Archived Can you use your discount with food stamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did they take it away? I bought some stuff at self checkout and used my discount card. If went through. I had to ask because I don't want to get in trouble.

I assume they took it away because the food stamps weren't cash or tied to Target (Redcard/giftcard) but they were shamed into taking them again.
If you don't pay your employees enough that they have to take public assistance you had best accept it.

Is there a written policy on this in case a cashier that doesn't know tries to tell me I can't? Did the registers used to reject the discount with your EBT card before?

Is there a written policy on this in case a cashier that doesn't know tries to tell me I can't? Did the registers used to reject the discount with your EBT card before?
I would tell them, let's try & see what happens. Then, report the cashier to the gstl or gsa, if it works.
like anything they just go off what they know. i have a lot of team members trying to use debit/credit cards with their discount and surprised it didn't work. i doubt they're shaming , just they heard redcard/cash/giftcard. i doubt they know checks work too

I know checks work because we have one Pharmacy TM that always uses a check + discount, otherwise I wouldn't likely know, don't think I was told they work when hired.

IMAG2087.jpg I found the answer!!! :)

Last edited:
The no WIC was the only unexpected thing there for me as well. My store doesn't accept WIC, but supposedly we will begin doing so sometime next year, so , good to know.

Well WIC is too restricted. They want you to buy the junk on EBT so you get sick and then in turn get your fix it pills from our Pharmacies haha.

You can now buy Monster on Food Stamps. Smh...

Well WIC is too restricted. They want you to buy the junk on EBT so you get sick and then in turn get your fix it pills from our Pharmacies haha.

Even people on food stamps are entitled to a treat now & then, aren't they? Whether it be Monster or some other treats they or their kids might want, it's fine with me IF they aren't spending all the money on junk.

I know plenty of people abuse the system but I don't want to become so callous that I stop having empathy for people who are struggling through no fault of their own.

I just want to add, I don't think that's what you meant. I was just speaking in general terms.

Even people on food stamps are entitled to a treat now & then, aren't they? Whether it be Monster or some other treats they or their kids might want, it's fine with me IF they aren't spending all the money on junk.

I know plenty of people abuse the system but I don't want to become so callous that I stop having empathy for people who are struggling through no fault of their own.

I just want to add, I don't think that's what you meant. I was just speaking in general terms.

Hey I'm on food stamps. I don't spend all my money on junk. But I do enjoy some. I used to be a shift supervisor at a gas station. ALOT of people spend it all on junk.

After I was hit by a car, I had to go on food stamps.
First off I'll tell you they don't give you enough to feed your family even with careful shopping, at least not where I'm living.

I knew when they did the meat markdowns and would go to the store then.
So I was buying sirloin but it was for the same price as hamburger.
The would have a markdown section with cans and boxes of even fancy food that was cheaper than the regular food.
I'm sure if someone was standing in line behind me they could look at the food I was putting on belt and make all kinds of judgments.

They really don't. Which is why ppl send their money on junk. It's all they can afford. I think it's about being momentarily satisfied instead of long term health. Big pharmaceutical always wins. But anyway yea most of the time they were the ones buying cigs on ebt.

So update...I went to the lady who gave me problems before. I told her we can use it with food stamps. That its in the policy now. And she makes a call and goes on and on about how they had told her snd other cashiers tht if they rang up a transaction using both the ebt and discount they'd be fired...

Now here's what I'm thinking....maybe they meant the cash portion? I mean I don't get cash anymore but are you not supposed to pair them together?

Anyway they told her multiple times yes and she finally rang it all up. But damn did she make it a huge deal. I wouldn't let her tell me no, that's when she got on the phone....

So update...I went to the lady who gave me problems before. I told her we can use it with food stamps. That its in the policy now. And she makes a call and goes on and on about how they had told her snd other cashiers tht if they rang up a transaction using both the ebt and discount they'd be fired...

Now here's what I'm thinking....maybe they meant the cash portion? I mean I don't get cash anymore but are you not supposed to pair them together?

Anyway they told her multiple times yes and she finally rang it all up. But damn did she make it a huge deal. I wouldn't let her tell me no, that's when she got on the phone....
This is bull. Any store that treats you like this for foodstamps could get in big trouble. Not as much as for wic, but you can't single out someone using food stamps either.

I can't remember wic and discount usage and my notes are in the car. We just started last year.

Exactly. I'm just sitting there like really??? I guess I can understand her not wanting to lose her job but I ring myself at self check out all the time with my discount card and food stamps. And surprise I'm still here. Of course I checked out ehr first. And I told her that, but of course I'm just another TM so she didn't listen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back