Archived chip card rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not looking forward to black thursday/ black friday tbh when half the people still can't even figure out the machines. I honestly do not have the patience to deal with people who can't figure it out it literally says don't remove and what do they do ( remove) or put it backwards..... I swear......

Anyone having problems with the chips? I'm about to be on my 4th card. The chips themselves seem to me that they can't much abuse. My old strip card lasted years and always work even when it looked like shit.

Guest is having trouble with the chip card. I reach for the pad to help her...
Guest:"I KNOW how to do this! I've done it before! I am not an old person!"
Me:"MMM-hm.."
I step back,drop my hands, and smile.
LITERALLY 2 seconds later she has messed it up and needs to ask me a question.
I smile wider. She looks up.
Me,nicely:"Can I help you?"

The thing I hate about the chip card is guests on their phone are so involved in that conversation they can't operate the damn machine.
*swipe*
BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ
OK just put the chip in here miss, no in the slot here, keep going, no don't take it out until it yells angrily at you, don't take it--you took it out ok put it back in please.

Then, after that whole ordeal the card reader says "please wait" and they go back to their phone
"blahblahblahblah-" BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ "blahblahblah-" "Miss please take your card out now" BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ "Hurry up, why is this taking so long?! Sorry John, as I was saying-" BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ at this point after two solid minutes I reach over, take their card out of the machine, and hand it to them. "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY CARD HOW DARE YOU CALL YOUR MANAGER OVER HERE NOW THIS IS HORRIBLE SERVICE"

Funny story. Before the chip & pin was implemented I had a guest slap the top of reader with her car then look at me wondering why it didn't work.

Maybe the guest had one of those PayPass cards? I believe that's how PayPass worked (or works...not sure if it's still a thing).

As someone already said I think people seriously want to waste time with these because they can. One day about fifteen or twenty minutes before we were closing, I had a huge line of people and this couple were checking out. I tell the girl that she has to leave her card in and not remove it after she puts it in and removes it. Then she proceeds to do it again, "no, you have to leave it in the entire time," third time... she puts it in.. gets halfway through it before pulling the card out and saying "I want to use a different card."

Then of course, the register freezes and I have to move them and eeeeeeveryone else over to a different register, ring up their items again and try to get through the long line I had. I don't think I got off a register til we closed. :mad:

Yep....titanium. They don't shred well, in case you were wondering. Don't even ask how I know this~lol!

Are you talking about Chase Sapphire Preferred? I've got six of those cards, in a drawer at home. Supposedly, they send out envelopes to "recycle" your old card, and you can get a $25 statement credit... but I've never bothered, because I have no idea where a UPS Drop Box is.

They are made from Titanium. And no matter what you try.. you can not cut them up. On the bright side, they made amazing ice scrapers during the winter ;)

Maybe the guest had one of those PayPass cards? I believe that's how PayPass worked (or works...not sure if it's still a thing).
Some of the credit & debit cards, from Bank of America had this. There's a small chip on the back of them, and when held up to a reader (like ApplePay) the machine would beep, and your purchase would be paid for.

Was kinda coolish. You could wave your wallet over the terminal at Walgreens, and *beep* Approved. And out the store you go :)

Are you talking about Chase Sapphire Preferred? I've got six of those cards, in a drawer at home. Supposedly, they send out envelopes to "recycle" your old card, and you can get a $25 statement credit... but I've never bothered, because I have no idea where a UPS Drop Box is.

They are made from Titanium. And no matter what you try.. you can not cut them up. On the bright side, they made amazing ice scrapers during the winter ;)
Mine's from Chase, but it's not a Sapphire. I managed to cut ours up with my Cutco scissors. They never told me about the $25 statement credit!!! Ours was compromised & they just told me to "destroy" them.....assholes!!!

Btw, most post offices have ups drop boxes of you have it all packaged. ;)

Last edited:
Had a pharmacy guest who didn't want to use the chip reader??? Told him he would have to use a different card, then, because I had no other way to run it through. He said "they are just SAYING these are more secure, they're really not..." His non-chip card was declined, so he didn't have a choice. I realize I could've faked out the system to think it was a defective chip, but he was just being a jerk...

I realize I could've faked out the system to think it was a defective chip, but he was just being a jerk...

Notice came from corporate a while back stating to never do that.

We are to make them insert the chip. If they do so three times and it fails all three times it will tell them to swipe it instead. If it fails to swipe, then and only then are we to initiate the process that allows them to type in their #'s.

I managed to cut ours up with my Cutco scissors.
OMG!!! I just googled "Cutco" because I wanted a pair of those awesome scissors, and it's $112. I'd have to mail quite a few cards to them, to buy that ;)

Btw, most post offices have ups drop boxes of you have it all packaged. ;)
I didn't know that. :) Would have come in useful last year, when I was forced to mail a box for my store.

Last edited:
OMG!!! I just googled "Cutco" because I wanted a pair of those awesome scissors, and it's $112. I'd have to mail quite a few cards to them, to buy that ;)

I didn't know that. :) Would have come in useful last year, when I was forced to mail a box for my store.
Mine were a gift, so I didn't pay for them; but those suckers will cut through ANYTHING!!!

Most post offices should have them....even the one in my Podunk town does. lol!

Notice came from corporate a while back stating to never do that.

We are to make them insert the chip. If they do so three times and it fails all three times it will tell them to swipe it instead. If it fails to swipe, then and only then are we to initiate the process that allows them to type in their #'s.
Gee, surprise, we never got that memo. I wouldn't let someone do it anyway, I'm too much of a cynic ;)

Best is when people apparently lose any attention span they had because they get to wait the for card to get read and look around completely ignoring the card reader. Sooooo we both stand there, and they get that attitude like "what's the hold up?" and I just smile and look at the reader, then back to them, then back to the reader. Then they get the hint.
Or when they jam the card in so hard the card reader can't read it and says 'error.' I had a lady this week whose transaction wouldn't go through on the one reader, so they asked me to try it on my register. So she jams the card in and what do you know?! it doesn't go through. So then I gently tap it in for her, and it works. Magic. Then she got snide about it not working before, so I had to make it a point to tell her that gently is key. Gently darling

Alright. I just had a cashier tell me about this last night.

Apparently a few weeks back she had a gentleman come through her line with a hole in his credit card. Turns out he put a drill through the chip in his card because he didn't like it and wasn't going to use it. She nearly died right then and there, and had a hard time explaining to him that he was not going to be able to use the card without it.

My chase debit card has paypass. I don't know how it works, because I don't see a chip or anything on the back. But I just hold it on the paypad and it immediately goes through and prints a receipt. The only place I'm able to use it at is a certain gas station chain, Subway, and Walgreens. I actually like it a lot!

My chase debit card has paypass. I don't know how it works, because I don't see a chip or anything on the back. But I just hold it on the paypad and it immediately goes through and prints a receipt. The only place I'm able to use it at is a certain gas station chain, Subway, and Walgreens. I actually like it a lot!

Do you have to keep it in one of those sleeves? If so, it has a RFID transponder embedded in it, and when you hold it near the card reader, the machine detects the transponder and reads the info encoded in it.

Do you have to keep it in one of those sleeves? If so, it has a RFID transponder embedded in it, and when you hold it near the card reader, the machine detects the transponder and reads the info encoded in it.
I've never been told to keep it in a sleeve, but that's probably a good idea!

Alright. I just had a cashier tell me about this last night.

Apparently a few weeks back she had a gentleman come through her line with a hole in his credit card. Turns out he put a drill through the chip in his card because he didn't like it and wasn't going to use it. She nearly died right then and there, and had a hard time explaining to him that he was not going to be able to use the card without it.
What a dumbass :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back