Archived Cashier Speed Foolishness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im actually happy spot is trying to get cashiers to ring quicker. At my store they are so slow, we are always in back up. Back in my cashier days i averaged a 95% speed score, and ki was under 21 in a store that sells booze. I honestly can't understand how we got to this point.

I kept track one day to see which transactions would lower my score. Every single one was due to a guest. High percentage of them were due to the card readers and the guest not using them properly. Then if the guest didn't use them properly I would have to reset the card reader. The others were guest counting out their change.

Wish I could like this more than once.
Honestly, I hope the fact they have raised the wages mean they can have a better pick of
Im actually happy spot is trying to get cashiers to ring quicker. At my store they are so slow, we are always in back up. Back in my cashier days i averaged a 95% speed score, and ki was under 21 in a store that sells booze. I honestly can't understand how we got to this point.

I can't tell you how many times I would have the conversation with the LOD at the beginning of my shift that would go, "I don't have fast cashiers tonight, so I'm likely going to need help with back up."

You're right...all it is doing is gaming the system to do it that way...especially suspending transactions. It actually slows things down, but then the transaction doesn't count in the speed score...and that's all that matters...the appearance you are going faster...not that you actually are.

And then you also have those times where reloading a suspended transaction freezes the register, and now you have to explain to the guest that you have to re-ring up their entire purchase.

And then you also have those times where reloading a suspended transaction freezes the register, and now you have to explain to the guest that you have to re-ring up their entire purchase.
Yeah, I always really enjoyed explaining that one to a guest. Since it was always the same cashiers that happened to, I would make them explain it to the guest and rering them up. I didn't get paid enough to back them up to their own stupidity.

Yeah, I always really enjoyed explaining that one to a guest. Since it was always the same cashiers that happened to, I would make them explain it to the guest and rering them up. I didn't get paid enough to back them up to their own stupidity.

Yup we have one cashier who constantly does this little "time saving" maneuver and pretty much once a shift at least this would happen and he would call me over to ask why this happened. He had quite a few guest complaints about it, but he had a good speed score so my GSTL would give him a pass. Even though that speed score is a direct result of him gaming the system, but whatever...

Yup we have one cashier who constantly does this little "time saving" maneuver and pretty much once a shift at least this would happen and he would call me over to ask why this happened. He had quite a few guest complaints about it, but he had a good speed score so my GSTL would give him a pass. Even though that speed score is a direct result of him gaming the system, but whatever...
Yep. I didn't care if my cashiers did it. I just didn't want them calling me over asking me to get them out of it and calm down the guest. After they realized I wasn't going to save them, they stopped that silliness.

DO the hanger thing!

It helps to keep the store green.

Because thats the most important thing...Looking good on a metric with a green score

Q01bZQ7.gif

I laugh in my head when a guest gets all excited when they are paying cash and have the correct amount. As they are standing there counting out their money, I am thinking to myself....this will put me in the red.

All I can think of when I am backing up and this happens is....Do you know what a debit card is?

Ermmmm.......I still write checks :oops:

I do too, but only for three bill that I mail out once a month.
Everything else I pay cash or debit card.
I haven't had a credit card in 15 years.

Almost all of the actual cashiers in my store are slow. They're spending all that time talking and building rapport with the guests so they can attempt to offer them a redcard. Salesfloor people are always trying to get away so it's just zoom zoom zoom. I have a really good speed score and no red cards lol. I fold the clothes when I'm up there unless they tell me not to.. But I fold clothes all day so I'm fast.

When I'm the guest, I'll remove hangers and fold my clothes and stick the tag out so I don't have to worry about cashiers balling my stuff up. They still do it. I don't wash most things before wearing them, tbh. I had to wait a couple weeks once for wrinkles to fall out of a faux leather jacket so since then, I usually come to the register prepared.

Why even use checks anymore? They're expensive and a PITA to write out... why? A debit card does the same thing and is free.

It's been a few years since I cashiered on a regular basis, but I was always told not to suspend transactions for the purpose of gaming my speed score. It actually said something to that effect in the cashier training guide.

We had a cashier who once had over 200 straight green transactions without suspending a single order. I think it was a change digger who ended her streak.

And re: clothes - either your clothes are folded nicely or you get out of here quickly. One or the other.

Ermmmm.......I still write checks :oops:

As long as you're not spending an eternity balancing your checkbook at the register, you're ok.

And when a guest has their checkbook, this is a great opportunity to sell the debit Red Card. How many times have you pitched it and the guest didn't have their checkbook?

I thought it was just at my former store! all my friends were saying this is what they are expected to do now! :(

I'll be honest - I say suspend when needed, but use it, don't abuse it. My cashiers know they are not supposed to do it on a consistent basis - ideally the idea of the suspend key is to stop the transaction so you can take another guest... leaving the offending guest more time to find their card, write their check, etc. OR to take the guest to another register to finish a transaction that had an issue. I have made it very clear to the cashiers that is NOT what the suspend key is for.

I 100% agree with unknown that our ways around speed barriers are faster for us, but not faster for the guest. I remember when I started "back in the day" Target didn't want us zipping through a transaction - they wanted you to go fast, but interact with the guest. That is why the setting is set as low as it is.

Bottom line - every store strives to be green. We are fighting a battle in a sense because we are measured on metrics that cannot be 100% controlled by a solid process or by simply fixing something. So yes, we have to cheat the system sometimes. I have found that as long as you are pleasant and have a good attitude the guest doesn't mind waiting the extra minute or so.

And when a guest has their checkbook, this is a great opportunity to sell the debit Red Card. How many times have you pitched it and the guest didn't have their checkbook?

Except when the guest DOES have their checkbook, 9/10 it's an elderly person who would rather not enter the modern era, digs their heels in, turns you down, writes the check and leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back