Archived Cart Attendant Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting this week, our cart attendants found out that they would be totally cut from the schedule for the next 2 weeks. Not a cut of hours but totally removed from the schedule after they have been made. I guess there was way too much spending at our store/district and which lead to this decision from district. We have four cart attendants and I know at least 2 of them have rent and other bills to pay. I would love to know how they made the decision that cart attendants have no need to make money.

hard to believe they would cut cart attendants in a store unless you are ULV and the ETL can run out and grab them or another SFTM. i know hours are tight everywhere but man... can't imagine not having a CA

If I was one of those CAs I would be in the HR-TL office and just sit there until they found me some hours in a different department.
It's one thing to say, hey we have decided to cut this department to save hours, it's another to make it impossible for someone to pay their bills.
There are no hours for folks in plano right after Black Friday but any decent store will find them things to do in other departments you don't just say "See you later."
That's seriously repugnant behavior.

It does seem insane to just completely cut the CAs. It wont last long though, once they really realize what all they're going to have to do without the CAs, I'm sure they'll find the hours somewhere.

It was 14 degrees when we left our Atlanta-area store tonight. The scheduled cart attendant called out sick tonight and they couldn't get ANYONE to come in and cover it. There were at least a hundred carts left outside overnight.

Dependable CAs aren't easy to come by, and there can't be many people in the south who are insane enough to work for minimum wage in that weather. If your store abuses the CAs that badly, the deserve whatever repercussions they get.

The last two weeks and for the forcible future CA is starting at 2:30 and off at 8:30. So not a full cut but run out of carts by noon and on the weekends out of cats by 10:30.

It was 14 degrees when we left our Atlanta-area store tonight. The scheduled cart attendant called out sick tonight and they couldn't get ANYONE to come in and cover it. There were at least a hundred carts left outside overnight.

Dependable CAs aren't easy to come by, and there can't be many people in the south who are insane enough to work for minimum wage in that weather. If your store abuses the CAs that badly, the deserve whatever repercussions they get.
In my experience, Cart Attendants here in hot-as-hell-summer land get bribed with food and Starbucks a lot, plus we have a couple ETLs/TLs who make sure they have plenty of bottled water. It helps, but not a ton.

Edit: They get cold-weather accessories and Starbucks and food in the winter, too.

At our store our cart attendant hours got cut as well - they only close now. Any cart attendants scheduled during the day are scheduled as cashiers, but are expected to be both cashier and cart attendant.

Carts are insanely expensive. Stores should have other team members outside collecting carts.

I've done it, but thankfully our climate is typically mild. Can't imagine going out in the extreme cold.

Carts are insanely expensive. Stores should have other team members outside collecting carts.
I've done it, but thankfully our climate is typically mild. Can't imagine going out in the extreme cold.

We have been doing cart chasing at 10:45pm by taking everyone off the floor, except electronics & the 1 or 2 cashiers closing.

Spot is stupid to cut the cart attendent's hours,

Somebody is in an office somewhere - working their exempt 40 hours a week, and crunching numbers. 1800 stores cutting 20 (?) hours a week can save a lot of money. Oh, and while we are at it, cut another 50 hours from this team, and 40 from that team.

[number crunching exec] : Pats self on back for making Target profitable: while being short sighted and actually hurting the Target image/brand, and killing morale for those in the trenches.

Cutting cart attendant hours is a recipe for failure and disaster. Some people say it's easy but the cart attendant is basically the baby sitter of carts and the cart pusher machine. Tough stuff. And when that person isn't in the building, the impact is felt instantly. It's like the guy that removes boxes off the assembly line at a factory. If that person isn't doing that, it will cause a big mess.

We haven't had cart attendant hours since the first of the year. None. Not one single shift. All of our cart attendants get cashier hours outside of November and December. If we don't have any cart attendants scheduled to cashier that day (most days it seems) then the LOD abs GSTL/GSA spend quite a bit of time in the lot.

with all the hours being cut for TMs id love to see the ETLs and TLs get their hours cuts.... that would be funny (I know that sounds awful but I don't care) let the big shots know what it is like to live pay check to pay check

Aren't ETLs exempt? I thought that was the level that worked 60 hour weeks while getting paid 40.

TLs can be cut down to 32. Rarely have I seen it though.

ETLs are salary so there is nothing to cut there.

Target wants people to do their grocery shopping there & is too stupid ..... too greedy..... to follow the lead of successful grocery stores who make SURE their parking lots aren't full of carts that crash into parked cars or take up valuable parking space. And they make SURE customers have shopping carts available so they don't have to limit themselves to a few things they can carry.

Nothing says class like a parking lot full of abandoned carts & nowhere to park because the carts are blocking the spots!

Our cart attendants often leave at 9:30 instead of 10, but we still have shifts for them. In fact, they're trying to hire more right now because we only have two people that mainly do carts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back