Archived Cashier?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANE

So here is the back story...

I was hired back in May of this year to flow. Softlines to be specific. I really enjoy it. My store is a 7:30 process so once the girls get finished with softlines (we work in a group and just bounce from section to section) we go to domestics, sporting goods, and toys... by that time the boys will have market finished and then we all group together to do HBA. We usually finish truck push about 3:30 PM every day.

Anyways, about two months ago our the PTL was shipped off due to a policy change? Mgmt was very vague as to reasoning. The Signing TM became the PTL so we went about a month without any signing getting done except what was completely necessary. About a three weeks ago my LOG ETL told me that I would become the new Signing TM. So they threw me into Presentation about three days out of the week the past couple of weeks. I am expected to break down Signing pallets but I am completely honest that I am clueless to what is going on or what I need to do. Obviously the PTL has zero time to help try to train me. So half of the time all I'm doing is in the back building shippers, bins, and any other signing common sense can get me through.

Well, the week of the Black Friday schedule was just posted. I'm scheduled Wed night to come in from 6PM to @AM to do all the signing alone? Then Thursday to cashier from 6P to 3A?? Did anyone catch that during working at Target I have never even been introduced to a register??

I've never worked retail before this and I'm terrified to think that Targets best practices are to throw a bunch of newbie cashiers to the front and wish for the best. Any advice on the best way to "fake it"?

Don't fake it. They probably assumed you got your obligatory day of cashier training when you started. Talk to HR or your ETL immediately about that. Tell them you haven't been trained, so you either need to be trained or switch with someone else who has been trained.

We've had salesfloor TM's that'd never had cashier shifts jump on as backup and do okay, but, yeah, not a great idea, especially when it's going to be the busiest shift all year.

So I spoke with my ETL today, and told her I havn't been trained on cashiering. I stressed that I don't have the faintest idea what I'll be doing up there. Her response..."That's why you are scheduled at 5:45p and not 6:00p. You will be trained then. Don't worry it won't be too bad. Now get back to stocking." I feel completely reassured now....not!

Your store sounds like a bit of nightmare.
To hand you the signing position without proper training is setting you up to fail and putting you on register like that is even worse.
I would have asked to be sent to another store for training on the signing which is the very least they could have done for signing.
As to register they should give you at least one entire shift to learn the damn thing before you have to work Black Friday.
I always did security on Black Friday and I had basic register training.

My first BF as a GSA, I was assigned 15 lanes (it was a SuperTarget) and 15 cashiers, none of whom had been on a register before - all backroom and flow TMs. I had 15 minute to teach them how to ring and how to drive REDCards. Every single one of them got at least one REDCard (some more) and we had an absolute ball! I was running around like crazy, giving prizes, hugs, training, laughing with the guests. Don't sweat it. It's a couple hours of chaos followed by several hours of games and food and prizes.

I tell you, Target isn't a bad place to work but the management and higher up demands make it so. This is just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back