Archived Can Target fire you for having a second job???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store is very accommodating when it comes to second jobs. We have a couple GSAs and plenty of tms with more than one job. When I started at Spot, I already had another job and made it clear that that job was my priority (it was full time and I had my insurance through it). So, no, its absolutely NOT ok to fire a tm for having a second job. It's not Target's business what you do when you are off the clock.

That's really what happened? You got another job, it didn't overlap your Target availability at all, didn't cause you to miss shifts or be late, or in any possible way affect your job at Target?

There is no company policy that says that and your leadership team is graded on TM retention, so it makes no sense for them to make up a bogus rule that would intentionally hurt themselves.

If you're past your ninety days, than no. Does anyone know if there's a course of action one can take against this? Genuinely curious as I'm sure is the OP.

If you're past your ninety days, than no. Does anyone know if there's a course of action one can take against this? Genuinely curious as I'm sure is the OP.
File for unemployment? Not sure how that works if you already have another job though.

Also, how did they even find out you had a second job? If you or even someone else tells them, that's the notification right there...

There could attendance issues by the op. We need some more details.
Yeah it honestly sounds more like the OP was denied an availability change and started missing shifts to work the other job.

Im gonna call, BS on the OP otherwise really crappy leadership. I sat in the breakroom today at listened to an ETL ask another team member about their second job. They want her to work more but obviously Target doesn't pay her bills.

My vmtl had a second job....so it's not a thing unless it's a problem. Lots of the team has another job. Some of them are on their last chance with scheduling conflicts and attendance last minute.

Were you doing one of those things where the second job was actually at the same Target and you just said you were your identical twin? While that IS the American dream, I've always faltered on it because of the Social Security Number! Can never figure out how to swing that one!

Actually Target can fire you if they find out you work for a competitor store. At least that was policy four years ago in orientation. Example of this would be Walmart.... u can't work at both because target thinks you will share information regarding sales and secrets. Now some ETLS do not force this rule tho... example my ETL Logs knows that one of his fulfillment team members works at Amazon which is a competitor. He told the tm not to tell anyone cause he doesn't want her to get in trouble and he doesn't want to get in trouble either

You may have other issues, and the second job was just an easy way to give you the boot. Like others suggested, maybe you called out, were late often, or have other attendance/performance issues (that you may or may not have been talked to about previously) but PDDs and coachings take time. This could have been the quick and dirty way to get rid of you.

I was there over a year. I have never been late. I rarely had a call in. Apparently your only allowed to work a fast food job while working at Target is what I was told by a LOD. I know 2 employees I worked with that work at other clothing stores.

You need to notify your store that you have a second job to ensure them that there is no conflict of interest or schedule.

My (now former) store didn't have any issues when I worked at Toys R Us as a second job. I ran Price Accuracy in the morning for Target and worked logistics at night for TRU. Many peers, ETLs, and the STL were happy with the additional knowledge I had from working at TRU so that I could answer questions guests had about certain toys, especially during the holiday season.

I don't agree that target and amazon are competitors. The two have very little in common. You can't really compare a discount big box store like target to a website like amazon that sells everything.

I don't agree that target and amazon are competitors. The two have very little in common. You can't really compare a discount big box store like target to a website like amazon that sells everything.

Agree, especially since they kissed and made up and we sell the Kindle now.

Wal Mart I would get. Fred Meyers or KMart. Meh maybe. But amazon, toys r us. Nah thats not even an ethical issue.

The ethical issue is Target not paying enough or giving consistent enough hours for TMs to have to get a second job.

I disagree. With the whole push for more online sales Amazon is a pretty big competitor for Target now.

As for can they legally fire you, depends. In S ome states employers don't have to give any reason to fire you. Obviously Target has their own policies/procedures that go above this (coachings, probation periods, etc.). But if you were working for a competitor it's pretty much fair game in almost every state.

I asked about it and the only thing Target's worried about is making sure there's not a conflict of interest.
For example, I was told that it was fine for me to work another security type job as long as it's not loss prevention or anything else I would be making physical arrests. And the only issue I had when I got my job at my college's PD as a Community Service Officer was during my background investigation, my investigator couldn't get a straight answer out of Target about any employee file on me, which he wasn't happy about.

Last edited:
I work with a lot of people with second jobs. It's not in Target's best interest to terminate part-time employees that work another job because Target doesn't pay enough or give out enough hours. Target also doesn't pay benefits to part-timers and when hours get cut they don't have to trim the fat when part-timers are already working so few hours. In fact, Target relies on part-timers for their staffing needs.

With that said, if Target was your primary job before accepting another position through a different company they may view it as a conflict of interest if your schedule overlaps with theirs. I don't think they can legally fire you because you got another job so this sounds like there's more going on than what you're telling us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back