Archived CEO Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
He definitely showed, and he was super impressed with our store. I, on the other hand, was far from impressed with our Executives who held a TL meeting in the middle of the floor to congratulate the Team Leads on picking up the slack when the "careless and lazy team members" didn't do their jobs. Yeah, that was super nice to hear. Especially after the Team Leads were nowhere to be found while we (the careless and lazy team members) were doing last minute 4x4's with no scanners.

He definitely showed, and he was super impressed with our store. I, on the other hand, was far from impressed with our Executives who held a TL meeting in the middle of the floor to congratulate the Team Leads on picking up the slack when the "careless and lazy team members" didn't do their jobs. Yeah, that was super nice to hear. Especially after the Team Leads were nowhere to be found while we (the careless and lazy team members) were doing last minute 4x4's with no scanners.
we had a major corporate visit today too. I wonder if we work in the same store haha

when he visited our store he was impressed as well. I dont think it was any worse than a DTL or Group visit.. but the store suddenly found hundreds of hours and shot overtime to all the dedicated tms who werent scared to work 50-60 hours for the two weeks prior. the other visits we get crapped on and get no extra payroll.. Hell, they even scrubbed the concrete outside. It was like a tooth whitening party out there. it was so bright, it hurt my eyes.

when he visited our store he was impressed as well. I dont think it was any worse than a DTL or Group visit.. but the store suddenly found hundreds of hours and shot overtime to all the dedicated tms who werent scared to work 50-60 hours for the two weeks prior. the other visits we get crapped on and get no extra payroll.. Hell, they even scrubbed the concrete outside. It was like a tooth whitening party out there. it was so bright, it hurt my eyes.
I think I replaced miles of label holders on the basedecks....miles and miles.

I am sure the ETLs were all acting like royalty entered the store when the CEO came in.

we had a major corporate visit today too. I wonder if we work in the same store haha

We had a big visit at my store, too.I dont think it was the CEO, but I dont have a clue who it was. I didn't work during it.

I would love for the CEO (heck, I'd love for the district manager) to see our store without giving us notice. The store is falling apart at the seams. Better yet, I'd love for them to come in when the TL's and ETL's are having one of there wonderful "meetings" in Starbucks talking about nothing target related.

visits should be unannounced and happen at random times and instead of one large "team" going store to store they should split up in pairs of two or whatever if there are multiple stores in the same area. so none of the ETLs can call their friends and warn them about it.

Our district home store is like 8 miles away so we get a walk (formal or not) about once a week. We've had some pretty rough payroll weeks where all I can do is keep my head low and ask myself 'why are they letting him see this crap'

The whole DTL, group, CEO, etc visit crap makes me laugh. "Oh the queen/king is coming by. We must appease them or we will not receive our rations for the month!" Garbage. Do your jobs properly in the first place and there won't be problems, and that includes allocating proper payroll of fighting for the payroll your store(s) require. You can't always put lipstick on a pig. Eventually, it's going to oink.

The whole DTL, group, CEO, etc visit crap makes me laugh. "Oh the queen/king is coming by. We must appease them or we will not receive our rations for the month!" Garbage. Do your jobs properly in the first place and there won't be problems, and that includes allocating proper payroll of fighting for the payroll your store(s) require. You can't always put lipstick on a pig. Eventually, it's going to oink.

While I agree to an extent, your store leaders can't simply fight for more payroll for the store. It gets its payroll from high up the chain, and you will be coached heavily if you say "We aren't getting enough payroll to get the job done"... Its suicide for your career if you make it known you think your store deserves more payroll unless some crazy remodel occurs.

I've always been a believer in the idea that if you need help, ask for it. Not asking for it is always much worse. We are even told that at team member level.

Just a heads up guys-- the visits from BP's/DTL's/Groups, ect. ARE supposed to be announced and scheduled. These serve as a learning opportunity for ETL's and to ensure business is running smoothly. I hate to break it to you, but these visits are NOT to get ETL's in trouble (since STL's are in charge of that/ STL's know whats going on), but these visits CAN BE used to get TL's into trouble and sweating. As much as everyone imagines the visits to serve as warnings to ETL's-- it's quite the opposite. If you haven't figured out already, no matter how absolutely clueless and ignorant an ETL is, they will almost ALWAYS take the side of the ETL over a TM/TL. Target invests thousands upon thousands into ETL's (over 6 figures in 2-3 years).. you have to be with spot like a decade as a TM to get any attention (and not the good kind). Basically, the company is designed to lose TM's/TL's regularly but NOT etl's. So think about it next time-- who's easier to replace? And how quickly can someone learn your position?

Just a heads up guys-- the visits from BP's/DTL's/Groups, ect. ARE supposed to be announced and scheduled. These serve as a learning opportunity for ETL's and to ensure business is running smoothly. I hate to break it to you, but these visits are NOT to get ETL's in trouble (since STL's are in charge of that/ STL's know whats going on), but these visits CAN BE used to get TL's into trouble and sweating. As much as everyone imagines the visits to serve as warnings to ETL's-- it's quite the opposite. If you haven't figured out already, no matter how absolutely clueless and ignorant an ETL is, they will almost ALWAYS take the side of the ETL over a TM/TL. Target invests thousands upon thousands into ETL's (over 6 figures in 2-3 years).. you have to be with spot like a decade as a TM to get any attention (and not the good kind). Basically, the company is designed to lose TM's/TL's regularly but NOT etl's. So think about it next time-- who's easier to replace? And how quickly can someone learn your position?

Actually, in our store, it's almost exclusively the opposite of what you said. They are usually unscheduled, or only scheduled the day before, and the visitors crack down on the executives and treat most of us TMs well. Spot would HAPPILY get rid of ETLs, because at the end of the day, those people are costing them the most money.

Etls are easy to replace lol. All these kids graduating every year with BAs and no jobs in their field, Target gets them. You can pay a brand new etl less than a seasoned one. And the execs definitely receive direct criticism from the DTL over here.

Majority of the TLs I've encountered in the last 3 years have been with target for a gazillion years. In the last two we got a few young ones. We have TMs who are having double digit anniversaries, so they've been with the company 1.5 gazillion years.

I wish they'd fire me. I'll probably be stuck here forever otherwise lol as shown by my response to that why are you still with tgt thread.

There is no shortage of 22 year-olds graduating from middle to lower-tier public universities in the United States who will jump at $50,000 per year jobs coming fresh out of college. They're a dime a dozen, actually.

Now, people who have the knowledge and ability to step in and perform the tasks and leadership that takes years to develop in a permanent position? That isn't as easy to replace. Whether corporate leadership recognizes this or not is up for debate.

Target does not have a model for leadership development that will work. Observe successful retailers. Store managers and above either progress through the ranks of company from below over the course of many years or they enter the company with rich experience with other companies. Of course there are exceptions, and some folks have posted about these experiences. Most, however, will not be prepared to lead teams of 100, 200 people and all the other responsibilities, unless all of that is dumbed down and in fact handled by other layers of management, which is inefficient and can largely be solved by instead installing someone with the necessary seasoning and, thus, skills.

There is no shortage of 22 year-olds graduating from middle to lower-tier public universities in the United States who will jump at $50,000 per year jobs coming fresh out of college. They're a dime a dozen, actually.

Now, people who have the knowledge and ability to step in and perform the tasks and leadership that takes years to develop in a permanent position? That isn't as easy to replace. Whether corporate leadership recognizes this or not is up for debate.

Target does not have a model for leadership development that will work. Observe successful retailers. Store managers and above either progress through the ranks of company from below over the course of many years or they enter the company with rich experience with other companies. Of course there are exceptions, and some folks have posted about these experiences. Most, however, will not be prepared to lead teams of 100, 200 people and all the other responsibilities, unless all of that is dumbed down and in fact handled by other layers of management, which is inefficient and can largely be solved by instead installing someone with the necessary seasoning and, thus, skills.
Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back