?
*if they say yes, GC. otherwise...*
Can I have the cash?
Sure!

$20 cash is not the same as $120. Based on everything I've read from you and your GS practices, I'm not sure you would give out the $120 in cash quite so readily.

Once a debit has cleared, then it's cash. That's why the cash option is provided.
I find that hard to believe it's the same, since a debit card charge can be disputed like a credit card charge even after the charge has been processed by the bank. So cash back, followed by disputed charge...Target may or may not win that one and the guest could double dip the return.

The system tells you. If cash is on your screen, the store policy is spelled out. If you are denying cash when the system allows it, then you are violating store policy.
story policy and corporate policy are not the same thing. Store policy can be majority wrong in the case of John Barrowman and get mgmt fired. Corporate policy how ever flawed is something we all have to follow if we wish to stay employed.

eh i don’t love giving cash back constantly, but i always offer to “credit the debit, cash back, or a giftcard.” unless it is a clear multiple debit cards/ receipt looks like it’s been runover in the parking lot, i’m not gonna fight it. we offer the option and i honestly think it’s better to just give them the cash rather than offend or make someone mad/ annoyed.

My store doesn't offer cash as a refund ("Okay, it'll be $x going back on the card you paid with, or I can put it on a gift card for you") and if they specifically ask for it, they have to be able to show the card. Most accept the gift card since they're usually shopping after their return anyway.

The system tells you. If cash is on your screen, the store policy is spelled out. If you are denying cash when the system allows it, then you are violating store policy.
No. we do not accept fake coupons. If you scan an obviously fake coupon and POS accepts it because the guest is good at photoshop, that doesn’t mean we HAVE to accept it. Same thing here. Just because POS allows something doesn’t mean we have to do it.

No. we do not accept fake coupons. If you scan an obviously fake coupon and POS accepts it because the guest is good at photoshop, that doesn’t mean we HAVE to accept it. Same thing here. Just because POS allows something doesn’t mean we have to do it.

If you work in my store you do. We even accept internet printed coupons when they all have the same serial number. How's that for guest (scammer) service?

Last edited:
also pro tip (at least it works for me): if the guest has a crappy receipt like clearly picked from a parking lot (or my fav: multiples from the same day all with a different debit card and completely different times of day) i try to scan it, but “can’t.” i claim it’s too faded and offer to do a debit card lookup. i apologize a bunch and a lot of times they leave and just dump the merch on their way out or as i stall we get ap to review everything and get them trying to leave with merch.

only in very obvious cases i stall though. i would quit if i ever did that to an actual guest tbh.

So today the GSTL paged 2 up for backup and after a couple minutes of crickets one of the ETLs said on the walkie "Can someone respond to the guests first call please?????" and then finally a couple of softlines chicks said "Me and (name) are coming up" and the ETL said "Team let's be better at responding promptly to guest first!!!" and someone said "Leadership let's be better at scheduling and coverage!!!" FUCKING LMAO!!!!! Goes without saying that whoever that was probably got roasted in the office later, I lolled so hard tho

So today the GSTL paged 2 up for backup and after a couple minutes of crickets one of the ETLs said on the walkie "Can someone respond to the guests first call please?????" and then finally a couple of softlines chicks said "Me and (name) are coming up" and the ETL said "Team let's be better at responding promptly to guest first!!!" and someone said "Leadership let's be better at scheduling and coverage!!!" FUCKING LMAO!!!!! Goes without saying that whoever that was probably got roasted in the office later, I lolled so hard tho
Today my new ETL-HR was getting register “trained” by another ETL and I was very loudly like “wow, this is the first time I’ve ever seen any ETL actually use a register!” and she looked so confused

Our policy is to attempt every return. It does not say “do any return POS lets you”.
While I agree with you, you just 100% percent contradicted yourself.... if you attempted every return according to you the POS would allow most returns so you’re arguing with yourself

While I agree with you, you just 100% percent contradicted yourself.... if you attempted every return according to you the POS would allow most returns so you’re arguing with yourself
No.... our policy says attempt. It does not, on purpose, define attempt beyond “scanning the receipt”

I think the other part that is ignored is that if someone returns without a receipt and the item is not new in a condition that could be sold than the system will not allow an ID return. The only way to "make it work"- which we are told to do is to say there is nothing wrong with the return and then defect it out. That is actually circumventing the POS as it is supposed to work.

Back