Archived chip card rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ludicrous. They even put an arrow on the card telling the guest which way it goes in. C'mon, it's not rocket science.
*looks at card* I'll be damned...Lol.

We actually have quite a few guests with older chip cards. Double black diamond card or whatever...it's real metal and thick for one. But the chip didn't get read because it's so old or something. I'd die without the the strikes then swipe rule...at least once a day only doing backup I have this problem. We suggest they just call the bank and ask for a new one.

Do you mean the SNAP cards? (All debit cards are EBT cards...it just means electronic bank transfer).

EBT is Electronic Benefits Transfer. Food stamp cards are still widely referred to as EBT cards in my state.

EFT is Electronic Funds Transfer. That's the one that refers to any payment card.

While we're sorta on the topic, are ebt cards now required to be typed in?? They never work with a swipe when I'm on register so I'm assuming this might actually be a "feature."

No, you can still swipe them. Like @Retail Girl mentioned earlier, your state probably issues cheap crappy cards that stop working after a while. SNAP cards here in NY are terrible (or maybe our guests are just extra rough with them?).

This store has really made me abandon any hope I had for the human race. Honestly, I'm not asking for people to be extremely intelligent, I just don't understand why having simple logic is so rare these days. Or at least be a decent human being.

when they insert it and pull it out right away when i tell them to leave it there and do the same thing 2-3 times before listening and then leave there card in there longer than it needs to be. so sick of hearing that beeping. it seriously annoys me when they let it beep more than 5 times. they just stare at it confused.

when they insert it and pull it out right away when i tell them to leave it there and do the same thing 2-3 times before listening and then leave there card in there longer than it needs to be. so sick of hearing that beeping. it seriously annoys me when they let it beep more than 5 times. they just stare at it confused.
Story of my life. Or they won't let go of it, or if they do they're so anxious to pull it out.

We actually have quite a few guests with older chip cards. Double black diamond card or whatever...it's real metal and thick for one. But the chip didn't get read because it's so old or something. I'd die without the the strikes then swipe rule...at least once a day only doing backup I have this problem. We suggest they just call the bank and ask for a new one.
Yep....titanium. They don't shred well, in case you were wondering. Don't even ask how I know this~lol!

I have been so tempted to say "just leave the damn card in until you see "thank you" on the screen!!!"

Before we got our chip readers in July people would ask (rudely) if we have the chip yet. Now, it seems, like everyone is using them for the first time.

Funny story. Before the chip & pin was implemented I had a guest slap the top of reader with her car then look at me wondering why it didn't work.

I think the new thing people are getting antsy about is Apple Pay. I've had a couple people ask while putting their phone up to the reader. When i say no, not yet they act bothered that they have to reach into their wallets.

I used to always tell them "just leave the card in the reader... the machine will tell you when to remove the card"
it seemed to work.
Honk honk
I see you've got a chip, know how it works?
No
Right side up, little gold thing in first. Stick it in, leave it in, it will walk you through like normal. Don't take it out till it says.
Honk honk HONK
welcome to your new secure life. Lol.

Before we got our chip readers in July people would ask (rudely) if we have the chip yet. Now, it seems, like everyone is using them for the first time.

Funny story. Before the chip & pin was implemented I had a guest slap the top of reader with her car then look at me wondering why it didn't work.

I think the new thing people are getting antsy about is Apple Pay. I've had a couple people ask while putting their phone up to the reader. When i say no, not yet they act bothered that they have to reach into their wallets.
Guests are just stupid a lot of the time!

FYI, even if you request a new one, they are still metal.

FYI, even if you request a new one, they are still metal.
It's only the generation of the chip that's the issue. That's the one card I know that's had them in the U.S. before the readers were turned on recently. Every other one I know is Canadian issued...

It's only the generation of the chip that's the issue. That's the one card I know that's had them in the U.S. before the readers were turned on recently. Every other one I know is Canadian issued...
I have a Chase card that's been metal w/the chip for over a year. We've used it with the readers with no issue (not ours though.)

I have a Chase card that's been metal w/the chip for over a year. We've used it with the readers with no issue (not ours though.)
All my guests tell me the same thing ;-)

Between sips of their nonfat half caf no whip extra drizzle latte of course...while sneering down their d&g sunglasses like I'm saying they don't have the funds. Since I can see they have the latest iphone, which they pulled out of their oversized coach purse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back