Archived Changing positions/departments

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been a cashier for a while and I've passed my 90 days. I was told by HR that after my 90 days I can change positions and I would like to work in another department because cashiering just isn't for me.

I have a shift today and plan to talk to HR about it, will I be able to start training today? How fast does it take to switch? I really don't think I can stand another long shift of cashiering.

I'd like to do softlines, hardlines or grocery.

It all depends on your store and where they might need more people. You most likely won’t get switched right away, and no you won’t be able to start training for a new position today. Honestly, odds are your store probably has the schedule up for the next 2 weeks, and you’ll probably have to just stick it out and keep cashiering until then unless you give up all your shifts or work something out with your leadership where they can find coverage.

But yeah, it’s usually not that simple, and I do wish you luck but sometimes it takes a lot of pestering to be able to switch positions like that. I would be open to the idea of transferring to another store if necessary :)

Changing positions helps you improve skills and livens things up.

Sometimes if you pick up swap shift that is out of your area then you might get some quick training.
I finally got fully GS trained when I picked up a few GS shifts.
It is amazing what can happen if you volunteer to work someplace that you aren't trained for!!

I usually won't move people immediately but start letting them pick up shifts. Once the TL of the new area is on board, then I will move the TM. (Not an ETL, just a HR TM.)

I always talk to the hr etl and relevant TLs asap.

It can also depend on what area you want to switch to. It might take longer to get switched to something like SFS, Backroom, or a few other positions that take a bit more training to learn how to do properly. Some positions really take a decent amount of training to do properly or they can be really screwed up. Hours, availability of someone to train you, and if an ETL/TL wants the hassle that come from training someone new in a position at that moment can also play a role.

Also, if you are on good terms with the TLs that can help. It took me about 3 years to get trained in another position and then it just snowballed from there. Got hired in as BR, finally got trained in pricing, plano, SFS and worked my way up to receiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back