Archived Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a new Hardlines TL asked me today if they (I assume ETL's) asked me about becoming a captain. This would be in toys. What would that entail? I've only been at Spot since October. Nobody has actually formally asked me if I was interested, nor given any in depth details/job description, besides researching outs, zoning/reshop.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Is this something I should say yes to?

I assume no raise or anything else, just whenever I am scheduled, focus on those things?

I assume no raise or anything else, just whenever I am scheduled, focus on those things?

Yeah it's a good thing, unfortunately it is a lot more responsibility with no incentive.

The best case scenario is you do really good as a captain get offered to be a brand tm (25 cent raise). Brand TM is typically a good stepping stone to a TL position for those who want it.

Raise? lol

And you'll focus on toys for about two weeks. Then toys and backups.

Then toys, backups, and hey, can you set salesplanners in electronics.

Then toys, backups, salesplanners, and call buttons in market.

Etc, etc.

Would it possibly mean more and/or more steady hours? (times and or amount of) at least? Or not, probabaly stay the same as its been for me? I must add, nothing is official, just a tm who was just promoted to being a TL, said she put my name out there for consideration. None of the higher ups has actually approached me about it formally yet.

At my store it mostly means 'walkie-carrier of a particular department' but occasionally it comes paired with a side of unwarranted superiority complex.

But really, it's nothing more than being a dedicated TM of a department. No raise, no better hours, no authority over other TMs. But with stores rolling out End to End, you might as well say yes if you're happy working that department because most everyone (in LOG and SF) is gonna end up a dedicated TM somewhere eventually.

Would it possibly mean more and/or more steady hours? (times and or amount of) at least? Or not, probabaly stay the same as its been for me? I must add, nothing is official, just a tm who was just promoted to being a TL, said she put my name out there for consideration. None of the higher ups has actually approached me about it formally yet.

It really depends. At my store we have a cosmetics brand tm at all hours during peak busy times so their hours are pretty consistent but for our shoes, jewelry and toys brand it seems to vary.

keep-calm-and-just-say-no-10.png

Don't do it. You'll be their pawn. We had a br captain before that was just a micromanaging tool. TLs game him directions to give to other tms

It is also a good way to see if someone is worthy of a TL role some day.
You can do that without a fake title though.

Edit: In fact, it would be better without it, because leadership won't have an excuse to justify your extra responsibilities by saying you're a "captain" and you're doing what's expected.

Last edited:
It is also a good way to see if someone is worthy of a TL role some day.

That's what the brand positions are for.

Captain is to take advantage of people who work hard but aren't deemed worthy monetary raise.

HRZone, can you explain that a bit more? I mean, I may not even be good at being a captain...hasn't happened yet.

Raise? lol

And you'll focus on toys for about two weeks. Then toys and backups.

Then toys, backups, and hey, can you set salesplanners in electronics.

Then toys, backups, salesplanners, and call buttons in market.

Etc, etc.
HRZone, can you explain that a bit more? I mean, I may not even be good at being a captain...hasn't happened yet.

If you played sports, it is like a "Tryout", for your self-esteem (lol). (I was never a "Captain" of anything, but I have been a Brand TM maybe higher depends how you view PA and Signing). It is more of a way for them to place more responsibility (think about this hard) and to have someone THEY can hold accountable when something doesn't go right, without paying you more.

If I were you I would counter their "Captain" with inquiring about a Brand position, and that instead of being a "Captain" you would like to learn more overall about the process, maybe cross train etc. In order to make yourself more valuable to Target. Not only can you get more hours this way, but in a pinch if you are cross trained you can make yourself the hero of any TL/ETL.

If you are asked to be a captain then they are noticing you and your work. Even though you may not see a raise if you are thinking long term in target it will payoff! Hours equal $$$ and if you are being trained to do all of the above before "End t0 End team" comes about then you may/might even be put on the "bench" for TL or even SrTL. Many people that work for Spot come into Spot act like showing up to work is a reward, however what they fail to realize is if they are unhappy they can easily look for another job (why be somewhere were you unhappy?).

PaRaD0x if you enjoy what you are doing and they look at you for "Owning" a certain area it's because you are being noticed. I have seen so many team members that performed great go from regular TM to SrTL just based off performance. Remember while you might not see a raise in the beginning all those that are asking/begging for hours when hours are cut will envy you as you continue to get hours and continue to move up within Spot! There is nothing wrong with taking pride in what we do. Just my 2 cents :)

Keep in mind, you can get this exact same thing with Cross-training, but less responsibility around what others do.

THIS. I am quite global in my store, definitely one of if not the global-est. Leadership is always trying to get me to be zone captain at night (they don't call it that, but thats what it is) and I flat out told my TLs I am not interested and that I just want to be responsible for me. They weren't happy and still try to get me to "run the show" so to speak, but I'm only worried about myself. I'll just enjoy not being confined to one specific workcenter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back