Archived cashiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Our store leadership has stopped having 8 hour shifts for cashiers. The reason for this is: 8 hour shifts are quite long, standing in one place is difficult and the long shifts seem to cause cashiers to "burn out" more quickly.

My question is this: Is this 8 hour shift change coming from my store leaders, from the DTL, or from higher up on the Target ladder?

The shorter shifts are 4 to 5 1/2 hours long.....and these shorter shifts will impact people who get their health benefits from Target.

I've talked with my HR-ETL and she says that they'll watch my hours to be sure that I will qualify for health benefits, but it won't be with any 8 hour shifts as a cashier. I'm in a "wait and see" mode for the time being.

Anyway.......anyone got feedback for me?

That's weird. Our cashiers have rediciuloucly long shifts. 8.5-10 hours normally.
Also, to be fair, unless it's super busy, you aren't necessarily always standing in the same spot. You can walk around a bit when no ones there.

Your store, I think. Do you have SCO? Our SCO is 1 open, 1 close, each 7 hours. SCO runs around and is not supposed to stand still. Maybe you could ask about that.

My old store scheduled cashiers (and usually also FR operators) 5.5 hour shifts, but it was moreso due to issues with lunch coverage. My current store still schedules full shifts for cashiers, though.

I don't think it's a terrible idea if that's truly why they're losing cashiers, but I feel like if that's the real reason it should be discussed with each team member individually. If its non-negotiable, maybe see if you can cross train and work a different workcenter for the couple hours after lunch? I'm not sure that's even possible with E2E in place these days, but I'm sure a lot of salesfloor areas could use help with zoning or gobacks if they're allowed to.

My store has started doing the same...especially during the week. Weekends usually have longer shifts so idk...

Meanwhile while BR is standing lifting heavy shit and doing fine

Cart attendants too
They mean standing in one spot vs standing and moving around. And they are very different; I've done my share of 12+ hour flow/salesfloor shifts non-stop walking with no strain on my legs, but after 4 hours of cashiering my feet are killing me and my calves feel ready to explode. Time spent beyond that I'm doing the flamingo at the register, lol.

I'd rather lean at a register than make laps around the store and lift paletts tbh

I have an 8 hour cashier shift today so it might just be your stores leadership! However at my store we are all over the place, I'll go from register to SCO and back like 3 times over so it keeps me from getting burned out

Last edited:
Well I don't want to cashier. I'd just lean there

Backroom also pays more so I don't wanna take a cut, as little as that is

Once E2E starts you'll at least be backup cashiering (if you stick around for that change). Leadership is cracking down on everyone going for backup not just SL (or other dept. closest to lanes)

Nah, I'll never backup cashier. As a brtm, I got this spot to avoid asshole guest. I'll just ignore calls until I get termed. Of course, I'll let them know before hand im not comfortable dealing with other people's money.

Once E2E starts you'll at least be backup cashiering (if you stick around for that change). Leadership is cracking down on everyone going for backup not just SL (or other dept. closest to lanes)

In theory yes but some stores are not cashier training certain team members for whatever reason. We have some flow team members (who are officially market now) we wouldn't want handling money.

The most we schedule someone in our store is 7.75 hours so we don't have overtime. MyTime has been scheduling a lot of shorter shifts. I know our cashiers are not happy about coming in for a four-hour shift. Some get more, but I haven't heard anything about not scheduling full shifts

The most we schedule someone in our store is 7.75 hours so we don't have overtime. MyTime has been scheduling a lot of shorter shifts. I know our cashiers are not happy about coming in for a four-hour shift. Some get more, but I haven't heard anything about not scheduling full shifts

Ah, are you in a more than 8 hours a day overtime state? We scheduled our minors like that because they hit compliance at 8

We have a mix of cashiers who are willing to work long shifts and others (mostly older folks) who want short shifts plus minors who get short ones so it pretty much works.

For backup: SL, HL, instocks, pricing, presentation, and signing all get assigned hours. Two or three per hour. Unless it's crazy busy and they want everyone on a register, you only worry about your hour. And we can trade off with each other if we want to. Just gotta make sure you are not on break/lunch during your hour!

It's really because in most places once you hit that 6 hour you have to take a lunch break which is time you're not working. So they decided let's just give them a little 15 and send them home before lunch time :p

We don't have SCOs.

I've already talked to my HR about needing hours to keep my medical benefits and she's said that she'll keep an eye out on my hours and schedule me in other work centers, too. I can easily work in softlines or hardlines without any problem.

Now my LOD in softlines has mentioned to our STL and ETL-GE that they could consider me for morning shifts for truck days.
Don't know if our ETL-LOG would go for that. I'm not a morning person, but if I could get 4 to 6 hours three days a week and three cashier shifts right after that....well, I might just consider it. I am assuming that I'd cashier after the truck has been unloaded and then be done at a reasonable time of day.

At the moment I think that I might have some options available in the coming weeks. I just hope that LODs are wise and offer me some good options.

I have have a lot of guests that come to my line because they like me and they love to see me because I am always friendly....and I love cashiering, so I don't see me not being a cashier and I don't think that guests would like it if I wasn't a cashier.

Today my HR clerical TM said that "mytime" is now scheduling all cashier shifts....no shift will be longer than 5 hours.....it is supposed to stop having meal breaks for the front end. I thought that it was just my store however, it sounds as if this is going to be for all Spot stores.

So long shifts may be a thing of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back